Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Aldi beside Maxol in Portarlington?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Have heard that there's an Aldi going in between the Maxol and The Eastend in Port. Any truth to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Yeah heard about this, supposedly a lot of objections lodged with the council!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

the objections don't look that serious, some aul bint doesn't want it built because it's near her back garden, someone else doesn't want it built because he thinks there's an oversupply of retail space in the town, and finally an bord pleanalla have an issue with the open-endedness of part of the application, saying it's not specific enough in stating what other unit shops will be located in the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Minxie123 wrote: »
    Have heard that there's an Aldi going in between the Maxol and The Eastend in Port. Any truth to this?

This would be great. Find aldi far superior to lidl, so no more travelling to tullamore if this is the case. fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭lfp

That's great. No aldi in Portarlington or Portlaoise is a headache. Hopefully it'll happen quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

I think it might be better if it was over the other side of town to kind of balance things out a bit. There's very little on the Gracefield side where as this side already has Lidl and Supervalue in walking distance.

• Advertisement

I think it might be better if it was over the other side of town to kind of balance things out a bit. There's very little on the Gracefield side where as this side already has Lidl and Supervalue in walking distance.
    It has the majority of the towns population within a short radius of there! Why go up to Gracefield when you have a prime, cental location?!

kmart6 wrote: »
    It has the majority of the towns population within a short radius of there! Why go up to Gracefield when you have a prime, cental location?!

Yeah I suppose so. I was more thinking of it from a planning side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Yeah I suppose so. I was more thinking of it from a planning side.

Getting married in Offaly was hard enough without going shopping there every week:D;)

I'm looking forward to it opening but getting in and out should be fun seeing as it can take over a min to get out of Maxol sometimes.

Getting married in Offaly was hard enough without going shopping there every week:D;)

I'm looking forward to it opening but getting in and out should be fun seeing as it can take over a min to get out of Maxol sometimes.

Ah don't get me started. Trying to make a right hand turn in this town is a mare. Specifically trying to turn right at The Butchers Block and turning right at barrow bridge coming from supervalue. People will just not let you out!

Supposedly there'll be a new interchange going in or something! There supposed to be taking the car park of the Chinese/Hotel and they'll be provided with 50 places or so in return in the Aldi car park!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Well work got under way this week !!

Well work got under way this week !!

Did it? thats great. Have to take a wander past it in a bit so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

wonder how long it'll take.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

The one in Portlaoise flew up so it shouldnt take too long. Must be the abundance of builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

theres also one opening up in Kildare town next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

wonder how long it'll take.:)

There usually quick enough. Jeez dusty,:rolleyes: there was a job for ya:mad::(

Anyone have any idea when this is likely to open?

budhabob wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when this is likely to open?

I'd some how say when they finish building it;)

I'd some how say when they finish building it;)

I was thinking that myself, but I wasn't fully sure. :) so,to phrase it differently, any idea on when construction in finished and it'll open?

• Advertisement

Main body of the building is up so i'd say at least another month as they have to plumb, wire etc and then the car park etc all have to be done.

Main body of the building is up so i'd say at least another month as they have to plumb, wire etc and then the car park etc all have to be done.

Ah right,was hoping it'd be sooner. Haven't seen into the site in a while. Nice one for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

Jay-sus, how are they going to ahndle the traffic here at all? Not exactly in a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kala239190

HI. anyone works in Aldi? I sent a CV, I want to know the opinion of the work at this store <store assistant>

Advertisement