Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYC skyline tattoo

Options
  • 03-03-2010 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hey, I am heading to New York for 4 months in June and am hoping to get a tattoo (or tattoos) done while I am there. I really want to do something with a tattoo I got last summer also and have come up with an idea which if done well should look very nice. I got 3 star outlines on my inside arm last year (I know, very original eh?) and as they are just outlines and big enough in size I would like to get them sketched in with a NYC skyline.

I have seen a few skyline tattoos which I think look very nice so my idea is to fill in the stars with separate skylines and possible blended sunset. Its sort of hard to describe so here are a few pics that may give you an idea of what I mean.

http://dragonartz.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/_vector-skyline-us-newyork-preview-by-dragonart.jpg
    http://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/item/124/491/531/gFXXN0DwNM1DKdd.jpg

http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_430xN.33630318.jpg

Sorry, I'm finding it hard to find suitable pics online but city skyline tattoos are common enough in the states and I have seen some nice ones on people while I was there. I would like to make it shaded black ink if possible but am also open to some colouring. The 3 stars are different in size and two would be big enough for some detail, although as they are not too big, I am not sure just how much detail will be possible. I guess it is all up to the artist and how/she feels when they see my arm. Anyway just though I would post this and wondering of anybody can recommend any artists in NYC that would be good for an idea like this? I think it is important that I find someone very good for this as it seems like a pretty detailed job and I don't want to rush in to the first artist I find.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Deadmoney when I saw the title of your thread I was like 'errr....' but now that I've seen what you're talking about I think it would be fantastic!!

The black and white shading would be very effective although that said if it was all black and white and you had some subtle colour runnning through the sky (the same across the 3 to tie them together) that could be very striking as well.

Either way if/when you decide to get it done.... PICS PLEASE! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

jenga-jen wrote: »
    Deadmoney when I saw the title of your thread I was like 'errr....' but now that I've seen what you're talking about I think it would be fantastic!!

The black and white shading would be very effective although that said if it was all black and white and you had some subtle colour runnning through the sky (the same across the 3 to tie them together) that could be very striking as well.

Either way if/when you decide to get it done.... PICS PLEASE! :p

Thanks :) hopefully it will turn out nice. I really like comic style city art and have a bit of an obsession with NY so I think this is a good idea. It will be also nice to make my very unoriginal tattoo a bit more original and give it a personal touch. Some mild colouring could be nice in the sky such as a dark purple just to give it a looming effect of city lights. I'm just wondering though when I get to New York and am looking for an artist, should I just go in and bring some prints and ask them to draw out their ideas to see if it looks good, or should I try and email some artists first with my idea and pre book an appointment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I must say I thought the same as jen but after reading your post, this sounds like an awesome idea. Definitely put up pics when it is done.
    No harm rending an email or two at all. You dont have to get the tattoo done just because they reply to you. Ya may aswell have a look around sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Deadmoney that whole broody purple or even a midnight blue sky would be amazing and the comic style art would look fantastic in contrast!

Do your research and look into artists and if you see someone who has a great portfolio in that style then definitely send an e-mail! You wouldn't risk a walk-in here if you really wanted a specific person so maybe don't risk it when you're going all that way!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

yeah the purple would be class or even a dull green.

• Advertisement
Advertisement