Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with a new car...

• 02-03-2010 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭

Long one so bear with me...

Ok, after well over a year my father might finally be edging close to changing his car and I need opinions on his options.

Basically he has a 2006 Focus 1.6 Ghia saloon with only 43k km up on it and is willing to spend up to €20k on top of this. But it's not a target like he keeps saying.

His requirements are a good spec (matching what he has and that's got a few extras), boot big enough for two golf bags and trollys, comfy seats and something peppy and economical (the Focus is peppy to him). He (read my mother) wont go older than 2008. Oh and a "C" reg:rolleyes:

He came close on a few cars but for one reason and another he decided against them.

So the options are an 09 Mondeo Zetec 1.8 tdci, a new Mazda 3 Sport spec 1.6 diesel and an Octavia VRS diesel (or even a high spec 1.6 diesel might swing it).

But - and this is a big but with regard to modern diesels - he does about 6k miles a year and almost all around town. I've mentioned to him about DPF's and DMF's recently and he's been reading up on them and now has doubts.

So last weekend he called and said he had a run in a 2008 Mondeo 1.6 Zetec with fcek all mileage on it. He was happy with the power and everything else. Plus the cost to change was over €6k less than the cheapest of the other alternatives - less than half his budget.

Am I right in thinking this would be a better buy now over say the Mazda 3 diesel based on reliability (or potential for unreliability) and resale say in two to three years, i.e. would it be a cheaper option? If anyone has any other suggestions on something fire away too.

Cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

€ 20 k would easily get him into a 09 or 10 current model Subaru Legacy Diesel and if its the current one no DPF problems as it has an open DPF well speced cheap road ttax and AWD included !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

At the risk of being predictable - Octavia 1.2 TSI? Of his list, the VRS naturally. I'd say the Mondeo 1.6 will be worth **** all in a couple of years.

Of course he could always get a Citroen C5. Say a nice 2008 model. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If he is only doing 6k miles a year then I think diesel is a waste of money for him.

He should look at the brand new Opel Astra 1.4 litre petrol, it costs €156 to tax has around 100bhp or the 1.4 litre (140bhp) turbo and should be able to get a high spec SE or Elite model well within budget.

Details here: http://www.opel.ie/opel/europe/ireland/wholesale/en1/home/vehicles/view_all_vehicles/passengercars/astra_ng/features_specs/trims-models.html

If he is still set on a diesel then the Astra also comes in 1.3 litre CDTi which costs €104 to tax per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Berty wrote: »
    Oh COME ON! Skoda Superb!!! Ambition spec would suit him fine. Big car.

Ah the Superb. The new Octavia of the Motors forum ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Paste ;)

FWIW if your father does 6k per year and buys a (nearly) new low mileage diesel to sell it on again in a few years time, he is unlikely to ever have a DMF problem :)

For well within his budget he could get a brand new Octavia 1.6d. Low tax, low running costs and easy peasy to sell on in 4 years time with 24k on it.

I'd say it would fit 5 golf bags and trolleys, 10 with the back seat down :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Where did that Berty comment go?

He reckons the Superb is too big:D

He said no to the Legacy, doesn't like the Astra:confused: and is calling into Skoda this evening.

Oh and Padraig Mor - the C5 may be a bit wide for fitting between gates:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The only thing I'd be wary about with the Mondeo is that a lot of the 1.6's were used as rental cars. It might not have been, but it's worth checking.

Not sure where in Cork you are, but I'd recommend heading out to Tarrants if it's not too far, and tell them I sent you ;)

Focus has to be worth at least €7,500 as a trade in. I'd be looking at the Octavia 1.6Tdi DSG Elegance, or the 2.0Tdi should be in budget if he wants quicker.

You can always take it for a good blast once in a while - to clear the DPF of course :D

ok, he's also spotted an 08 2 litre petrol Titanium X Mondeo.

Anyone have any experience of them? He seems to be dismissing the diesel a bit more. He also said he *may* keep onto it for a bit longer than usual because of the 2 litre being sale proof

Fine car. Nobody wants a 2l petrol anymore though, so he'd need to get it for a bargain basement price (not much more than half the price of a new one). And then indeed, keep it for a long time.

unkel wrote: »
    Fine car. Nobody wants a 2l petrol anymore though, so he'd need to get it for a bargain basement price (not much more than half the price of a new one). And then indeed, keep it for a long time.

The one he's spotted is less than half the price of a new one:D

Spec looks great on it too - not online yet though. I'd be of the view with that car it's a keeper for years. Will try and get more details on it if I can

• Advertisement

Titanium X is a nice spec alright.

Heated leather, cruise, bluetooth, parking sensors, climate...:D

EPM wrote: »
    The one he's spotted is less than half the price of a new one:D

Spec looks great on it too - not online yet though. I'd be of the view with that car it's a keeper for years. Will try and get more details on it if I can

Make sure the push button start has been replaced already as all the Titanium models we had in 08 (including 2 x 2.0i) had that done.

Double check the service intervals on that model. It should be a FlexiFuel so may have intervals every 10,000km rather than 20,000km - makes a difference to the cost of ownership on these things. It looks we are doing them every 20k, but don't know if that's correct.

Whats the deal with that FFV thing? Make any difference to roadtax? 10k km would be ok for him - gets the other thing done every year with the small mileage.

Still cant help thinking an Octavia would be better

Respect for your old man :D

The new model Mondeo is a far superior car compared to an Octavia. At less than half the price for a 2 year old one, he's onto a winner!

Just hope it's in good nick and all that now. Could finally be a purchase at the end of this one...

FFV is the flexifuel system which runs on E85 bio-ethanol, afaik only Maxol sell it at the moment but it is cheaper than unleaded. Thing is that most Mondeo FFVs I've seen are pretty basic spec wise.

Would there be a drawback using normal pertol in it?

Advert is now up but no pics. Doesn't mention FFV. Is it possible it's just a 2.0 litre normal petrol?

Aplolgies for the questions, it's just that anytime there's a thread on this bio-ethanol stuff it bores me and I ignore them:pac:

Afaik the FFV in the Mondeo is a 2.0 litre petrol engine and can run on a mixture of unleaded and bio-ethanol.

If it is just a normal 2.0 litre petrol Mondeo then I would run away as your father will be married to it. Nobody wants 2.0 litre petrol Mondeos in this country unless they have some advantage such as the FFV's lower Co2 emmissions.

At the start of 08 the cars were just normal petrol powered. Ford must have figured out ir was easy to adapt them for E85 so for Ireland they got the €2,500 FlexiFuel VRT discount.

It's the same engine - not sure what adaptation they did to enable E85 running. Will probably run better on normal unleaded.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    . Nobody wants 2.0 litre petrol Mondeos in this country unless they have some advantage such as the FFV's lower Co2 emmissions.

Or a bloody nice spec!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Nobody wants 2.0 litre petrol Mondeos in this country unless they have some advantage such as the FFV's lower Co2 emmissions.

Except the FFV doesn't - road tax is the same for the FFV and standard models.

I'd try and get a standard 2.0 - why bother having a car with 10k km service intervals when you can have one that can go twice the distance? Fair enough the OP's dad may do less than that kind of mileage - but someone who might be looking for such a car in a few years' time may not and the FFV will be less desirable as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Personally I'd sell the Focus privately and go to the dealers looking for a straight cash deal. That's of course if you can sell it, but I'd definetly advertise it first anyway. This is the way I prefer to do it myself and you should come away with a much better deal. It also then gives you the option of buying privately and cutting out the middle man.

It's the way I always do it myself, but some people don't like the risks involved. I've always been sucessful myself and never had a single buyer come back to me or had a problems with any of the cars I bought privately.

I do like the latest Mondeo, but I always prefer to buy Mondeo's at least few years old (3-5 years) as they always depreciated rapidly in the first few years.
    Oh and a "C" regrolleyes.gif
    I know a few people that are very fussy about this actually. As a Cork man myself, I quite happy with my "LK" reg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I'd always want a C reg on my car but wouldn't refuse to buy a car simply because it had a country reg on it, and I wouldn't expect to pay less because the car has a country reg either.

Just an update.

He went to look at the 2 litre Titanium X spec Mondeo today and was very happy with it. Low mileage (~20k), FSH, Xenons, Leather and Alcantara heated seats, front and read parking sensors, climate, cruise, bluetooth, 6 cd changer - the works apparantly. (A certain poster here could add anything extra since he was sniffing about it today too:D)

Did the deal there and then and collecting it friday.

FWIW - €8500 with his own which I think is a pretty good deal.

Hehe.....I should have got there earlier! Nice car, great condition. Well wear!

edit: goes to show that a well priced car will be snapped up.

What colour exterior / interior? One of my favourites that we have on our temporary fleet is an 08 Titanium X Auto diesel in black with black interior. Lovely to drive and really comfy.

Only problem I have is the feckin parking sensors. They are always on, even if you are stopped. Queing in traffic, if you get too close to the car in front they start beeping. If you reverse to near a wall, they beep as they should, but on most other cars when you take it out of reverse, they stop. Not the Mondeo - just keeps on beeping till you turn it off.

