Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Night Photography

• 03-03-2010 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the whole photography thing and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on taking photos at night? Equipment needed, general settings or guidelines on settings etc

I'm living in Edinburgh at the moment, across from the castle and id love to get some quality photographs of it lit up at night.

So if anyones got advice for me id really appreciate it!!!!

Thanks a million in advance!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Slow shutter speeds, along with a tripod or other steady surface you can leave your camera on for a while.

I quite like photographs of buildings at night, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

self timer should be on, or get a cable release or wireless remote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Patience, gloves and a hot thermos of coffee (and perhaps a little nip of scotch).... :o

But uh, seriously now, just follow the advice above and experiment with shutter speeds, after a while you will get a feel for it and be able to find what you prefer yourself. Some images might got blown out when the shutter stays open too long so it's all about finding the correct amount of exposure and how long the shutter stays open.

Tripod is a must to avoid blurryness and like alexlyons says, a cable release is a good investment for night photography.

Best of luck anyway and feel free to show what you come up with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

what camera have you got? lens?

lots of different ways you can do it.

tripod/ steady surface and cable release or timer a must

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

cazmcco wrote: »
    I'm living in Edinburgh at the moment, across from the castle and id love to get some quality photographs of it lit up at night.

If you are shooting from your house turn off all the lights.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

Take a tripod (and very warm clothes) up Arthur's seat - you should be able to get some spectacular shots of the castle / city from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cazmcco

Hey everyone!

Sorry im only getting back to this now, had one of those weeks :rolleyes:!

I just wanted to say thanks a million for all your advice. Hopefully ill get a chance to get out and take some photos over the weekend, and if I get any quality ones ill post it up here!

@ Slidinginfinity: Unfortunately I dont have the pleasure of being able to take the photos from the flat, but I do only have to go to the top of the street ;).

@ Merrion: Ill be heading up arthurs seat very soon, so ill also get some photos from there. I haven't been up there yet, so I don't know what it would be like, particularly at night for clear photos of the castle.

@ Martron: I have an olympus E420, with two lenses: 14-45mm and 40-150mm. and a tripod!

Anyways thanks a million again guys, Really appreciate the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Some excellent tips there. Must try them! Iphone useless at night I notice, so back to my trusty Minolta 9000i.

Advertisement