Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted- cheap double chainset for old racer

• 03-03-2010 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

the pedal threads got damaged on my bike after 1 day of owning it, I need a replacement chainset but cant spend much as Im gonna be converting it to fixed gear very soon so I just need something to get by till then.

bikeless for over a month then I get one and it breaks on me after a day, Im dyin to get back on the road again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

the bike is a 10 speed Peugeot from 1980's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yo, I have a few cranksets at home, at least two are doubles I think. I'll have a check and post up this evening.

any luck finding anything? It only needs to hold together till the end of the month so if its not in great condition I dont mind.

hopefully someone has something they cant get rid of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Rothar in phibsborough might have something cheap and cheerful.

Ok found two. One is a Campag Veloce 10speed which is brand new and in good nick. Yours for 30 quid if you want it.

Or some other non-descript one which has been used but is in good nick.
    Yours for 10 quid. Picture is of non-descript one. Am based in the city center

4405190042_5f5f2cab20.jpg

edit - Both are square taper

• Advertisement

Gavin wrote: »
    Ok found two. One is a Campag Veloce 10speed which is brand new and in good nick. Yours for 30 quid if you want it.

Or some other non-descript one which has been used but is in good nick.
    Yours for 10 quid. Picture is of non-descript one. Am based in the city center

4405190042_5f5f2cab20.jpg

edit - Both are square taper

cool thanks Ill take the cheapest one, I presume it will fit. I just checked this
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html and its made me a little worried, still learning bike terminology, cranks should be universal? it says french bottom brackets have a different threading but peugeot changed to Uk threading in the 80's, my bike is from mid 80's I think, Its got rainbow decals

Are you free tomorrow? I'm in Harolds Cross/Terenure. I left the bike in Thinkbike Rathmines, they'll fit it for 15e, sounds like an ok price

Hey,
    Sorry, in work today! The older bottom brackets are pretty much all square taper. That means the axle bit sticking out of the bottom bracket is square, rather than round with splines. I'm on the canal, so can meet you somewhere in between me and Harold's cross. Send me a PM.

Advertisement