Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess the camera body?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Fenster wrote: »
    If the camera is what I think it is, it might work out as great advertising for NASA:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Expedition_22_Reflections.jpg

it doesnt look like any Canon lens I know ..... (cant see the camera - only the front element of the lens)

so...looks like Nikon have won the space race.

EDIT: Nikon Lens (from reversing the pic and reading the front)

EDIT: For once I like a picture with someone pointing the camera at themselves (so many of this style of photo on facebook - people are afraid to give their P&S to someone to do a pic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

AFAIK, NASA do use Nikons. I'd assume it's the D3 if it was taken recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Fajitas! wrote: »
    AFAIK, NASA do use Nikons. I'd assume it's the D3 if it was taken recently.

And dont Nikon also do a variety of tools NASA may use too? I know my husband used Nikon tools in Intel labs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

EXIF tags in 'c27ca04479pola_0.jpg.jpg' ('Intel' byte order):
    --------------------+----------------------------------------------------------
    Tag                 |Value                                                     
    Manufacturer        |NIKON CORPORATION                                         
    Model               |NIKON D3                                                  
    Orientation         |                                                          
    x-Resolution        |0.03                                                      
    y-Resolution        |0.03                                                      
    Resolution Unit     |Inch                                                      
    Software            |Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows                               
    Date and Time       |2010:02:19 09:59:23                                       
    Compression         |JPEG compression                                          
    x-Resolution        |300.00                                                    
    y-Resolution        |300.00                                                    
    Exposure Time       |1/400 sec.                                                
    FNumber             |f/6.3                                                     
    Exposure Program    |Aperture priority                                         
    ISO Speed Ratings   |200                                                       
    Exif Version        |Exif Version 2.21                                         
    Date and Time (origi|2010:02:19 05:49:44                                       
    Date and Time (digit|2010:02:19 05:49:44                                       
    Shutter speed       |8.64 EV (APEX: 19, 1/399 sec.)                            
    Aperture            |5.31 EV (f/6.3)                                           
    Exposure Bias       |0.00 EV                                                   
    MaxApertureValue    |4.30 EV (f/4.4)                                           
    Metering Mode       |Pattern                                                   
    Light Source        |0                                                         
    Flash               |Flash did not fire.                                       
    Focal Length        |80.0 mm                                                   
    SubsecTime          |97                                                        
    SubSecTimeOriginal  |97                                                        
    SubSecTimeDigitized |97                                                        
    Color Space         |sRGB                                                      
    PixelXDimension     |4256                                                      
    PixelYDimension     |2913                                                      
    Sensing Method      |One-chip color area sensor                                
    File Source         |DSC                                                       
    Scene Type          |1                                                         
    CFA Pattern         |8 bytes undefined data                                    
    Custom Rendered     |Normal process                                            
    Exposure Mode       |Auto exposure                                             
    White Balance       |Auto white balance                                        
    Digital Zoom Ratio  |1.00                                                      
    Focal Length In 35mm|80                                                        
    Scene Capture Type  |Standard                                                  
    Gain Control        |Normal                                                    
    Contrast            |Normal                                                    
    Saturation          |Normal                                                    
    Sharpness           |Normal                                                    
    Subject Distance Ran|Unknown                                                   
    EXIF data contains a thumbnail (6391 bytes).

• Advertisement

And dont Nikon also do a variety of tools NASA may use too? I know my husband used Nikon tools in Intel labs.

I heard they both use the biggest Canon's they can get their hands on...

