Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Charges

Options
  • 03-03-2010 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

My €40 DD for my car insurance was due to be taken yesterday. I didnt have the funds in the account,they will be there tomorrow as i get my dole. The bank have charged me €12.70 for an 'unpaid fee' even though they have not paid the money to the insurance company
    How can they defend this charge. They are getting €12.70 for <snip>

<snip>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

Which bank? That a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

There is no way to defend against it. The money was not there so they charged a fee. Consider it a expensive lesson.

Your also going to have arrange to have the money taken out this month by the insurance company yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Its the standard charge for unpaid items.

Sounds like UB. You could call your branch and explain you are on the dole. If its the 1st time you could ask for them to refund it saying its an unfair charge with you not working etc.

If its UB, ask to speak to the Service Qualitiy Advisor and explain it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭May Feign

its BOI. and when they took the €12.70, i went 29 cent overdrawn, i guarantee tonight a fiver charge will go through for going over my overdraft
    if this is the case, there will be war

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Not directly related to the bank charges, but could you ask your car insurer to change the date of the direct debit to a few days later? It may not be possible, but no harm in asking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

May Feign wrote: »
    its BOI. and when they took the €12.70, i went 29 cent overdrawn, i guarantee tonight a fiver charge will go through for going over my overdraft
    if this is the case, there will be war

So you're telling me that "there will be war" if the bank charges a legitimate fee because you have an inability to manage your finances? Seriously?
    By opening your account you agree to the terms and conditions on same account.

If you're not able to pay your bills, don't have them on Direct Debit. It's as simple as that.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

May Feign, please read the charter in relation to using profanity in your posts. Boards.ie has an inbuilt swear filter, please do not try to bypass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I agree that the charge is completely legitimate and that you need to manage the finances so this doesnt happen. I realise this can be difficult on the dole but you will get charged otherwise.

The charge is a bit on the high side but in fairness they are quite clear about them in the terms and conditions which are agreed to as part of using the account.

Its highly unlikely the charge will be refunded and I would imagine you will be charged for going into the red.

unfortunately the bank are doing nothing wrong and you have agreed to this charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

the bank have to be transparent in their charges. This is a legitimate charge, which was incurred as you did not have sufficient funds in your account to meet your direct debit. If they refunded this charge to you, and not to another customer, then transparency has gone out the window.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Unless the charge was applied through an error on the part of the bank, then I very much doubt you'll be getting a refund. If you contact the branch and politely and calmly explain what happened, and ask is there any way they will refund the charge, they might refund you as a one off gesture of goodwill (if it's the first time this has happened to you). If you go in with all guns blazing, you'll get diddly squat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement