Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Boy/Girl games on the Wii

• 02-03-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Just after picking up Silent Hill: Shattered Memories on the Wii, and it gots me to thinking, it's a stellar game that seems to be aimed at the more mature end of the market. However, as it hadn't even been stocked in a large games retailer on release day, is it to be viewed as a blip on the radar as opposed to a sign of more of these types of games being released on the Wii? Or is my Wii desined to return to it's status of delicious door stop after finishing it (and NMH2)?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you ignore games just because they don't have mature content then it's your own fault that you miss out. Some kids games like Super Mario Galaxy are some of the best games ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

Maybe I've incorrectly phrased what I'm trying to say.

I've had savage craic with Zack and Wiki, Mario Galaxy and the likes, I was just hoping that the oft bemaoned dearth of games that are a bit more, maybe cerebral is a better adjective than mature, (there's not a lick of blood in SH for example),or dark, is being rectified by the eventual release of the Silent Hill reboot? Think Heavy Rain styles of games as opposed to Soldier of Fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

I found it annoying that when the Wii was released it had some promising titles like Zelda: Twilight Princess and Red Steel which lead me to believethe Wii would have similar titles. Zelda, admittedly, was a good game. Red Steel just ended up being a gimmicky FPS. However the titles devolved into a monotony of party games, fitness programs and children's games. Eventually I ended up buying an Xbox and my Wii now gathers dust.

I will check out Silent Hill: Shattered Memories but I hope that Microsoft's project Natal doesn't go the way the Wii went.

They made a version of The Grudge (the Japenese horror film) for the Wii.
    http://www.gamespot.com/wii/adventure/kyoufutaikanjuon/review.html

Not sure about future games but the following are proper adult games available on the wii...

No more heroes - 1 and 2
    Resident evil 4
    Madworld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I enjoy Madworld but it is more "adult" than adult.

"Adult" = generally has an 18s cert but could considered to actually be antithesis to the term adult

Adult (which is what the OP is looking for) is a game with a darker theme, a little more aimed at/appreciated by older audiences with little to no gratuitous* gore/sexual images.

* The important part of the description. Including gore and/or sex does not invalidate a game's adultness but use of these for mere shock value would.

• Advertisement

Irish Halo wrote: »

"Adult" = generally has an 18s cert but could considered to actually be antithesis to the term adult

Adult (which is what the OP is looking for) is a game with a darker theme, a little more aimed at/appreciated by older audiences with little to no gratuitous* gore/sexual images.

* The important part of the description. Including gore and/or sex does not invalidate a game's adultness but use of these for mere shock value would.

tbh I wasn't reading that much into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

Irish Halo wrote: »

Exacto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Not sure about future games but the following are proper adult games available on the wii...

No more heroes - 1 and 2
    Resident evil 4
    Madworld

And the fantastic House of the Dead:Overkill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

maybe cerebral is a better adjective than mature

Big brain academy?

I liked the conduit.
    Maybe you should try "Cursed Mountain". Horror games are looking to become the next big thing for Wii.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Red Steel 2 using the Wiimote+ is out in the next week or two. Don't know how good it is mind, but it's worth a look. Mario Galaxy 2 is out in June too apparently http://www.play.com/Games/Wii/4-/10296110/Super-Mario-Galaxy-2/Product.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement