Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lying about current salary?

Options
  • 03-03-2010 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in a job at the moment with desirable qualifications & experience.
    My current salary does not reflect that at all.

I'm applying for new roles and i'm just wondering about the current salary question on application forms & in interviews.

Would it be ok to inflate this number somewhat?
    Opinions?

I'm on peanuts now for a job i should be getting at least an extra €7 - €10k per year for.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Ttttimbo wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in a job at the moment with desirable qualifications & experience.
    My current salary does not reflect that at all.

I'm applying for new roles and i'm just wondering about the current salary question on application forms & in interviews.

Opinions?

I'm on peanuts now for a job i should be getting at least an extra €7 - €10k per year for.

Great idea. When your P45 comes in and shows you are earning less than you claimed you will have marked yourself as a bull****ter and liar from day 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 petitepois

You don't have to supply your p45 to your new employer so I wouldn't worry about that, it explains on p45 what to do in this case.

Beware though, you never know what will be asked in a telephone reference so might be safer to tell the truth and use this as your reason for leaving, make clear what your expected salary will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Ttttimbo wrote: »

Opinions?

You are under no obligation to disclose your current salary. You can side step that question with "my current salary expectation is X amount" without saying what you are earning now.

When I interview candidates I never ask them what they are currently earning. Its completely irrevant to the salary I am offering. But I do ask them what they are expecting salary-wise from me.

Send in your own P45 to revenue, you dont have to give it to employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Wont they still find out what your salary is when they go to do up your P60 at the end of the year?
    When you've told them you were earning 50K per year and your P60, with 6 months employment somewhere else, only shows 30 they might twig it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭micdug

jimoc wrote: »
    Wont they still find out what your salary is when they go to do up your P60 at the end of the year?
    When you've told them you were earning 50K per year and your P60, with 6 months employment somewhere else, only shows 30 they might twig it then.

TBH Payroll in all but the smallest company (who tend to outsource to a bureau anyway) is an clerical process carried out in bulk, usually in confidence given most organisations do not advertise everyones salary so restrict access to one or two people in payroll/finance dept. It will almost certainly not cross your manager or HR's desk.

Homeowner is absolutely correct though - you are under no obligation. Even if they ask you what your salary is, reply that my expectation is X. I doubt they will persue. I'd always be cautious with lieing about anything though - Ireland is a very very small country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cheers guys.

The reason I asked was because the company I applied for (very large Irish Company) have their own online application form and Current Salary question is one that has to be answered. (Marked with asterix)

I think its a very intrusive question. I inflated it in the end but probably wont even get called so its all the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Thirty Thirty

jimoc wrote: »

Unless the person interviewing you is doing payroll then I wouldn't worry. And to be honest, it would take a lot more work to find someone out on this than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So I actually ended up getting this job and being offered a significantly higher wage thanks to the 'current salary' I put down.

Now, my next problem is the P45.
    I heard you can contact the Tax Office and arrange to have one made up which omits previous salary. A P21 or something...
    Any truth to this?

Advertisement