Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refreeze frozen pastry

Options
  • 03-03-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Since my beef and guinness pie pastry doesn't taste quite as nice once it's been defrosted and heated up in the microwave, I think I'm going to go a different route the next time. I'll just make the filling as normal, and then freee it in batches. Then when it comes time to eat it, I'll make a small individual pie using jus-roll pastry and the defrosted meat filling. Pop it in the oven for 30mins and I have freshly baked pie. Mmm.

The only part of this I'm not so sure about would be the pastry. I'd need to defrost the jus-roll stuff, so that I could divvy it up and the refreeze it to use as required. Would this be ok? I assume refreezing thawed pastry is not as potentially life threatening as refreezing thawed meat?

Do I even need to refreeze it, if I plan on using all the pastry within say 2-3 weeks of the initial defrosting? Or is it possible to get smaller individual pastry casings?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd buy the block rather than the roll of frozen pastry, and cut it into smaller blocks (I have a Miracle Blade knife that cuts frozen food). I'm not sure about refreezing pastry and as far as I know it needs to be used within 24 hours of defrosting.
    If it didn't have to be puff pastry, you could make your own shortcrust pastry which is much lower in fat, and freeze it in individual portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I'd buy the block rather than the roll of frozen pastry
    Tks for the reply DB, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'buy the block'? Assuming it's a block of frozen puff pastry, is this something they sell in supermarkets?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, you can usually buy it in one big lump as well as the sheets, although not all shops necessarily stock all types.

I'd echo the advice though to just make your own and freeze it in suitably sized pieces yourself. If you roll it out in to roughly the right sized rounds and freeze individually, they'll not take long to thaw. If you have a food processor you can knock up a good batch of shortcrust pastry in literally 2 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I always buy the block because you get a lot more in it and can roll it out to whatever thickness you want. Plus, it seems to have a better texture.

You can't beat home made shortcrust pastry on a pie though..

Advertisement