Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a new car for first time, which one should I go for?

• 03-03-2010 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi, I am currently driving a 04 Nissan Primera and have about an 18k budget to get a new car.
    I've had a look around and am caught between a Renault Megane and the new Opel Astra.
    Which would be the better car? I've read here on boards that Renault are a good car but what about the Opel?
    Any advice would be great as the Primera is giving me heaps of problems lately and need to change cars soon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Dubdude

If it was me I would either choose the Audi A3 your budget may not bring you up to get a new A3 but you certainly could get an 09 or you could go for a new VW Golf.

Personally I wouldnt go near the renault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

And If I could advise, Don't buy brand new...novelty wears off very quick....Better deal at buying a 1/2 year old car instead. But if you insist on new, I'd avoid the reno.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

The new Renault are bombproof according to many folks on boards , apparently they have ironed out all of the reliability & electrical issues of previous model ranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Such a hard decision, like BronsonTB says the novelty will wear off but I hate having hassle with an old car.
    I am looking at Diesel cars because of commutes to work and new car equals longer warranty and I want to trade up every 2 years.
    Very few Diesel cars for sale with low miles on the clock.

Had a look at VW but money a bit high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Lots of people saying good things about the new Skoda Superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

skoda is what you want. one of my mates has mentioned a few times that one of the skodas (think its the superb) comes with heaps of extras compared to a golf with almost nothing in roughly the same price range. 18k was definitely mentioned when i was talking to him.

RoverJames wrote: »
    The new Renault are bombproof according to many folks on boards , apparently they have ironed out all of the reliability & electrical issues of previous model ranges.

Partner has a 00 Renault Clio and its a great little car, no problems at all.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Lots of people saying good things about the new Skoda Superb.

Is Skoda a proven reliable car? I always think the old reliables are a safer bet. I've always bought big name cars....old habits die hard

Just had a quick look at Skoda, they dont do a low emission car and might as well do my bit for the environment (and pocket) if I buy new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

mollzer wrote: »
    Hi, I am currently driving a 04 Nissan Primera and have about an 18k budget to get a new car.
    I've had a look around and am caught between a Renault Megane and the new Opel Astra.
    Which would be the better car? I've read here on boards that Renault are a good car but what about the Opel?
    Any advice would be great as the Primera is giving me heaps of problems lately and need to change cars soon.

Hey OP

You've asked specific advice on buying one of two new cars, so all the above advice about second hand cars is pointless and irrelevant to your question. I cant understand why people do this, your question was very clear and simple. Amazing?

Anyway, the best advice I can give you is, test drive both cars, see which you like? Next
    see what deal you will be offered making the sales person know for sure that you are a serious buyer, tell him he's only getting one bite of the cherry as your looking at a number of marques.
    Then buy which ever one YOU like!

From what I've been reading and my own looking around, my opinion at the moment is the Renault is newer, has a 5 year warranty on offer and seems to be getting great reviews everywhere.

Haven't heard much about the Astra, personally dont like them.

But OP its your decision!

Best of luck anyway and enjoy!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

RoverJames wrote: »

How would they know that if the cars are new? :confused:

• Advertisement

How would they know that if the cars are new? :confused:

That is very true, I can only imagine they are comparing the range to previous ranges which in many cases gave trouble when very new. When the Alfa 156 was introduced folks were saying the same, all the old probs sorted, 156 as reliable as the competition, I worked in a factors back then and a senior mechanic in a large Fiat / Alfa dealer told us the workshop was always full of them in for warranty work. I would be waiting 3 to 5 years before deciding if the new models are as good as folk on here claim.

Apparently Renault accepting the guts of €500 quid off you to extend the warranty from 3 to 5 years is a sign that the new Megane is likely to be very reliable too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Indeed, I would take a wait and see approach, besides even if Renault's are reliable these days, they are every bit as bland and uninspiring as a Toyota(I know Renault are meant to do fantastic hot hatches but you'll note that these are not for sale in Ireland:rolleyes:), and if I wanted a dull box on wheels I'd be having a Toyota because of the after sales and the superior resale value. I'd also bet money that the newer "reliable" Renaults will be no match for a Toyota reliability wise either, and as I have said before modern Toyotas are not even as good as they used to be, certainly they are no more reliable than the likes of Ford and probably less reliable than a Honda or a Mazda(once you avoid the in house Mazda diesel).

The old Megane would have been a great car had Renault bothered to make it properly, I think it looks great and I am really disappointed that they did not follow this up with the new one which might as well have come from Toyota it is so bland and uninspiring.

I would have the new Astra every time, the 1.4 turbo petrol has an impressive 140 PS and yet is still in VRT band B, it looks far better inside and out, I would be quite confident that the reliability would be superior and that the trade in values will no doubt be considerably better than the Reno 5 year warranty or no 5 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

i picked up a new megane last night from guys in navan.

lovely car and very nice to drive but way to soon for me to make a judgement on reliability etc. although i hope will cause no problems. it comes with a 3 year warrently not 5 and 3 years AA membership for the car.

i was also looking at the astra but the best i could get was over 19K for the 1.7 diesel which was outside my budget. didn't actually drive cause of price. that 19K was also the basic model (no alloys, cruise etc.)

i paid 16K for the dynamique (mid range, cruise control, much nicer interior, alloys and few other things) didn't like the royale at all, very plastically inside and the non alloys looked crap on it.

as one of the other guys said take the two out for a test and see which you prefer if you have the money. renault are offering a fantastic financing deal of just 5.9% which is the best i've seen around. something else to think about if you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

ciaran75 wrote: »
    i picked up a new megane last night from guys in navan.

lovely car and very nice to drive but way to soon for me to make a judgement on reliability etc. although i hope will cause no problems. it comes with a 3 year warrently not 5 and 3 years AA membership for the car.

i was also looking at the astra but the best i could get was over 19K for the 1.7 diesel which was outside my budget. didn't actually drive cause of price. that 19K was also the basic model (no alloys, cruise etc.)

i paid 16K for the dynamique (mid range, cruise control, much nicer interior, alloys and few other things) didn't like the royale at all, very plastically inside and the non alloys looked crap on it.

as one of the other guys said take the two out for a test and see which you prefer if you have the money. renault are offering a fantastic financing deal of just 5.9% which is the best i've seen around. something else to think about if you need it.

Best of luck with the new car Ciaran :) Heres a little tip for ya, suprised you weren't offered it?

Yes it comes with 3 years warranty but theres an optional 5 year warranty for €480 roughly, so I'd be taking that option if I were buying.

So I'd give them a call and see can you get that? Great deal and peace of mind!

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Hey OP

You've asked specific advice on buying one of two new cars, so all the above advice about second hand cars is pointless and irrelevant to your question. I cant understand why people do this, your question was very clear and simple. Amazing?

Anyway, the best advice I can give you is, test drive both cars, see which you like? Next
    see what deal you will be offered making the sales person know for sure that you are a serious buyer, tell him he's only getting one bite of the cherry as your looking at a number of marques.
    Then buy which ever one YOU like!

From what I've been reading and my own looking around, my opinion at the moment is the Renault is newer, has a 5 year warranty on offer and seems to be getting great reviews everywhere.

Haven't heard much about the Astra, personally dont like them.

But OP its your decision!

Best of luck anyway and enjoy!
    Thanks for that gpjordanf1

Astra se 1.7 d is working out 2k dearer than Megane 1.5 d Dynamique BUT its a better looking interior, but the other is cheaper.............airside Opel didnt have a diesel Astra for me to test drive, the Megane test drive was grand.

Maybe I should go look at some more dealers in the next day or 2.

gpjordanf1 wrote: »

Yes it comes with 3 years warranty but theres an optional 5 year warranty for €480 roughly, so I'd be taking that option if I were buying.

So I'd give them a call and see can you get that? Great deal and peace of mind!

Indeed, you can buy the warranty within the first year of ownership, do consider though that if you trade in the car to a dealer the warranty is not transferrable, it is onlt transferrable on a private sale. So if you do intend on trading it in after 3 years the extended warranty is a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I would still go for the Opel - it is a far superior car plus that 1.7 diesel is from Isuzu which means it is bulletproof.

The 1.4 turbo petrol is also in tax band B(156 road tax) for around the same price but won't have expensive Dual Mass Flywheel trouble(which every modern manual diesel has these days unfortunately).

Well I'm collecting my new Renault Megane in the morning.
    The Astra was nicer BUT it was the price that won in the end.
    Thanks for all comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I would still go for the Opel - it is a far superior car plus that 1.7 diesel is from Isuzu which means it is bulletproof.

We've a dead 04 one sitting outside our office for the past 6 months and another on its way out that says different. Thats out of the grand total of 2 we've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

mollzer wrote: »
    VW. dont touch opel. get a golf.have a 07 golf tdi myself. opel are german too but tis like comparin celtic with rangers. everyone knows celtic are better. opel=no.Thats my advice anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    VW. dont touch opel. get a golf.have a 07 golf tdi myself. opel are german too but tis like comparin celtic with rangers. everyone knows celtic are better. opel=no.Thats my advice anyway.

o......k so.

Anyway the OP is picking up his new Megane in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

lol loved your reply!! thanks for the laugh...............dont think my 2 kids and dog would fit as well into either of those.......the Grand Megane far better suited for my needs.

Ah well, maybe when I'm older, I can still dream lol

Advertisement