Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospitals hiring debt collection agencies

Options
  • 03-03-2010 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing as me, bit of a long story but sure I'll tell it anyway.

I was admitted to a Dublin hospital a few months ago and due to the seriousness of my illness, I remained there for 2 weeks. My VHI covered all the expenses.

On leaving the hospital I got a letter from the hospital telling me I owed them money for accident and emergency costs. I rang them and told them that they were mistaken and my insurance had covered everything. They acknowledged the mistake and told me everything was fine.

I then got another letter from the hospital and I did the same as before. Again, they told me it would be sorted out.

A month later I received a letter from a debt collection agency telling me that they were now responsible for collecting the debt owed to the hospital and it could be 'very embarrassing' for me if I didn't pay them.

I, once again, rang the hospital and they told me that it was out of their hands now (!!) and I'd have to deal with the collection agency.

I should add that I was still at home recovering from my surgery during this time.

The following day I got a knock at my door from a debt collector, he identifed himself as working for a company (which I don't want to name here) who had taken on my 'debt' owed to the hospital - the same one that I'd gotten the letter from. I explained to him the mix up but he told me that he wasn't going to leave until he was paid. I tried to close the door but he became quite aggressive and he physically put himself IN the door to prevent me from doing so.

I had to ring the hospital with him standing there, explain to them the mistake which they once again acknowledged and hand the phone to him so that they could speak to him. After speaking to the hospital he promptly left, but I was freaked out at the whole experience.

Has this happened to anyone else?? Surely it's unethical to firstly send a debt collector to a recovering patient's house, never mind the fact that I should never have been contacted in the first place! I understand that hospitals need to recoup monies owed to them, but to have hired a debt collection agency who seem like a nasty bunch to do the work for them is outrageous.

I'm disgusted.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Take a court action for harrassment against the hospital and its management. This skank they sent was their agent and they are liable for the thugs behaviour. Generally speaking the hospital will settle generously on the steps of the court rather than let their managers take the witness stand.

I take it you have PROOF ( itemised bills) that you rang them. That is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

You should have called your VHI and asked them to send the hosp confirmation that the debt had been paid from the get go.. And have copies to state this for yourself which you could have sent to the agency after ur first letter!

Also call the Debt company and complain.. Write a letter as well..
    Id be pretty sure that these agencies have no rights to enter your premises without permission..(open to be proven wrong)

Obv its a horrible situation.. I know when i was living in america i was in a similar situation.. Didnt pay a hosp bill and it was handed to a debt collection agency.. I promptly moved out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

a lot of businesses need to employ debt collection agencies and the agencies get a percentage of the fee (which makes them boarderline as regards the limits of the law).

if I was in your position I would have phoned the gardai first to remove the unwanted tresspasser at your door - you felt threatened by him and in fear for your life - he was refusing to leave.

once they arrived I would have let him contact the hospital and I would have demanded an apology (possibly a written apology from the debt collector) ..... these debt collection agencies need to check and double check they actually have a debt to collect - wrongfully accusing you of being in debt could land them in court for slander as they stated in their letter - they will make it embarrassing for you.

Have dropped you a PM on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have recieved a bill for 100e from a well--known Dublin hospital for A&E fees. I was under the impression VHI would cover this or am I mistaken?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

noodler wrote: »
    I have recieved a bill for 100e from a well--known Dublin hospital for A&E fees. I was under the impression VHI would cover this or am I mistaken?

I'd imagine it would depend on your policy,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I got a letter from Intirum Justica about a debt to Tallaght Hospital. Now, as a regular on boards, I know they have no power whatsoever in this country, but I was annoyed as I owe nothing to anyone. (except a million to Bank of Scotland Ireland:D)

I went into the accounts office of the hospital and explained Quinn should be covering it. I rang quinn from the accounts office and had to tell them I was covered, they said I wasnt. I pointed out I was covered for over 8 years and suddenly they noticed I was covered and paid up.

Tell the debt collector to feck off. They have no power here and sort out your debt with the hospital. If someone tried to muscle their way in my front door, defend yourself, you are entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If he physically intruded into your residence or property, then you should report him to the Gardaí.

