Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOMS be Gone!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Thanks for the comments lads, I've dropped the volume down to 3 sets for the time being.

Squat
    110kg 3x5

Easy.

Bench
    75kg 3x5

Easy.

Inverted Rows
    1x9 1x8 1x7

Easy.

Push-ups
    3xF Also easy.

All in all, delightful easiness but looking forward to the heavier weights that come with reduced volume. Now, off to all-you-can-eat Thai buffet to celebrate.

I'm actually a martyr like, as soon as I start to make progress I get f*cking injured.

Squats
    112.5kg 3x5

Grand job.

Press
    45kg 3x5

Also fine

Pull-ups
    3x6

Grand

Deadlift
    125kg 1x3

FAIL, FOLLOWED BY INJURY!

My lower back just popped, it's only feeling a bit tender now but I definitely strained something there. I'm not going near a barbell until it's fixed completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Sorry to hear it mate, hope it clears up, if it's worse by the end of the week go see the doc, if it's you sciatic nerve that's inflamed early treatment is crucial.

It's some balls, it doesn't feel like nerve damage then again I wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about in that regard. It just feels like a strain, still, I'm taking no chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Sorry to hear buddy. Hope its nothing to major.

• Advertisement

Oh the agonising pain of it all.

Should have taken up golf instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

golfer-costume.jpg

I'd stick to the weights buddy....

Right, back to bloody business. I'm after losing half a stone since the lay off due to a back injury, so I said I'd better back to the gym albeit taking it mad handy at the start.

Bench Press
    65kg 3x5

Effortless.

Squat
    100kg 3x5

Felt like an empty bar.

Inverted Row
    1x9 1x8 1x7

Push-ups
    3xF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

FTA69 wrote: »
    Right, back to bloody business. I'm after losing half a stone since the lay off due to a back injury, so I said I'd better back to the gym albeit taking it mad handy at the start.

Bench Press
    65kg 3x5

Effortless.

Squat
    100kg 3x5

Felt like an empty bar.

Inverted Row
    1x9 1x8 1x7

Push-ups
    3xF

Half a stone??? WTF? have you been doing cardio?
    1st day back in the gym after a rest, batteries charged you probably feel like Heman!
    Glad you're back in action :D

Half a stone??? WTF? have you been doing cardio?
    1st day back in the gym after a rest, batteries charged you probably feel like Heman!
    Glad you're back in action :D

Half a stone lost, working nights and not eating 4000 calories a day is probably the casue. I'm naturally skinny so when I take the eye off the ball the weight starts to fall off.

• Advertisement

Grand easy session today, probably dropped too much weight of the deadlift but as I said, I'm taking it well handy considering what happened two weeks ago.

Squat
    105kg 3x5

Again, felt like an empty bar.

Press
    40kg 3x5

Very easy.

Pull-ups
    2x6 1x5

Deadlift
    110kg 1x5

Very easy also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Half a stone lost, working nights and not eating 4000 calories a day is probably the casue. I'm naturally skinny so when I take the eye off the ball the weight starts to fall off.

I'm naturally fat! Opposite happens to me haha :pac:

I'm naturally fat! Opposite happens to me haha :pac:

And yet you're squandering your God-given gift with low-carbing and other such nonsense!

Bench Press
    70kg 3x5

Easy. Does anyone else training in the Mardyke notice the fact some of the benches are at a gammy angle?

Squat
    107.5kg 3x5

Grand job.

Inverted Rows
    1x9 1x8 1x7

Push-ups
    3xF

All in all, progressing again nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Bench Press
    70kg 3x5

Easy. Does anyone else training in the Mardyke notice the fact some of the benches are at a gammy angle?

Dont use the adjustable ones for benching.

Dont use the adjustable ones for benching.

Yeah there's only one flat bench in there though and it can be a pain in the balls waiting for that at times.

Anyhoo, grand session today.

Squat
    110kg 3x5

Easy out.

Overhead Press
    42.5 3x5

This was ok, a bit wobbly on the last set but I took hardly any break between sets, about 40 seconds or so.

Pull-ups
    3x6

Need to start progressing on these a bit more.

Deadlift
    115kg 1x5

Grand, should be back to a decent weight in no time. No compaints from the auld back.

Yeah there's only one flat bench in there though and it can be a pain in the balls waiting for that at times.

i find if you take 2 or 3 caffeine tabs then stand near the bench people leave.

it's amazing how unsettling people find it when you sweat in there directioin for no apparent reason.

