Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Internet

Options
  • 03-03-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Has anyone used this? someone has asked me to look into it for them. as the call deal with the broadband is good. They have eircom(calls more expensive) at the moment 3mb line, but after 6pm speeds can drop. I rang UTV but they said they cannot gaurantee 3mb. The problem they have a system that the Internet is plugged into and the line would ideally need to be always over 1.5mb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 3D

When I last looked at their packages the Caps were low so that put me off - have you considered BT or as it is now Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I've been using UTV calls & internet for about 5 years, and it's never let me down.
    3mb is fairly stable, and the unlimited download price is well worth it.
    The free national & UK calls only kicks in off-peak (after 6pm & w/e), but that suits me.

What deal are they thinking of getting, and nosey as to why they need 1.5mb all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Had a guy around to the house a few days ago selling UTV broadband. I signed up for the 7mb broadband with the free calls in the evening for €44 all in which seems pretty good. Hopefully the broadband is reliable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

I have had UTV Internet for years now too - I pay extra for the unlimited download and for the all day free UK & Irish calls - 5.99 and 6.99 respectively. I think it's good value overall and the customer service is mostly very good. I can only get just over 2Mb download because of my line, but I'm on the 3Mb package as that's the lowest.
    Maybe the only one downside to UTV is that even when your contract period is up, there is still a charge (29.99) to leave. On another note, if you have a look at the Vodafone forum here on Boards, it looks to me like there is no point in considering them as an ISP until they clean up their act after taking over from BT. Soooo many complaints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

lamai wrote: »
    Has anyone used this? someone has asked me to look into it for them. as the call deal with the broadband is good. They have eircom(calls more expensive) at the moment 3mb line, but after 6pm speeds can drop. I rang UTV but they said they cannot gaurantee 3mb. The problem they have a system that the Internet is plugged into and the line would ideally need to be always over 1.5mb

Just wanted to add here re the evening speeds - if they are already dropping with Eircom there's a good chance the same will happen with any other provider, as they're all Eircom resellers :( Have a look over at the Broadband forum for more information and loads of experts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I thought UTV had stopped the BB service but there you go, you learn something new every day.

If its of any benefit to others Im on a 7mb package with Vodafone which includes all day Ireland & UK calls, line rental, 200 free minutes/month to 3 nominated 087 numbers and a 60GB download cap. Cost is €52 per month which I consider good value. Download speeds are normally around 6mb.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Just another note on this i was concidering changing my provider too, because i had been very close to the download limit with eircom (max my line supports is 1.5G speed) of 10GB or is it MB i can never remember:p, but anyways to cut a long story short in janurary i was 1Gb over my download limit according to the eircom support website (where you check where your monthly useage is) and phoned them thinking balls they will be looking to charge me a fortune for going over, i got a nice man (only time that ever happened phoning them) and he told me they have that wrote into the contract but it has never been applied, i was confused so asked him out of curiousity that if i went to 30GB in one month would i get charged even though my limit is 10 he said no as long as its not every month, but if it was then they issue a usege warning, although i could go over it every month as long as its not madly over they dont mind, he then procedded to say he shouldn't have told me, but im not complaining :D My advice if getting eircom in is go for the basic broadband package instead of paying more for a package with a bigger download limit, as they dont charge for going over like most other companies (but beware it is in the contract so just incase they do imply it any time soon) but lets keep this to us Donegal folk ;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Regarding Eircom not charging for going over, it's quite well known over on the Broadband forum.

Anyway, back on topic, I also have UTV Broadband, and relatively happy with it. I also pay the extra few quid for the "capless" product.

Generally, the service is quite good, just occasional DNS problems usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

byte wrote: »
    Regarding Eircom not charging for going over, it's quite well known over on the Broadband forum.....

oops its not a place i frequent, jebus did i just say frequent! And i felt privilaged to be knowing that, i should have known better:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

byte wrote: »
    Anyway, back on topic, I also have UTV Broadband, and relatively happy with it. I also pay the extra few quid for the "capless" product.

Generally, the service is quite good, just occasional DNS problems usually.

What package are you on and what's the occasional problems that you get? I'm waiting to get connected up to the 7mb package which will probably be a few weeks yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No harm to UTV but its sad to see that they (or an agent) have to resort to using an account to shill their products/services here. The post has been removed and the account banned.

Advertisement