Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asbestos, how long to live

• 03-03-2010 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello

Just moved into a house that needed renovation. The house has Asbestos chimney pipe and roof. There are now works in the chimney and all around creating lots of dust. We sleep in the next room where the dust gets in little bit. How long do I have?

Also will the garden be contaminated by the Asbestos roof tiles, so gardening is out of the question?

Thanks,
    T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Figerty

I had an uncle that died from Asbestoses after being exposed years ago. I took well over forty years for it to surface. He worked with it constantly for a number of years abroad, so I would think your risk level is extremely low.

There are many forms of Asbestos, not all area as toxic as you might think ( from my limited knowledge) You can get a sample tested to see which type it is. I don't know who does the tests, possible the Health and Safety Authority.

Anyone who is working around Asbestos should be taking serious precautions and I think you are right to be concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Follow Figerty's advice. Can I ask why you are sleeping in the house when you know asbestos dust is getting into your bedroom?

Its the dust that does the damage so if the roof tiles are intact in your garden - no dust - no problem. Get your Registered Asbestos Contractor to deal with all these safety issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

sounds a bit strange. you have someone doing work on asbestos but they are managing to contaminate everywhere. are these guys qualified in asbestos removal and disposal?

it is your responsibility to hire someone with the correct credentials. especially if they are dumping toxic material places where they should not be.

AFAIK there are 2 types of asbestos. red and white. both bad but one is considerable worst than the other.

if you contractors were anyway good they would have recommended you to vacate the house while work was ongoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

totaluser wrote: »
    Hello

How long do I have?

Thanks,
    T

Baed on the information supplied I'd estimate two or three. Four at max !

HAVE YOU MADE OUT A WILL ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think we need more information here. Is the work being done actually being done to either the asbestos roof or chimney itself, or just the surrounding area?

If it's just the surrounding area, and the asbestos itself isn't being damaged or worked on in any other way, you're fine.

On the other hand, if the asbestos itself is being drilled, sawn or otherwise broken resulting in asbestos dust being spread about the area, then STOP IMMEDIATELY! You're not only putting yourself and your family, but your neighbours in danger, and may even be committing an offence. Asbestos dust is dangerous stuff when inhaled, and while it may not pose an immediate health risk it will several years down the line in the form of asbestosis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

For things like roofs ,you need planning permission to take down.
    Inside your house ,you need to bag it in special bags and get it taken away professionally.

I've taken out about a hundred asbestos flues in the past ten years ,I've had check-ups and everything is fine so far ,touch wood.

Maybe the dust you are talking about is the construction work going on. Why not share your concerns with whoever is working there ,putting emphasis on how they are getting rid of the asbestos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,617 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How could asbestos dust be getting into the garden if it is being properly disposed of? Check out http://www.epa.ie/whatwedo/advice/asbestos/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

The OP is having a laugh surely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 johnny1234

Your contractors ahould not be working in such an area where there is asbestos dust. Ban them off site immediately and get professionals in to deal with this. Look at what happened to Christy Hennessy from breathing in Asbestos.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

totaluser wrote: »
    Hello

The house has Asbestos chimney pipe and roof. There are now works in the chimney and all around creating lots of dust. We sleep in the next room where the dust gets in little bit. How long do I have?

Dont buy any new shirts, you dont have long left

• Advertisement
Advertisement