EXIF tags in 'c27ca04479pola_0.jpg.jpg' ('Intel' byte order):
    Tag                 |Value                                                     
    Manufacturer        |NIKON CORPORATION                                         
    Model               |NIKON D3                                                  
    Orientation         |                                                          
    x-Resolution        |0.03                                                      
    y-Resolution        |0.03                                                      
    Software            |Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows                               
    Date and Time       |2010:02:19 09:59:23                                       
    Compression         |JPEG compression                                          
    x-Resolution        |300.00                                                    
    y-Resolution        |300.00                                                    
    Exposure Time       |1/400 sec.                                                
    FNumber             |f/6.3                                                     
    Exposure Program    |Aperture priority                                         
    ISO Speed Ratings   |200                                                       
    Exif Version        |Exif Version 2.21                                         
    Date and Time (origi|2010:02:19 05:49:44                                       
    Date and Time (digit|2010:02:19 05:49:44                                       
    Shutter speed       |8.64 EV (APEX: 19, 1/399 sec.)                            
    Aperture            |5.31 EV (f/6.3)                                           
    Exposure Bias       |0.00 EV                                                   
    MaxApertureValue    |4.30 EV (f/4.4)                                           
    Metering Mode       |Pattern                                                   
    Light Source        |0                                                         
    Flash               |Flash did not fire.                                       
    Focal Length        |80.0 mm                                                   
    SubsecTime          |97                                                        
    SubSecTimeOriginal  |97                                                        
    SubSecTimeDigitized |97                                                        
    Color Space         |sRGB                                                      
    PixelXDimension     |4256                                                      
    PixelYDimension     |2913                                                      
    Sensing Method      |One-chip color area sensor                                
    File Source         |DSC                                                       
    Scene Type          |1                                                         
    CFA Pattern         |8 bytes undefined data                                    
    Custom Rendered     |Normal process                                            
    Exposure Mode       |Auto exposure                                             
    White Balance       |Auto white balance                                        
    Digital Zoom Ratio  |1.00                                                      
    Focal Length In 35mm|80                                                        
    Scene Capture Type  |Standard                                                  
    Gain Control        |Normal                                                    
    Contrast            |Normal                                                    
    Saturation          |Normal                                                    
    Sharpness           |Normal                                                    
    Subject Distance Ran|Unknown                                                   
    EXIF data contains a thumbnail (6391 bytes).

Way too much time on your hands.

I heard they both use the biggest Canon's they can get their hands on...

lo, I didnt mean that kind of lab, clean room labs where they wear things that look like space suits.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

there was some nasa custom nikon kit on ebay recently for 20k i think, was a d200 with some casing and some lens with casing too, looks stupid, those gloves make it hard to select settings.

Maybe he shot on full-auto? :D

• Advertisement

lo, I didnt mean that kind of lab, clean room labs where they wear things that look like space suits.

It's not a lab... it's a photocopier :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

They used to use Hasselblad cameras, I wonder was it budget cuts that meant they had to switch to nikon

I think it was just a matter of progression in technology and the fact that you were going to get more photos out of a 35mm camera over 120. And then there's the size/weight issue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Maybe he shot on full-auto? :D

Exposure Program |Aperture priority

They used to use Hasselblad cameras, I wonder was it budget cuts that meant they had to switch to nikon

It was a question of convenience more than anything else, I think. AFAIK Hasselblad still fly on the shuttle, although they've gone digital with those too.

EDIT: It doesn't fly on the shuttle, sorry. There's one Hasselblad on the ISS, but it seems to be a not-worth-mentioning kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Looks like it's one of the D2X's delivered in 2008. The D3S order was only reported in Dec 2009, and the photos taken Jan 2010.

Here's another one taken in Jan with the same full resolution but D2X exif included:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ISS_Oleg_Kotov_Spacewalk_Jan10.jpg

Confused by that exif readout fenster for c27ca04479pola_0.jpg at 4256 x 2913, where the orginal is Expedition_22_Reflections.jpg at 4288 × 2849...

democrates wrote: »
    Confused by that exif readout fenster for c27ca04479pola_0.jpg at 4256 x 2913, where the orginal is Expedition_22_Reflections.jpg at 4288 × 2849...

moonlanding a fake... now this!!!!!

democrates wrote: »
    Looks like it's one of the D2X's delivered in 2008. The D3S order was only reported in Dec 2009, and the photos taken Jan 2010.

Here's another one taken in Jan with the same full resolution but D2X exif included:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ISS_Oleg_Kotov_Spacewalk_Jan10.jpg

I was using the EXIF from the first photo in this article. Dates from the last shuttle expedition (which was when the cupola was installed and the above spacewalk took place). I made some deductions because I know from the photo that the D3 was on the ISS in that time frame.

It's not a lab... it's a photocopier :(

lol, photocopier / printer I thought you were referring to print lab.

I think I'm in dumb mode today since my printer is fighting with me too.:o

I was using the EXIF from the first photo in this article. Dates from the last shuttle expedition (which was when the cupola was installed and the above spacewalk took place). I made some deductions because I know from the photo that the D3 was on the ISS in that time frame.
    In fairness I was left guessing by the wiki link too.

In any event solved, here's the original:
    http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-22/html/iss022e025518.html

Nikon D2Xs.

For anyone interested, bottom of page http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Expedition_22_Reflections.jpg shows an earlier version of the image was uploaded, being uncropped it retains the NASA identifier iss022e025518, google gets the page for the original with exif intact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Needs more PP.

+1 a 3d tone-mapped hdr would rock, it's too flat and hasn't enough colours.:D

I wonder how well an R72 filter would work out...

Advertisement