Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Museum of Mechanical Maladies

• 03-03-2010 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

Thought this might be a good idea for a thread that would fit in just nicely around here.

I come accross this stuff all the time and I find it quite interesting, surely the rest of you might have a few similar items too.

DSCF2605.jpg

Remember to put the right spark plugs into your VW polo unless you want to embarrass yourself

DSCF2582.jpg

Remember to put anti-freeze into your perkins phazer unless you want a block with one of these in it

DSCF2583.jpg

Don't leave it 1500hrs and 5 years to change your engine oil in a diesel, it won't go well for you

DSCF2586.jpg

Did you ever see used engine oil in a pile?

DSCF2354.jpg

Good old reliable Freelanders!

DSCF2379.jpg

Well there's your problem, back axle's broken!

DSCF2381.jpg

Don't over rev your Toyota Galanza engine, especially if the big ends aren't great

DSCF2420.jpg

At an auction during christmas, wait till you see the next pic, no wonder it didn't sell

DSCF2421.jpg

Structural Rust!

DSCF1480.jpg

Remember to change the water pump in your vectra when its due, unless you want valves looking like this

DSCF1626.jpg

A John Deere 530 conditioner mower universal joint, is it any wonder they had a recall on these.

DSCF1479.jpg

A JCB 3cx piston that decided to eat its own rings, ran for 3 months like that!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

This is going to be a long thread... :D

I had an area of the garage I used to call the "black museum" with such like components, sadly dumped during a cleanout.

Worst I ever saw was a V12 MWM gen set that had thrown a rod after 1000 hrs. It was in a foreign country renowned for oil. Problem was that they were using home grown oil instead of the proper stuff. A replacement gen set was costing ~ 1 million USD. The guy in charge couldn't understand why I wanted to import the proper oil with the new unit instead of using the "home grown" variety... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

DSCF2583.jpg

Don't leave it 1500hrs and 5 years to change your engine oil in a diesel, I won't go well for you
    What about gearbox oil? Does that last a bit longer?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

Hermy wrote: »
    What about gearbox oil? Does that last a bit longer?

Well diesel engine oil gets thicker as it gets used more, think it is something to do with building up of carbon deposits but not too sure. It will eventually turn to sludge which the oil pump can't pump, and thus the engine will cease, most likely to happen in cold weather when the oil is extra thick because of temprature.

Gearbox oil should last way longer even if over due for a change, and as long as it is filtered properly it should not cause any detrimentally negative effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I had a Daihatsu charade do the same thing.

Had to fill it with diesel to get the oil out, it would barely turn over the oil was so thick. He had also bypassed the fuel filter using a bic pen. I **** you not.

f_grpn3i7lm_426b0d0.jpg

This is what happend when you try to roll start a NPR with not enough room

and this is what happens when your boss tells you (despite your strongest objections to bringing 10t+ into a wet garden) to take it out with a teleporter!

f_grpn3i7mm_066acc8.jpg

A mercedes Sprinter did this as it was being brake tested during the DoE

f_grpn3ieqm_e187709.jpg

An old Merc camper van that came in for an insurance assessment with some minor electrical glitches in the rear lights

f_grpn3jepm_059430d.jpg

A DAF 45 with a full service history ;)

f_grpn3jh0m_d555e78.jpg

A Merc 1823 cattle wagon that came in for test like this. Both discs on the one side. The rear one, the pads had fell out and the pistons were wearing through the vents in the disc :eek:

f_grpn3kbtm_beea657.jpg

f_grpn3kbum_31076ef.jpg

Slidey wrote: »

An old Merc camper van that came in for an insurance assessment with some minor electrical glitches in the rear lights

f_grpn3jepm_059430d.jpg

Ha now thats one you won't see every day, :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Thank god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Liking the thread so far. More pics please.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

You'd be surprised how often you see that type of thing, I have a drawer in my tool box full of all sizes and varieties of Vice Grip's that come in on vehicles in for test(as well as all types of other tools that are left on chassis rails, under cabs, under bonnets etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Mods

Can this be stickied? besides the sheer horrifying fascination factor it has to be the ultimate educational tool for apprentice motor mechanics as "How not to do it, at all, under any circumstances"

There is a good few stickies up there at the moment, if it starts to drop down I will stick it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Brilliant pics there, im sure i have a few and il try dig em out !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭biblio

Colchester Bantam in the Vectra valves pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭dunleakelleher

Slidey wrote: »

f_grpn3jepm_059430d.jpg
    at least he used a insulated vice grips.

f_grpn3kkxm_d412efb.jpg

This is what happens when you let a young tool into a Hino with a crash box. Not sure how he managed to do this but it is the only one of those engines I have ever seen to fail.

Penny at the side for scale

biblio wrote: »
    Colchester Bantam in the Vectra valves pic?

yep, its a school lathe, but very handy tool.... was cheap too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

yep, its a school lathe, but very handy tool.... was cheap too :D
    ;)

;)

will you go away and don't be winking at me, I'm sure you have one too :P ........ ;)

Working on a diesel powered road compressor. Had diesel problems so drained the tank, diesel was terrible looking so decided to steam wash the inside of it, look what came out......

DSCF2926.jpg

no wonder the diesel filters kept clogging on him!

Diesel from 5 gallon drums keeps mechanics in business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

DSCF2420.jpg

At an auction during christmas, wait till you see the next pic, no wonder it didn't sell

DSCF2421.jpg

Structural Rust!

And you can guess why its sitting on a trailer aswell :D:D

But who in the right mind would let the crossmembers get that bad :O......

• Advertisement

7fa32ab00fade25f7726f340d981d819.jpg

You can see where it tore the gear clean off the cam, broke the chain.

There is a bit of the gear sitting on the head

Is that a Scudo?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Mercedes Sprinter, 2 years old

I did something similar to a Scudo.
    But I've been very thorough about oil changes ever since!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

After the sharp frost we had, I was asked to look at two tractors and an isuzu trooper, the engine blocks of which had apparently become cracked internally due to the frost and lack of antifreeze. Each case the owners had topped up the radiator only to find that they swallowed a endless amount of water and still didn't seem anywhere near full.
    Then they realised that the "coolant" was flowing straight into the sump and therefore dismissed the engines as cracked internally and probably beyond repair.

Not so. On each occasion, it was found that the frost plugs under the rocker cover had lifted, allowing the water to fill up and overflow into the sump. A simple cure to what appeared to be a terminal problem.

Dont crash into a Nissan Micra with your John Deere unless you want your front axel and drive shaft to look like this :eek:

DSCF3399.jpg

Not my doing obviously, I just snapped a pic of it, was out the back of Lyons and Burton the other day.

Don't be surprised if your Renault Megan fails its NCT with brake discs like this :eek: (old one on the right and new one on the left, in case there's any confusion :rolleyes:)

DSCF0601.jpg

Been a while since I saw some this bad!

...and yes that is a bar stool, yes it is comfortable, but no, you can't have it!

Thats pretty bad alright.

Iveco's had a habit or wearing the entire disc away until it got through to the vents in the middle

Advertisement