Genius plan. Coupled with some dark muttering as well as a blast of protein farts that should clear them quick enough.

Right, mad tired today, pure fatigue. That's what you get for skipping meals the day before, fail to prepare and prepare to fail as the saying goes. Nobody else to blame. Also skipped breakfast today and just mangled a few bananas on the way to the gym.

Bench Press
    72.5kg 3x5

Squat
    112.5kg 3x5

Inverted Rows
    3xF

All of the above were tear inducingly hard. Must stuff my face now.

Grand session today, felt a bit weak but got the lifts out with proper form.

Squat
    115kg 3x5

Not as bad as I expected it to be.

Press
    45kg 3x5

This was tough enough. On the start of last set I farted, and then managed to squeeze out another fart for every rep I did. Much fun had by all. Bloody protein.

Pull-ups
    3x6

Deadlift
    120kg 1x5

Grand, was very consicious of form and the weight moved up very easily.

Was working through the night until 9am and got no sleep but because I missed Monday I knew I'd to go in today or the week'd be ruined. Gobbled a load of stir-fry and headed in, was pleasantly surprised.

Bench Press
    75kg 3x5

Handy out.

Squat
    117.5kg 3x5

PR! Delighted with this. Not so delighted with going temporarily blind and doing a little puke in my mouth.

Inverted Rows
    3xF

• Advertisement

I've narrowed your job down to 3 different options.

2 of them are illegal.

1 is a gard.

I've narrowed your job down to 3 different options.

2 of them are illegal.

1 is a gard.

Me? In the filth? I've never been more insulted in all my life. I'd rather shoot myself in the face than join the police.

I work as a bouncer at weekends and a milkman during the week. Cas closed!

Guard indeed... :D

Delighted with today, set two PRs; I'm almost back to my rpevious strength levels even though I've lost a stone.

Squat
    120kg 3x5

PR! Tough but manageable, I'm curious to see how far I can go with this.

Press
    47.5kg

PR again, but extremely difficult. Guaranteed stall next week I'd say.

Pull-ups
    2x6 1x4

Deadlift
    122.5kg

Hard, and the grip was tenuous on the last rep. Should be able to manage 125kg next week though.

F*cking bouncing, worst job ever. Got out of bed at lunch time feeling rough as a badgers arse, munched some eggs and cereal and bate on in to the gym.

Bench Press
    77.5kg 2x5 1x3

Thank f*ck I'd the presence of mind to call an instructor to spot the last two sets or else decapitation would have ensued. Perhaps it wasn't too bad but perhaps crunchy-nut cornflakes aren't adequate pre-gym fare either.

Squat
    122.5kg 3x5

A new PR, but also tear inducing, now can barely walk. Stall imminent methinks.

Inverted Rows
    3xF

Personally I think this linear lark has run its course for me, I've been doing various incarnations of it for over a year now. I'm conscious of not jumping on to the likes of 5/3/1 for the sake of novelty, but I think I could be ready for the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Have you tried microloading the bench & press yet?
    I.e. Going for 1kg increments?

Don't sell yourself short, you are still making the reps on the squat, so you haven't stalled yet and two missed reps on a pressing set does not amount to a stall.

I missed reps on my OH Press for 4 sessions on the trot, before upping the amount of rest between sets the other day and then getting it.

Thanks for the advice Oracle, however I started the 5/3/1 program today and plan to do two waves at least.

Anyways,

Week 1 Day 1 Overhead Press

Warm-up

Bar x 5
    25x5

Work sets

35kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 5

This was grand, no problems here.

Boring But Big
    22.5kg x 10 x 5

Merciful hour, a lot harder than it seems. A few other bouncers from work came in and saw me straining under a practically empty bar. Mortifying. I can feel the DOMS already.

Pull-ups

5 sets of 4 reps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Hey FTA, where are you getting the info for the 5/3/1 programme?

itsallabouttheL e-mailed me on the e-book. Why, am I doing something wrong?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

No no not at all!

• Advertisement

Christ almighty, I've never been as sore or aching in all my life. I don't know was it because I was out of the gym for 2 weeks or because of the large volume, all I know is my shoulders and lats are f*cking shagged.

Week 1 Day 2

Deadlift

Warm-up sets

Work Sets

82.5kg x 5
    92.5kg x 5
    107.5kg x 5

I know you're supposed to go all out on the last set but for some reason I barely managed to get the five. Previous to this I've only ever done one work set for the deadlift.

Boring But Big
    50kg x 10 x 5

Roman Chair
    3 x 8

Had to leave due to time constraints.

Advertisement