Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please

Options
  • 02-03-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Im 41 and have never been to college, I have been working for over 20 years but allways in jobs that are low paid and long unsocial hours. Ive been self employed for 12 years but both industries ive been in are dead, I cant afford to be self employed anymore, its just gettin me deeper into dept.
    I have been considering doing a course that will give me a good chance of getting a real job. Im interested in computers but dont have much experience doing anything more than basic forum setup and cms websites.
    My brother suggested an Autocad course, Im interested in the digital forensics courses but dont know if I need to do something first, ECDL ect ?
    Can anyone suggest a course that would lead to a job in the future ? I would probably do part time but would consider full time courses.

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its really a bit difficult to advise you as it depends on what your strengths are. Not sure why you would do ECDL, if you can set up websites you probably have a reasonable degree of computer literacy.
    Have you enquired about financial support if you go to college?
    Would you have the qualifications or background to get into an IT or university. If not, you could look at Further Education, applications for first round places are happening around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Dont waste your time with the ECDL it sooo basic. I looked into doing a CAD course before theres loads round, depending on where you are. You can do them through FAS but seems a bit drawn out (no pun intended!) there a fourm about auto CAD here..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1142

and a thread about the courses here..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055791044

Dont think anyone can tell you specifically what to do... pick something you enjoy and go with it... at least the CAD courses arent too long, so wont hurt if you dont use thenm after...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

2qk4u wrote: »
    My brother suggested an Autocad course, Im interested in the digital forensics courses but dont know if I need to do something first, ECDL ect ?

I would agree with others - ECDL is basic computers and certainly wouldn't guarantee you a job. However, it depends on what level you are at, and what level you want to go to.
    Can anyone suggest a course that would lead to a job in the future ? I would probably do part time but would consider full time courses.

No qualification will get you a job, I'm afraid. However, having a qualification will increase your chances.
    Doop wrote: »
    Dont think anyone can tell you specifically what to do... pick something you enjoy and go with it... at least the CAD courses arent too long, so wont hurt if you dont use thenm after...

Exactly - it all depends on your strengths and what you want to do. Also, consider how much time you are willing to dedicate. A short, 10-12 week course will achieve something in the short term, but in the longer term, how much worth would it be to a potential employer?

In general terms, the longer the course you do (i.e. Diploma/Degree) the greater the chances of you getting a job. So you need to decide how long you are willing to commit and what subject area interests you.

Once you do that, we can give you more specific info. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Thanks for the replies, Im just not sure which direction to go in.
    Is Autocad relatively easy for someone with little experience ?
    Is computer repair and maintenance any good ?
    Are part time courses any use or is full time a better option ?
    Any other suggestions ?

Thanks for the replies, Im just not sure which direction to go in.

Ah, that's a problem then.

Is computer repair and maintenance any good ?

The only thing is that every teenager in the country can do it. However, there is no reason why somebody with experience being self-employed coudln't do it, you could use your experience from previous jobs and apply it to computer a repair business. Have a look at the A+ certification. It is enough to get you started in this field (I'm currently studying that myself).
    Are part time courses any use or is full time a better option ?
    Any other suggestions ?

There should be no difference between part-time and full-time courses. Both cover the same material, just over different timeframes.

Have you considered going back to do a degree program? Have a look at the stickies at the top of the forum for details on what options are available to you. But remember, a bachelors degree can take up to four years full-time to complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Thanks, where would you recommend for the A+ course ?

Thanks, where would you recommend for the A+ course ?

Well, in two weeks time, I will be teaching it. :)

However, I am not in the same country as you, so that is not a whole lot of use to you. Have a look over on the IT Certification forum. Loads of threads there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

UCD do a computer forensics course(One of the top in Europe in fact), theres two but ones a degree so presumably you can go in there with no knowledge whatsoever. If you want to do computer forensics or cybercrime etc UCD is definitely the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have the impression that a LOT of people are doing computer forensics, how many cf experts does a country need? Unless you are sure you would be brilliant at it I would suggest something a bit more general to get you started, the maintenance is a good idea given that you are mature enough to actually run a business, which most of the younger students would not be.

Advertisement