Contact the hospital and request written document that you do not owe them any money. Send a copy of this via registered post to the agency and to the director of Finance in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

hmmmm, could this be the rare occasion where Joe Duffy would actually be a good idea as in fairness, you don't go collecting debts with people sick and be aggressive about it when they are also in the wrong?
    And Gardai should be called if anyone gets aggressive when you know you are in the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I always wonder about these crooks debt collectors , can they seriously show up on your door and demand payment and refuse to leave or else? I mean or else what they assault you sit outside and harass you ? Tell your neighbours you owe money :eek: Maybe I'm being naive here but what can they do without you getting them arrested :confused:

Have they any power under the law? Or must they take you to a court of law to get any pennies off you? It's not like they can take any of your belongings, I thought only a sheriff could do that.

As an aside , the bigger crooks here are the government, why are we still paying prsi and taxes only to be charged by hospitals for treatment....... I know I know in an ideal world and all that ..... any way end of rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Hi OP,
    I've a legal background here and you would be well within your rights to take a case based on a breach of your constutional right to inviobility of the dwelling. Constitutional rights are taken very seriously by courts, as are breaches of same. You could also take an action based on the fact that you have been harassed, thus preventing you from going about your lawful business.
    I would write a letter to the hospital and the debt collection agency. The letter should state, simply and clearly, what took place and giving them 28 days to reply to you stating what remedy they will offer you. Keep a copy, send them by registered post so they can't say they didn't receive it and proceed from there.

Edit: Article 40.1 says you won't be deprived of personal liberty, save in accordance with the law and 40.5 states rights re inviobility FYI!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The following day I got a knock at my door from a debt collector, he identifed himself as working for a company (which I don't want to name here) who had taken on my 'debt' owed to the hospital - the same one that I'd gotten the letter from. I explained to him the mix up but he told me that he wasn't going to leave until he was paid. I tried to close the door but he became quite aggressive and he physically put himself IN the door to prevent me from doing so.
    over this i would now immediately call the guards and make a statement about this and possibly get this thug arrested, then do as stated above by lazygal and write to the hospital and company by registered post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Elessar

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64450869&postcount=74

You should have phoned the police instead of the hospital that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

"Pay you bill or we'll send the boys around to break you legs, which you are being billed for in the first place"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Had 3 visits to A & E over last 10 years and never received one bill. Rang one time and asked to pay. Gave name address etc.. "dont have you on file so we cant charge you etc "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 WayaWaya

Got referred to St. James last November by my GP. I got there on a Friday morning and was kept till the following Sunday afternoon. In January I get a first and final letter from the hosi saying that I owe them 150.00 and that if I choose to ignore the letter they will dept collectors.

A week later I get another letter from the intrisium people saying I have to pay 160.00 to avoid any embarrassment and that they will come to my place bla bla bla. I got VHI to sort it out. Was shocked to say the least:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It is shocking that a hospital would employ any agency that would use heavy handed or threatening behavior to recoup a debt. We are not talking about people who went mad and had an irresponsible splurge here and ended up in debt here like.

I agree with an earlier post that suggested that someone who has got one of these letters make it a public issue. The Pat Kenny radio show will usually take up an issue if you alert them to it without you having to tell your story or be named on the radio. You should scan or take a picture of the letter you received from the debt collection agency and email your story to them OP.

I know it's a huge hassle when your sick to think of doing that but at least in your situation your debt is going to be taken care of. It would be a terrible if this were to happen to an old sick person or a person who has recently discovered they're seriously ill and cannot pay their bill.

Hope you get well soon and sorry to hear of you having such a horrible experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Had 3 visits to A & E over last 10 years and never received one bill. Rang one time and asked to pay. Gave name address etc.. "dont have you on file so we cant charge you etc "

Did you have to stay in overnight?

My wife had a visit about a year ago but didn't have to stay overnight (although it was 10 hours before she was seen, at 4 am!!)
    We haven't seen sign of a bill since.
    I think it only costs if you stay there overnight.

Advertisement