Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM charges in Oz on irish account

Options
  • 03-03-2010 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi
    Moving to Oz in May and for a couple of reasons won't be closing my irish bank account until next summer 2011. I will have funds coming into my irish account over the next year and a bit and was wondering what would be the best way to access them. Should I just use my ATM card and what are the charges if I do? Will I be hit with exchange charges aswell.
    What is the max withdrawal allowed on a daily basis.
    Are there any other ways?
    Also we will have a large lump sum in another account that we want to transfer over but should we wait as the FX rate is terrible at the moment.
    Thanks Guys
    See ya all in Sydney!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

From the withdrawals I have made $300 has been the maximum amount. I have only been charged 2 or 3 euro for the transaction. Some machines and banks charge extra but the main bank ones should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Also be careful re withdrawing...here in oz you have to wait at least 24 hrs before you can withdraw again (after withdrawing max daily amount). At home you could do it at either side of midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

When I was home in Oz at xmas 2008, I know I was able to withdraw at least $800 in one go. $300 seems to be very low:confused:

For Australian accounts, the amount you can normally withdraw in a day is between $800 - $1000 depending on the bank.

However the Irish bank limits for withdrawals are now 400euro a day here, so that may effect the amount you are able to withdraw in Oz which would be about $600.

I'll be home in a couple of weeks and using my irish atm card (NIB) so can report back what the charges are if no one posts in the mean time.

Also I'd never noticed in Oz that you had to wait 24hours if you reached your withdrawal limit.

Finally, yes the exchange rate sucks big time at the moment:eek: Can't tell you what to do, you'll just have to decide wether you do it now on the risk that the rate could fall further if things go down the sink with Greece etc, or that they could rise if the Oz property bubble and China finally bust.

Advertisement