Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Cork drivers block junctions?

Options
  • 03-03-2010 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Not intending this thread to turn into a moan about all motoring habits, so please keep it on topic.

Was out yesterday, and every single major junction I came to had people sitting in the yellow boxes. There's a habit in Cork that if you're coming from lets say Washington Street, and you want to turn for the Grand Parade, if you see a car stuck in the junction, you drive into the junction anyway, and put your car behind theirs with the nose pointing almost in the right direction. Another car will then do the same. Another car will then enter the junction, and block everyone else from moving anywhere.

WTF People! Can't you just wait your bloody turn like everyone else? And why are other drivers so polite about it. If someone does something stupid like this, hold the horn down for the entire time, call them an idiot. Its the only way people will actually learn it's not acceptable!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Not intending this thread to turn into a moan about all motoring habits, so please keep it on topic.

Was out yesterday, and every single major junction I came to had people sitting in the yellow boxes. There's a habit in Cork that if you're coming from lets say Washington Street, and you want to turn for the Grand Parade, if you see a car stuck in the junction, you drive into the junction anyway, and put your car behind theirs with the nose pointing almost in the right direction. Another car will then do the same. Another car will then enter the junction, and block everyone else from moving anywhere.

WTF People! Can't you just wait your bloody turn like everyone else? And why are other drivers so polite about it. If someone does something stupid like this, hold the horn down for the entire time, call them an idiot. Its the only way people will actually learn it's not acceptable!

I hear ya - there are some very ignorant people in Cork City!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

leahyl wrote: »
    I hear ya - there are some very ignorant people Northsiders in Cork City!

Fixed that for ya! :D:D:D:D

murphym7 wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya! :D:D:D:D

well aren't you quite the comedian!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

well aren't you quite the comedian!!:D

Clearly a low(life)lander or from the marshes as they are known... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

OP I can tell you that this doesn't just happen in Cork but all over the country, I have seen it in many places!

...but yes it is seriously annoying and ultimately these people get stuck on the red and end up blocking up the whole road... b%$tards!! :mad:

• Advertisement

Clearly a low(life)lander or from the marshes as they are known... :D

Yes obviously - probably somewhere like the ROOOOCHESTOWN ROOOOAD!:D or CROSSHAVEN:D!

This is a very odd thread considering someone text into Today FM this morning asking why Galway drivers always block Yellow boxes.

Guess it's not just corkonians eh!

I'm a dub by the way, just spotted the thread on the homepage.

This is a very odd thread considering someone text into Today FM this morning asking why Galway drivers always block Yellow boxes.

Guess it's not just corkonians eh!

I'm a dub by the way, just spotted the thread on the homepage.

i know it's every county in Ireland really - just i don't spend a lot of time outside Cork so....:D

i know it's every county in Ireland really - just i don't spend a lot of time outside Cork so....:D

Ah we don't do that type of thing in Dublin :P

Ah now.....wait a minute you shouldn't even be here - you're a DUB!!:mad:..............:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

it is worse in Cork though (I've lived all over the country). The other cork driving habit that takes a bit of getting used to is that no-one wants to be the first car to stop at a red light. Often several cars will go through the red light, dangerous for someone who doesn't know this and takes off pretty fast in the other direction when they get green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I live in Dublin, and oh yes you do! Dublin drivers are maniacs! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

it is worse in Cork though (I've lived all over the country). The other cork driving habit that takes a bit of getting used to is that no-one wants to be the first car to stop at a red light. Often several cars will go through the red light, dangerous for someone who doesn't know this and takes off pretty fast in the other direction when they get green.

THIS!

I don't know if it's just Cork but it's getting crazy the number of cars that go through amber and red lights!

I wonder what it is about yellow boxes too. People just can't face the idea that the lights are green but the junction is blocked. HAVE...to...go...through....someone might get my place!!!

But I've noticed no-one ever drives in a bus lane in Cork. These are only functional for a couple of hours a day during rush hour and no-one ever uses them. Solution? Replace all yellow boxes with white painted boxes with "BUS LANE" printed in them. Guaranteed no-one will ever enter them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

so true about the bus lanes, i use them regularly, the bus lane hours are very few a couple in the mornings and again after i think 4. 30. but the looks you get when you drive in them !!!!! god !

Malari wrote: »
    But I've noticed no-one ever drives in a bus lane in Cork. These are only functional for a couple of hours a day during rush hour and no-one ever uses them. Solution? Replace all yellow boxes with white painted boxes with "BUS LANE" printed in them. Guaranteed no-one will ever enter them.
    very true now that you say it.

so true about the bus lanes, i use them regularly, the bus lane hours are very few a couple in the mornings and again after i think 4. 30. but the looks you get when you drive in them !!!!! god !

+1! I feel guilty almost when i drive in them at the allowed times!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

This is what you reap, when you turn a few hundred thousand L drivers loose, without sitting a test. Every day I see drivers sitting in over-taking lanes able to pull over but off in 'la la' land and oblivious of the tail back behind them, drivers running red lights at virtually every traffic light, drivers unable to filter onto main roads and assuming they have right of way, tail-gating, drivers with front fog lights on all the sime, drivers standing on their brake lights when stopped, drivers driving around parked vehicles, into the path of on-coming traffic.....do the cops ever punish dangerous driving. Not that I've seen. In fact, cops are some of the worst offenders. Its enough to make you weep.

Max001 wrote: »
    This is what you reap, when you turn a few hundred thousand L drivers loose, without sitting a test. Every day I see drivers sitting in over-taking lanes able to pull over but off in 'la la' land and oblivious of the tail back behind them, drivers running red lights at virtually every traffic light, drivers unable to filter onto main roads and assuming they have right of way, tail-gating, drivers with front fog lights on all the sime, drivers standing on their brake lights when stopped, drivers driving around parked vehicles, into the path of on-coming traffic.....do the cops ever punish dangerous driving. Not that I've seen. In fact, cops are some of the worst offenders. Its enough to make you weep.

In fairness it's rarely the L drivers that I see doing the above (yes it could be an L driver with no plates up) but yes it is very annoying!

Cops are bad, taxi drivers are the worst!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

kingtut wrote: »
    In fairness it's rarely the L drivers that I see doing the above (yes it could be an L driver with no plates up) but yes it is very annoying!

Cops are bad, taxi drivers are the worst!

Fair point, however it was the L drivers who were 'handed' their licences in the amnesty a few years ago that I meant. But its probably unfair to single them out, cause driving courtesy seems pretty rare. However, expect little and occsionally you're pleasantly surprised :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

No ye all just drive like grannies, was up in the smoke filled city two weekends ago and it was a joke how slowly they drive... And as for courtesy.. well the less said the better, shocked some of them by letting them out ahead of me from side roads in heavy traffic.

Pathetic.. :eek:

• Advertisement

Max001 wrote: »
    Fair point, however it was the L drivers who were 'handed' their licences in the amnesty a few years ago that I meant. But its probably unfair to single them out, cause driving courtesy seems pretty rare. However, expect little and occsionally you're pleasantly surprised :)

Oh ye I know what you mean I'm just saying how in my experience of L drivers they are very aware of the ROTR and obey them 99% of the time (but of course I am assuming that L plates means you are a learner driver, no L plates means you are not, which as we know is a big assumption :rolleyes:).

Yes expect little is right! Even if someone is indicating to turn say left at a roundabout (meaning I can enter the roundabout) I still wait because half the time they bloody go straight on grrr :mad:

If I was given €1 for every breach of the ROTR that I witnessed I'd be a billionaire :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

ah driving in cork,

also just a note on bus lanes correct me if im wrong but im sure the are active from 7.30am -9.30am and 4.30pm - 6.30 pm.

anyways on my way to work most mornings about 8am down towards dennehys cross from the CUH the amount of idiots who do use the bus lane is unbelieveable, and to make matters worse where it ends there is a filter lane for those obeying the rules into the main lane again and they refuse point blank to stop and let you in despite the fact they shouldnt be there in your way in the first place! best one i saw though was by the airport bus lane just before the kinsale road roundabout the gardaí had about 6 cars pulled for driving in a bus lane!

best one i saw though was by the airport bus lane just before the kinsale road roundabout the gardaí had about 6 cars pulled for driving in a bus lane!

Everytime I see this a smile appears upon my face and I end up in a fit of laughter for a few minutes :D

Same thing often happens when people are travelling from the Sarsfield to the Bandon road roundabout, they get into the Wilton lane before it officially begins and then get out of it right at the very end. Both actions being illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

kingtut wrote: »
    Everytime I see this a smile appears upon my face and I end up in a fit of laughter for a few minutes :D

Same thing often happens when people are travelling from the Sarsfield to the Bandon road roundabout, they get into the Wilton lane before it officially begins and then get out of it right at the very end. Both actions being illegal.

I used to come home after night shift this way and a few mornings I saw the Gardai talking to people who tried to use the inside lane to jump the queue of traffic right up to the top and then force the other 2 lanes to let them drive straight on. Oh happy days, I felt like parking the car and running back and saying Thnaks to the Guards.

Did you ever notice there is a sign dumped in the "hard shoulder" (I don't know the correct name for the edge of the roundabout with white lines across it) of the roundabout & it seems to be there to block them doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The yellow box problem is nationwide (except Letrim, they don't have any yellow boxes up there). Its as bad in Limerick and Galway as it is in Cork. People just drive into them without having the intelligence to see if the path ahead is clear. Its just involves taking a common sense approach to driving and having some respect for fellow road users. The junction where South Main St meets Washington St is one of the worst spots for it in Cork though, tailbacks from the grand parade junction go all the way up washington st, and people who want to go straight through South Main St towards the Beamish Brewery are blocked by idiots on Wash St. Its so annoying.

The bandon road roundabout is a hotspot for this. People coming from bishopstown direction always drive out past the lights and block up three lanes of traffic. Traffic coming from the dunnes side or ballincollig can't get through even though they have the green light And for what? As far as I can tell they don't save any time on their journey. Idiots :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

grenache wrote: »
    (except Letrim, they don't have any yellow boxes up there)

lol, I heard they haven't got roundabouts either!

One of the worst places for this yellow box problem is by the Opera House.

anyways on my way to work most mornings about 8am down towards dennehys cross from the CUH the amount of idiots who do use the bus lane is unbelieveable, and to make matters worse where it ends there is a filter lane for those obeying the rules into the main lane again and they refuse point blank to stop and let you in despite the fact they shouldnt be there in your way in the first place! best one i saw though was by the airport bus lane just before the kinsale road roundabout the gardaí had about 6 cars pulled for driving in a bus lane!
    I could never understand why this road is laid out that way?

The other bad driving habit I've become more aware of recently is the number of people not getting out of the way of emergency vehicles. On foot the other day, I saw 5 cars cross a crossroad (top of college road) in front of a fire truck just so they wouldn't get caught behind it. Regularly see similar stuff with ambulances. I know the narrow streets in cork can make it difficult to get out of the way sometimes but there a lot of the time it's people just not wanting to get held up for 30 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

theres a bus lane going to the airport???

What annoys me about Cork drivers in particular is so many people who've been driving for more then 15 years seems to have no idea how to use a roundabout especially in relation to indicating. In fact indicating in general is poor. Oh and people who think theres a fast lane, theres not its an overtaking lane so if your not overtaking dont go in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Balmed Out wrote: »
    What annoys me about Cork drivers in particular is so many people who've been driving for more then 15 years seems to have no idea how to use a roundabout .

Try Galway, it will make you happy to live in Cork. Galway's rush hour plus roundabouts will take years off your life, and add grey hairs to your head.

Advertisement