Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to find out how a bike is restricted to 25kw?

• 03-03-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking around at bikes and since I've only 6 months left till the government fell I'm safe to have a full power bike I want one that's easy to derestrict;) I've looked on the Fi International site and searched the web but can't find any answers. I don't want to buy a bike where the ECU is replaced but can't find out which ones are. Does anyone know a site that will tell how a bike is restricted?

edit/

I'm looking to buy in the UK so it's for PC plod on the way home in case I get stopped.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Because there is no set way of doing it there is no database of how its done.

But to start you off, Kawaski Er-6n, restricted with a screw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Because there is no set way of doing it there is no database of how its done.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

So many jokes there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

And now for the seriouse reply:

Just a thought, but could you not get a mate to ride it back for you?

Then you could buy what you want.

And, I know that you would not ride in until your restriction is up in six months*. :D

* unless it is just around the estate. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

CB400, restricted by my right wrist.

may or may not be accepted by the law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Any good bike dealer will be able to restrict any bike for you. Having said that it makes no sense to restrict something like an R1 for six months considering how much it would cost.

To answer your question - There is no set way of finding out how (or if) a bike is restricted.

Factory restricted bikes have a limitation in the ECU which prevents them making full power. To derestrict, you swap out the ECU, which is expensive. Factory restrictions are the oly ones recognised by insurers.

Aftermarket restrictions like the FI International ones often take the form of washers which sit between the inlets & the engine for example. They simply reduce the bore, which restricts air flow. Because they "fall out" so often, insurers will charge you full whack.

There's various other sorts of restrictions too, depends on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

P.C. wrote: »
    And now for the seriouse reply:

Just a thought, but could you not get a mate to ride it back for you?

And let someone else ride my new baby:( I've a friend in the UK who's offered already. But I work shift so have plenty of free time to go and get it. The other option is get it delivered to Hollyhead Ferry Terminal.

I was just checking to see if there was an easy way to find out but there isn't. I'll just call the distributer here and see what they say about how the bike is restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

carsQhere wrote: »
    Factory restrictions are the only ones recognised by insurers.

I have had no issue with getting insured on a non-factory restricted CB400 (provisional license), so I'm pretty sure this statement is not correct. You do need to send them a copy of the restriction certificate though.

Insurance companies generally aren't too fussy about restrictions, until a claim comes in.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

carsQhere wrote: »
    Factory restricted bikes have a limitation in the ECU which prevents them making full power. To derestrict, you swap out the ECU, which is expensive. Factory restrictions are the oly ones recognised by insurers.

this is incorrect.. no hard and fast rules when it comes to factory restriction Im afraid! Most, if not all, factory restricted kwacks are restricted via throttle stops for example

OP, you'll need talk to the owner to find out how its restricted. Or the owners mechanic..

actually the restriction certificate may give clues.. (?) for example, I'm selling a restricted gsr600. If my restriction cert is issued by suzuki themselves, its an ECU swap job, but if its issued by FI international, it'll be washers, brackets, stops etc (dunno who FI do their restrictions)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Jaden wrote: »
    I have had no issue with getting insured on a non-factory restricted CB400 (provisional license), so I'm pretty sure this statement is not correct. You do need to send them a copy of the restriction certificate though.

Insurance companies generally aren't too fussy about restrictions, until a claim comes in.....

I think what he means is that when you have a factory restricted bike, ie; the chassis and reg are tied to a official restriction your bike, it gets put into a lower insurance category and therefore less cost. On the other hand, third party restrictions ie like mine(:rolleyes:) are not recognized and my insurance is the same on my bike regardless of the power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Ahhhhh, always wondered about that. Thanks for clearing it up for me. On a side not, is €250 a reasonable cost for having a restrictor fitted (CB 400 in case the bike type is relevant)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Jaden wrote: »
    Ahhhhh, always wondered about that. Thanks for clearing it up for me. On a side not, is €250 a reasonable cost for having a restrictor fitted (CB 400 in case the bike type is relevant)?

Seems to be the going rate. And nice choice of bike :D

Advertisement