Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOMS be Gone!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Hey FTA,

I've decided to give 5/3/1 a go.

I created a google document to go with the plan:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Am9EqZ5s-PybdFYzT3lfNEp3MWhSZHVfak8wTXNJY2c&hl=en_GB&authkey=CI2rz5UC

Obviously they contain my own maxes on the lifts, it's possible to make a copy of the sheet and edit however you see fit.

My week starts on a Wednesday too and I'm going to aim for 4 days a week.

Might make a thread if other people want to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Fair play. My back is crying, too sore altogether. I was thinking I must have mis-read the part on the deadlift but I didn't. Worst DOMS ever. Must attend all-you-can-eat Thai buffet for comfort purposes.

Oh the pain of it all. This high volume lark is more brutal than it first appears. Plenty of faces pulled today!

Month 1 Week 1 Day 3

Bench Press

Warm-up

Work Sets

52.5kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5 + 2

Boring But Big

32.5kg x 10 x 5

Dumbell Row
    22kg x 10 x 5

All in all a grand session.

Right that's week 1 down, I've an ache in every muscle in my body I'd say.

Month 1 Week 1 Day 4

Stretches

Foam-Rolling (decided to start doing this, hopefully it will ease the crippling pain the next day.)

Squat

Warm-up sets

Work sets

82.5kg x 5
    92.5kg x 5
    107.5kg x 5 + 2

Boring But Big

50kg x 10 x 5

Leg Curl

35kg 1 x 10
    30kg 2 x 10

Month 1 Week 2 Day 1

Press

Warm-up sets

Work sets

37.5kg x 3
    42.5kg x 3
    47.5kg x 3 + 2

Boring But Big

22kg x 10 x 5

Pull-ups

5 sets of 4 reps.

All in all this was well handy, almost too easy nearly but slow and steady wins the race with 5/3/1.

• Advertisement

Month 1 Week 2 Day 2

Deadlift

Stretching

Foam-rolling

Warm-ups sets

Work sets

87.5kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    112.5kg x 3 + 1

Boring But Big

50kg x 10 x 5

Now must attend all-you-can-eat Indian.

Month 1 Week 2 Day 3 (In the Big-lifting Brother House)

Bench

Warm-up sets

Work sets
    55kg x 3
    65 x 3
    72.5kg x 3 + 2

Boring But Big

32.5kg x 10 x 5

Dumbbell Rows
    22kg x 10 x 5

I don't think I'm doing enough on the last work set. Must do better in future.

Month 1 Week 2 Day 4

Squat

Warm-up set

Work-sets

87.5kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    112.5kg x 3 + 3

Boring But Big

50kg x 10 x 5

Leg Curl
    30kg x 10 x 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

FTA69 wrote: »
    I don't think I'm doing enough on the last work set. Must do better in future.

As long as you get the prescribed reps you're fine.
    I find if I really push the top sets to failure then I'll get very f***ed up very fast.. and just won't be able to recover between workouts. Leaving a bit in the tank seems to work well (for me anyway).

Rotten cold the past few days, snot all over the place. No training done. Boo urns.

• Advertisement

Went for a nap earlier and felt a bit better upon waking up so I ended up going to the gym. Great session, feel much better than I did before and even set a PR.

Month 1 Week 3 Day 1

Press

Warm-up sets

Work sets

40kg x 5
    45kg x 3
    50kg x 1 + 2 PR

Delighted with this, even when I was a good bit heavier I couldn't manage a 50kg press and yet I knock one out on a bad cold with snot dribbling out of me. Exercise is a funny thing.

Boring But Big

22.5kg x 10 x5

Pull-ups

4 sets of 5.

Easy.

Still sick as a pigeon.

Month 1 Week 3 Day 2

Deadlift

Foamrolling

Warm-up sets

Work sets

92.5kg x 5
    105kg x 3
    117.5kg x 1 + 2

Boring But Big

50kg x 10 x 5

Tear-inducing.

Month 1 Week 3 Day 3

Bench Press

Warm-up sets

Work sets

60kg x 5
    67.5kg x 3
    75kg x 1 + 3

Boring But Big

32.5kg x 10 x 5

Dumbell Row

22kg x 10 x 5

Month 1 Week 3 Day 4

Squat

Foam rolling

Warm-up sets

Work sets

92.5kg x 5
    105kg x 3
    117.5kg x 1 + 3

Boring but Big

50kg x 10 x 5

No assistance due to time constraints.

So that's the first working month down now, hopefully I'll run the program for another few months to see if I can make gradual progression on my main lifts.

I decided to skip the deload week for the first cycle, I started off very low and rarely felt sore or in particular need of recovery the day after.

Cycle 2 Week 1 Day 1

Press

Warm-up set

Work sets

37.5kg x 5
    42.5kg x 5
    47.5kg x 5

This was tough, I'd a few bottles last night and not the best night's sleep.

