Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey on Multicultural Tolerance in Ireland I

• 03-03-2010 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello :)

I'm a final year design student in a college in Dublin and I'm collecting content for my final project. The link below leads to an online survey that I've generated for this. The focus of my project is to highlight how multicultural Ireland is becoming and possibly explore the effects of this. All data collated is anonymous and will be used for the purposes of this project only. It only takes a minute to do.

If you were born in Ireland and reside here please go to the following link to complete this survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CKFD3JP

----

If you were not born in Ireland but are residing here please click on the following link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/C7LMGFQ

----

Thanks a million for your time and consideration!

:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

1. Default Section
    2. Are you Irish?

Not the best structure, this could have been a multiple choice-type question. Anyone answering the survey would be Irish, providing a simple "Yes, Irish as far back as I know" would have been useful.

3rd generation [one or both grandparents are Irish]Surely most people have 4 grandparents?

4. How many multicultural / multiracial people (not of Irish descent) do you know or interact with?

Can one individual be multiracial? Surely they would be mixed race?

5. What ethnicity do you think the person in the photo is?
    What ethnicity do you think the person in the photo is?
    White
    Black

"Black" and "White" is very American orientated. I suspect the person is actually of Mediterranean origin.

8. Do you think any of the following words are derogatory?
    Paddy / Knacker / Pikey / Itinerant
    Do you think any of the following words are derogatory? Paddy / Knacker / Pikey / Itinerant Yes, they all are.
    No, only 2 or 3 of them are bad.
    There is nothing wrong with any of them.
    Other (please specify)

There is no tick box for "Other".

9. Do you think that the Irish Government is doing enough to make people aware of how much a multicultural country Ireland has become?
    Would an Anti-Xenophobia Campaign in Ireland make a difference in changing people's attitudes towards Racism?

Not great to include two diametrically opposite questions in the bullet point, e.g. I don't think they are doing enough and I think some measures should be carried out to educate people better. Should I answer yes or no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

I would agree. Not to be too critical but I didn't complete the survey because the options were a bit vague.

For example how many multiracial people do I know or interact with - I don't know I guess that could be 2 or 20 depending on how you define interaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

The woman in the picture for question 5 is from India. So none of the available answers are relevant. Think she was the same person who was on TV3 recently with her husband, also from India, talking about their arranged marriage and huge wedding that went on for days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

mtsal79 wrote: »
    Hello :)

I'm a final year design student in a college in Dublin and I'm collecting content for my final project. The link below leads to an online survey that I've generated for this. The focus of my project is to highlight how multicultural Ireland is becoming and possibly explore the effects of this. All data collated is anonymous and will be used for the purposes of this project only. It only takes a minute to do.

If you were born in Ireland and reside here please go to the following link to complete this survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CKFD3JP

----

If you were not born in Ireland but are residing here please click on the following link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/C7LMGFQ

----

Thanks a million for your time and consideration!

:o
    I am afraid i would question the value of a survey conducted amongst annonymous contributors on an internet forum. Is there not meant to be some kind of personal interaction between surveyor and repondent ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

You also need to look at the question design, single choice questions but I can tick all answers! I'd suggest you revise this version of the questionniare and come back you have improved it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Tenderloins1

6;What are your feelings towards multicultural people residing in Ireland?

Is this people who are of mixed race or is it non-Irish people?

Also I'd suspect certain nationalities are more accepted than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I love how tolerance has gone from this:
    the act or capacity of enduring; endurance: My tolerance of noise is limited.

to this:
    a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.

according to Dictionary.com at least...

I'm happy to fill out your survey, but words like "ethnic" and "tolerance" implies that people from other cultures, faiths and lifestyles are something one puts up with, rather than accepts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

A few more suggestions for the survey:

1. Ask about gender. In other surveys, men and women tend to have different views on immigration. You also might want to ask about self-identification: how did people think of themselves ethnically before they came to Ireland? For example, someone from Zimbabwe may have thought of themselves as Shona and then showed up here and were just "African" (or people just assumed they were Nigerians).

2. You might want to look at the questionnaire for other similar surveys to see how they phrase similar questions, and what kinds of basic demographic data they ask for ans how. Try the European Social Survey; it is available online, and they ask a fair number of questions about attitudes towards immigrants. Plus if you structure a few of you questions in a way that is similar to or comparable with the ESS, then you will have a better sense of how biased your sample is.

3. I'm sympathetic to how hard it is to pull a large number of people to take a survey on a limited budget, but you are going to have an extremely weird sample on boards (first off, it will be disproportionately male vis-a-vis the general population). This doesn't have to be fatal; I would guess that boards users also consume more electronic media than the average person in Ireland, so if you frame you original question as "what do people who participate in online political forums think of xyz", then your findings will be more valid (but won't have the kind of broad implications that a randomized survey has). Actually if you restrict your scope a bit, it might be interesting, but I don't know what question you are ultimately trying to answer.

4. Finally, as a non-Irish person who looked at the poll, I think you need to be more specific about what you are asking. Asking people to "briefly summarize" their experiences in Ireland is not going to get you the kinds of answers I think you are looking for - they will be too short, or too all over the place. This is the kind of question you would ask in a face-to-face interview. It would be more useful for you and the end user to have more questions, but questions that are tightly constrained - have people tick off boxes, and then maybe you can ask them to describe what they have ticked off.

Oh, wait, one more thing: if ultimately you want to know about what kinds of media people think would be useful in spreading information about multiculturalism, you should ask a question about their media consumption habits (newspaper/tv, etc). This will also let you compare your sample population to the general population. Asking about occupation may also be useful; socioeconomic status is also a key predictor for opinions about immigration.

Sorry to seem so nit-picky and technical; I've been doing a lot of work lately on social science research methods, and doing any kind of survey involving issues of ethnicity or immigration is extremely tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moved to the relevant forum (Surveys & Non-media research) from Politics. It's highlighted as the place to put surveys in the signup mail.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement