Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus / NTL: Am I being unreasonable?

Options
  • 02-03-2010 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Folks,

Your thoughts please...

I subscribe to Chorus / NTL (basic) Digital service - I just purchased a new TV and digital surround system but when I went to wire it up I noticed there is no 'Digital' AV output from their set top box (HDMI, optical etc) only analogue (SCART).

I have requested a box with digital output but NTL state I must pay extra! To my mind I am not receiving a 'Digital' service if I cannot cannot connect to the TV through a digital output.

Unreasonable??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

mylesk wrote: »
    Folks,

Your thoughts please...

I subscribe to Chorus / NTL (basic) Digital service - I just purchased a new TV and digital surround system but when I went to wire it up I noticed there is no 'Digital' AV output from their set top box (HDMI, optical etc) only analogue (SCART).

I have requested a box with digital output but NTL state I must pay extra! To my mind I am not receiving a 'Digital' service if I cannot cannot connect to the TV through a digital output.

Unreasonable??

IMO yes...

Why should chorus give you a free upgrade to a HD box just because you decided to buy an new TV?

Unless you are subscribing to HD channels its going to look more or less the same anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I worked for their customer service department. If I were you, I wouldn't even bother fighting it, it'll only break your heart. What they are probably trying to do is get you to upgrade to their HD service. As far as I'm aware, only the HD boxes have the digital/hdmi sockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mylesk

Thanks Folks...

My point is, should not all Digital set top boxes have a digital output?

I'm not looking for something for nothing - I'm only looking for the service I pay for -

@mrspostman - you are probably right.. but then again I may be talking to you tomorrow in your professional capacity! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Digital is not equal to high def. Digitial is purely the way they transmit the signal and nothing to do with using your HDMI output.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Digital is not equal to high def. Digitial is purely the way they transmit the signal and nothing to do with using your HDMI output.

Again I agree... but does it make scense to transmit a signal in Digital format (from source; throught a cable network), only to link to the subscribers system via an analogue connection?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Again I agree... but does it make scense to transmit a signal in Digital format (from source; throught a cable network), only to link to the subscribers system via an analogue connection?

At the time Digital TV came to ireland VGA, Componant or HDMI connections were not really an options on TV's, I don't think you're quite being unreasonable but also they have no obligation to give you a new box, you're best of paying imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Personally i think that's an irrelevance..

If you want digital end to end service, then YOU have chosen the wrong package, you should have ordered the HD digital TV service.
    If you want digital TV (like most other folks), then the non HD service is fine.

Just because the basic service does not offer all the features you wish to have does not necessarily mean that Chorus/NTL are wrong.

Thanks for your responses folks...

I hear you loud and clear!

Advertisement