Boring But Big

25kg x 10 x 5

Pull-ups

5 sets of 5

Cycle 2 Week 1 Day 2

Deadlift

Foam-rolling

Work sets

85kg x 5
    97.5kg x 5
    110kg x 5

Boring But Big

52.5kg x 10 x 5

Cycle 2 Week 1 Day 3

Bench Press

Warm-up

Work-sets

52.5kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    70kg x 5 + 2

Boring But Big

35kg x 10 x 5

Dumbell Row

24kg x 10 x 5

I hate rows. Must now attend all-you-can-eat for comfort munching.

Cycle 2 Week 1 Day 4

Squat

Stretching

Foam-rolling

Warm-up

Work-sets

85kg x 5
    97.5kg x 5
    110kg x 5 + 2

Boring but Big

52.5kg x 10 x 5

Leg Curl

32.5kg x 10 x 3

Grand session, met a few lads from work inside there so spent more time than I'd like to yakking but otherwise not too bad. I'm trying not to get tempted to increase the weight to soon.

Merciful hour, a tough workout. Was up for the match yesterday (hup the rebels!) and had to go straight into work after coming back from Dublin. Up at the crack again today for school, got about 7 hours sleep in two days. Was wrecked today and the gym was rammed full of youngfellas (start of college) swinging off bars pretending to be exercising. Still, got the necessary sh*t done.

Cycle 2 Week 2 Day 1

Overhead Press

Warm-up

Work-sets

40kg x 3
    45kg x 3
    50kg x 3

F*cking brutality.

Boring But Big

25kg x 10 x 5

Pull-ups
    5 x 5

Gym was rammed to death, bloody students making the effort to better themselves. The nerve. Didn't have time for 5 sets of boring but big while working in with 4 other people on the only lifting platform. F*ck my life.

Cycle 2 Week 2 Day 2

Deadlift

Warm-up plus foam rolling

Work sets

90kg x 3
    105kg x 3
    117.5kg x 3

60kg x 10
    60kg x 10

Home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Don't mind the platform when it's like that.

Between the smith and one of the incline benches theres enough space for a barbell if you face the little fence thing.

Don't mind the platform when it's like that.

Between the smith and one of the incline benches theres enough space for a barbell if you face the little fence thing.

Ha, some resourceful swine was there doing lunges! I'll just have to get back to my morning workouts I think, although that's hard when you've been up half the night dealing with screaming students.

Ha, some resourceful swine was there doing lunges! I'll just have to get back to my morning workouts I think, although that's hard when you've been up half the night dealing with screaming students.

go into one of the racks and move the floor.

go into one of the racks and move the floor.

Yeah, I've had to do that before a few times. Have you been in there recently? At this time of the year the place is rammed to the gills, you'd be waiting for half an hour to get near a piece of equipment sometimes. And to top it all two thirds of the weights gym is shut off as usual. The Mardyke is a pain in the hole but at least it's free.

Yeah, I've had to do that before a few times. Have you been in there recently? At this time of the year the place is rammed to the gills, you'd be waiting for half an hour to get near a piece of equipment sometimes. And to top it all two thirds of the weights gym is shut off as usual. The Mardyke is a pain in the hole but at least it's free.

havn't trained there in ages, i found going in around nine-ish training till close and then running to the showers worked.

Cycle 2 Week 2 Day 3

Bench Press

Warm-up

Work sets

57.5kg x 3
    65kg x 3
    75kg x 3 + 1

Boring but Big

35kg x 10 x 5

Dumbell Rows

24kg x 10 x 5

I'm weak as p*ss. Gassed after the bench , I remember I could bench 75kg 5 x5 and now I'm struggling to do 5 reps. Then again I was a stone heavier and eating like a horse.

Right, f*ck this. I'm down a full stone from six months ago, the other day I struggled to lift 75kg for 4 reps, I did that 5x5 no bother half a year back. It's time to get strong again, Aldi shall be visited tomorrow and bulking goods will be purchased. Dying with a cold (again) but hitting the gym this evening, no excuses, going to bang the stronglifts for a few weeks and toughen up a small bit.

Oh Christ the pain. Since I've lost a full stone and am again feeling weak as a kitten I reverted to my previously succesful strategy: 5 x 5 and eat like a pig. Unfortunately it seems I'll be starting from square one.

Squat
    92.5kg 5 x 5

Legs were screaming at the last two sets, my inner thighs are destroyed. Couldn't even bend over in work to pick things up.

Bench
    65kg 5 x 5

Pathetic.

Elevated Inverted Rows
    1x9 1x8 1x7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

i was told that the high performance area is actually open to anyone at certain times during the week/weekends but i haven't been able to find out what times! 4 platforms, 2 eleiko bars, bumper plates, two GHRs... 3 cages...

oh and dyou wanna join my oly lifting club?! :D

• Advertisement

Parsley wrote: »
    i was told that the high performance area is actually open to anyone at certain times during the week/weekends but i haven't been able to find out what times! 4 platforms, 2 eleiko bars, bumper plates, two GHRs... 3 cages...

oh and dyou wanna join my oly lifting club?! :D

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to suscribe to your newsletter.

The times are posted up next to the gate, however the gaff's only open off-peak for periods an hour or two long. F*cking disgrace to be honest, considering nobody's hardly ever in the place. Your club would probably get to use it would they?

Advertisement