Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOMS be Gone!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

You could try cutting the volume.
    Go for 3x5 instead.
    Just a suggestion, comes from on of the coaches who The Belgian ripped off with stronglifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

FTA69 wrote: »
    Went in, failed on the bench. Had to be rescued. Humiliating. .

Been there:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Yeah you're a woman though, I'm a big manly man thus my macho ego was cruelly deflated... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

I had a bit of a tip backwards while extended with the over head press. I had that momentary feeling I was going to drop the weight and fall on my arse. So did the guy to the side as he took a side step away...

Hope this week is better for you buddy, last week sounds a shocker....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Went in, failed on the bench. Had to be rescued. Humiliating. Did machines and pull-ups. All in all a waste of f*cking time. Time to the pull the f*cking finger out, reset slightly, get my diet reorganised and start hitting Stronglifts properly come Monday.

I rather fail benching a decent weight then be seen farting around doing 20 ga-zillion reps with **** all weight looking for 'the pump'.. :pac:

Nothing humiliating about dropping a rep at all man.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the encouragement lads, started work as a bouncer there so I'd need to take my fitness a bit more seriously. Anyway's got a tub of creatine, and went to Tesco's today to load up on sweet potato, chicken, beef, fish, bananas, milk and the usual goodies.

Just back from the gym there now, lowered the weights and will take a couple of weeks to work back up to a decent weight.

Bench Press
    70kg 5x5

Squat
    95kg 5x5

Inverted Rows
    1x8 1x7 1x6

Push-ups
    3xF

I don't know is it the heat but I was destroyed after, soaked in sweat.

Yeah you're a woman though, I'm a big manly man thus my macho ego was cruelly deflated... :D

Not as deflated as the guy who tried and failed to lift the barbell off me at the time:pac: Now whisht with your man-plaining and go get a new bench PR:D

G86 wrote: »
    Not as deflated as the guy who tried and failed to lift the barbell off me at the time:pac:

Were you not pushing????

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Were you not pushing????

Eh I failed the rep...hence not being able to move the bar. Anyhow, old story and not my log! Fair play on keeping at it FTA69 :)

Eh I failed the rep...hence not being able to move the bar.

You still push!
    The idea is the spotter takes a proportion of the weight, not all of it. You don't just give up and let the spotter pull it off you.
    Christ, you are asking your spotter to do an upright row at elbows length leaning over a bench.

• Advertisement

d'Oracle wrote: »
    You still push!
    The idea is the spotter takes a proportion of the weight, not all of it. You don't just give up and let the spotter pull it off you.
    Christ, you are asking your spotter to do an upright row at elbows length leaning over a bench.

Jeesh, let it go. I didn't have a spotter, I had to roll the bar down to my hips and try get someones attention, was kinda funny in hindsight but like I said - old story.

I didn't have a spotter, I had to roll the bar down to my hips and try get someones attention, was kinda funny in hindsight but like I said - old story.

Oh right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Failing at the bench is actually a fear of mine, I get strength and weakness in spurts, I could be 1 rep away from failure and not know it, think it's the low blood pressure.
    No one in my gym want's to spot + there are very few I'd like to have spot me.
    The bench setup we have in our gym leaves no room for error, nothing to save your face if it goes wrong.
    I can't wait until xmas, saving to buy a power rack, just so I can bench heavy and not be in constant fear.
    I generally roughly work out my 1RM on the smith, it's not perfect but I can generally figure out a rough 8 to 12 rep range from it.

Getting better anyway.

Squats
    97.5kg 5x5

Easy.

Overhead Press
    40kg 5x5

Grand.

Pull-ups
    1x6 1x5 1x4

Deadlift
    120kg 1x5

Grand.

Onwards and upwards.

Ah back on track now, by the end of next week I'll be back to my previous levels and hopefully a bit stronger as well.

Bench Press
    72.5kg 5x5

Grand job.

Squats
    100kg 5x5

Easy.

Inverted Rows
    1x9 2x7

Push-ups
    3xF

Wrists again. Must strap it up.

Grand session today, got everything accomplished although the grip is starting to become an issue on the deadlift; must acquire liquid chalk, post haste.

Squats
    102.5kg 5x5

Easy.

Overhead Press
    42.5kg 5x5

Difficult, the last two sets were touch and go but I got them out in the end. I've a feeling I'll stall on the 45kg on Friday though.

Pull-ups
    2x6 1x5

Deadlift
    122.5kg 1x5

Hard, but only because of the tenuous grip.

Annoyance.com, didn't do the best now at all. Mixed bag like.

Bench Press
    75kg 3x5 2x4

Boo f*cking urns to this, I did this no bother a couple of weeks ago. I'd better nail it on Monday or will have to consider reducing the volume.

Squat
    105kg 5x5

Easy, happy days.

Inverted Row
    1x9 1x8 1x7

Push-ups
    3xF

Reduced volume is calling I'd say, everything's now turning into a pig's f*cking ear (apart from the squat.) Maybe it's because I'm no longer eating 4000 calories a day or whatever but I feel a fair bit weaker than I did a few weeks ago when I was liquidizing bananas and peanut butter.

Squats
    107.5kg 5x5

Grand, no bothers. Shame everything else is turning to sh*t.

Overhead Press
    45kg 3x5 1x3 1x1

Goosed, and picked up a niggle in my bad trap.

Pull-ups
    1x6 1x5 1x4

Deadlift
    125kg 1x3 FAIL

Balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I feel a fair bit weaker than I did a few weeks ago when I was liquidizing bananas and peanut butter.

****in legend!

+1 :D

• Advertisement

Take a few days off, eat like a pig! I was in the same boat but I did exactly that and I've come back a lot stronger. When I say eat like a pig I mean get those carbs in!
    I also changed my rep count to no more than 8, really helped me pile on the weight.
    Sounds like your fatigued, do you have any deloading days or days off? I couldn't be arsed deloading so I take a few off when I feel fatigue setting in. Usually I'll come back stronger, if I load on the carbs.
    Don't feel it makes me fatter at all, but then what's one or two pounds, when you're back making gains!
    Also I notice if I go to the gym not expecting anything good, I usually fail too, this was brought home by a new guy at work, he happened to be the same guy doing bent-over rows with 120kgs, 80kg (for 12 fecking reps a set!! ^ ^) military on the smith etc at my local gym and I noticed him cos he was always psycing himself up before a set, now, after i talked to him for a bit he told me, it's a lot to do with the mind and visualizing yourself lifting like a machine, getting through the work you've set, I've started psycing myself up now before sets (quitely not like my friend from work who woops, sings songs etc). But you know what, I look up to that guy, he's 40 and doesn't give a sh1te who's around, he just does the business and enjoys it and maintains a positive attitude. BTW he's built like a tank.

I'll have to buy a liquidiser again so I think and mangle my way through industrial amounts of munch again. After that a bit of cutting might be in order, 3L of milk a day = gut.
    ****in legend!

One large banana, 3/4 a pint of milk, scoop of whey, glug of extra-virgin olive oil, 80g grams of peanut butter. Fits neatly into a pint glass and clocks around 1000 calories, two of them bad boys a day and weight gain will cease to be a problem.

Beefcake for life.

I'd rather 2 chicken breasts fried in olive oil throw in some veg + dried spices and add some quinoa.

I do have my shakes, 2 a day, but other than pre and post WO, I'd rather have half a carton of egg whites in the pan.

I did buy a langer-load of quick oats at dunnes fotr 99c a bag so I'll try a morning shake with whey and quick oats (finely powdered). I'm pretty lazy in the morning so sometimes I won't bother with eggs, just a bowl of porridge the oats might be a nice addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

FTA69, Are you squatting with the smith machine or unaided?

Also, thanks for the up on the shake: (One large banana, 3/4 a pint of milk, scoop of whey, glug of extra-virgin olive oil, 80g grams of peanut butter) I've added in Spirulina which I take every day. And your shake hides the rank taste of it :D

Apip99 wrote: »
    FTA69, Are you squatting with the smith machine or unaided?

Also, thanks for the up on the shake: (One large banana, 3/4 a pint of milk, scoop of whey, glug of extra-virgin olive oil, 80g grams of peanut butter) I've added in Spirulina which I take every day. And your shake hides the rank taste of it :D

Unaided, smith machines should only be used for inverted rows in my opinion, I hate the f*cking things.

Unaided, smith machines should only be used for inverted rows in my opinion.

.. hanging you're towel on! :D

I'm pretty lazy in the morning so sometimes I won't bother with eggs.

Microwave scrambed eggs, takes like 2 seconds.

I dunno I use em for seated military from time to time. Better to use the smith then queue for the bench sometimes....hmmm maybe 2 benches would be the better option lol.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Hey FTA69,

I'm doing SL too. I'm on the same figures as yourself but I've reset my squat back to 40kg and working up, I have flat feet and it causes my knees to force inwards on the squat which has resulted in a week abductor on left inner knee. So I stopped squatting for a good while but back at it now.

I failed on the last set, last rep of 72.5kg bench, I was soooo close!

Going to be trying 45kg press tomorrow evening, I think I failed the last time pretty badly :)

Keep up the good work though, I likes your squatting numbers.

Some polish dude was squatting 120 yesterday, I was chatting to him about it, he said I was going down too far (just below parallel) and that it was bad for my knees. Needless to say I didn't say a whole bunch to him just that I thought he was wrong!

• Advertisement

Microwave scrambed eggs, takes like 2 seconds.

I'll try anything once ^ ^, but not a fan of big mike tbh, still thanks for the tip.

Advertisement