Easy to stop as the button for them is on the dash, but you'll have to remember to turn them on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Long one so bear with me...

Ok, after well over a year my father might finally be edging close to changing his car and I need opinions on his options.

Basically he has a 2006 Focus 1.6 Ghia saloon with only 43k km up on it and is willing to spend up to €20k on top of this. But it's not a target like he keeps saying.

His requirements are a good spec (matching what he has and that's got a few extras), boot big enough for two golf bags and trollys, comfy seats and something peppy and economical (the Focus is peppy to him). He (read my mother) wont go older than 2008. Oh and a "C" reg:rolleyes:

He came close on a few cars but for one reason and another he decided against them.

So the options are an 09 Mondeo Zetec 1.8 tdci, a new Mazda 3 Sport spec 1.6 diesel and an Octavia VRS diesel (or even a high spec 1.6 diesel might swing it).

But - and this is a big but with regard to modern diesels - he does about 6k miles a year and almost all around town. I've mentioned to him about DPF's and DMF's recently and he's been reading up on them and now has doubts.

So last weekend he called and said he had a run in a 2008 Mondeo 1.6 Zetec with fcek all mileage on it. He was happy with the power and everything else. Plus the cost to change was over €6k less than the cheapest of the other alternatives - less than half his budget.

Am I right in thinking this would be a better buy now over say the Mazda 3 diesel based on reliability (or potential for unreliability) and resale say in two to three years, i.e. would it be a cheaper option? If anyone has any other suggestions on something fire away too.

Cheers:D

May I ask why your father wants to change his current 2006 Ford Focus.

Is there something wrong with it?

Because he feels like it?

ROR: car is silver with black interior. 17" 15 spoke alloys. Black Mondeos with the 18" 5 spoke alloys do look the business alright.

• Advertisement

Nothing at all. Flew through the NCT last week and everything. Just fancies a change thats all. Any real interest in the car has just worn off by now

Because he feels like it?

ROR: car is silver with black interior. 17" 15 spoke alloys. Black Mondeos with the 18" 5 spoke alloys do look the business alright.

Counting the spokes were we:D

He'll need the darker interior anyway. Must book a flight home for the weekend for nose about it now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Nothing at all. Flew through the NCT last week and everything. Just fancies a change thats all. Any real interest in the car has just worn off by now

ah fair play to him........happy driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Whats the deal with that FFV thing? Make any difference to roadtax? 10k km would be ok for him - gets the other thing done every year with the small mileage.

Still cant help thinking an Octavia would be better

Why would you think that an octavia is better than a mondeo? An octavia is a lot smaller than a mondeo. It drives like a golf (average at best) and the experience that my company has had with regard to reliability wouldn't inspire confidence. You'll pay more for a mondeo but as the saying goes , "you get what you pay for". If it was my money there wouldn't be any contest.

groupb wrote: »
    Why would you think that an octavia is better than a mondeo? An octavia is a lot smaller than a mondeo. It drives like a golf (average at best) and the experience that my company has had with regard to reliability wouldn't inspire confidence. You'll pay more for a mondeo but as the saying goes , "you get what you pay for". If it was my money there wouldn't be any contest.

I was thinking in terms of warranty and running costs etc.

As a car I think the Mondeo is the better one by a mile but in this instance I thought an Octavia may suit his use a bit better.

OP, is the Mondeo petrol or diesel?

• Advertisement

Just an update.

He went to look at the 2 litre Titanium X spec Mondeo today and was very happy with it. Low mileage (~20k), FSH, Xenons, Leather and Alcantara heated seats, front and read parking sensors, climate, cruise, bluetooth, 6 cd changer - the works apparantly. (A certain poster here could add anything extra since he was sniffing about it today too:D)

Did the deal there and then and collecting it friday.

FWIW - €8500 with his own which I think is a pretty good deal.

It is a pretty good deal. Your dad did very well and I'm sure he'll be chuffed with himself and with his new car. Fair play to him! :D

OP, is the Mondeo petrol or diesel?

Petrol, non-flexifuel.

He does tiny mileage and he's in the mind because of the engine now that it's a keeper for a little longer than he would have originally kept any of the others for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Tell him well wear with it.

Opting for a non-flexifuel engine was a wise choice, as I've heard of them giving trouble in Volvo's.

Cheers.

I think it will be a good comfy one to pass the time away sitting in traffic. It will get a service within the FFV schedule once a year but good to know that if he does start doing a longer commute or anything that he's safe on that front. That engine is supposed to be pretty strong in it's normal guise too.

Advertisement