Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Burgo wrote: »
    It's only that cheap due to the fact its awful.
    http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/operationflashpointdragonrising

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nirnias

I emailed Steam about this a few weeks back and this is the responce i got back.. Which if you it doesnt actually answer my question properly.

"Hello Stephen, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Currently, the Steam Support Team provides support for technical issues only. We appreciate your feedback regarding the pricing in Steam. Being able to accept multiple currencies through Steam has been a feature that many of our users have been waiting for. We are always working with publishers to adjust prices to be in line with what you would find at local retailers and online shops. We are unable to allow users to purchase in other currencies that are not already listed on your local Steam Store. If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you. "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Nirnias wrote: »
    I emailed Steam about this a few weeks back and this is the responce i got back.. Which if you it doesnt actually answer my question properly.

"Hello Stephen, Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Currently, the Steam Support Team provides support for technical issues only. We appreciate your feedback regarding the pricing in Steam. Being able to accept multiple currencies through Steam has been a feature that many of our users have been waiting for. We are always working with publishers to adjust prices to be in line with what you would find at local retailers and online shops. We are unable to allow users to purchase in other currencies that are not already listed on your local Steam Store. If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you. "

Look familiar?
    They sent me the exact ssame thing about 10 months ago

"Hello Brian,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the pricing in Steam. Being able to accept multiple currencies through Steam has been a feature that many of our users have been waiting for.

Since it is a new feature we will be working with publishers to adjust prices to be in line with what you would find at local retailers and online shops.

Thank you for your patience. "

I accused them of dodging the question, asked them for forward it to someone who can deal with my problem and they closed the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Since it is a new feature we will be working with publishers to adjust prices to be in line with what you would find at local retailers and online shops.

They did answer it. Ie; publisher says sell at this price in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nirnias

Ah yeh but there is a bit of a difference in buying it on Steam for 50 euro, waiting for it to download and update.. And going down to your local Smyths or something and getting the same game for 20-25 euro less.

I never emailed them back but i had the same feeling that they dodged my question. unfortunatly i could not find the email i sent to them originally.

Ill just continue to buy my stuff in retail i suppose. Until digital downloads come in line with retail prices i will be staying away from it, unless its on sale on Steam or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

while i agree with a lot of what has been said about wierd steam pricing i still really like it. there are great deals to be had if you wait for the special offers and it is so easy to download a demo and try the game first.

one thing no one mentioned is the fact that the ammount of games available on steam is far superior to any normal or online shop. HMV/Game etc have a tiny range of pc games compared to steam. it is so simple to find what you want on steam even if the game is 5 yeas old.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

one other thing OP,

a common sight in game shops is a game + expansion for 34.99, and the expansion alone for 44.99. It has happened a few times that i have given games to friends because i wanted to exapnsion and it worked out cheaper to buy it in a box set.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Overheal wrote: »

Not to drag this off-topic, but bloody hell those reviews are demented. I mean, that game is awful, and believe me I'll play any aul sh*te once I've paid for it, but... Yikes. I'll never trust a score aggregator again.

€6.99 is a very good price for it, but it's worth noting that game has plummeted in price in bricks-and-mortar stores too - if not to the same extent - and it's still not really selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Polar101 wrote: »
    If I can get what I want from Steam right away, I think €5 or €10 extra can be good value for that.
    As long as there are enough people like you, who are willing to pay 25% extra for something which costs at least 25% less to produce, then the prices won't be going down anytime soon.

Valve, I salute you. Somehow you've convinced enough people that € = $ and that the costs of hosting the game data somehow exceeds that of the manufacturing and distribution costs associated with physical media.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Yup exactly, when people blindly pay for a rip off service then it wont change.
    As others have pointed out, some people are willing to pay the extra 25% (or whatever it is) for the accessability that Steam offers. No discs to look after, no worries of losing it, being able to download it to any pc etc...Fair enough, if you dont want to pay the extra 25%, then dont. But i often get games from them as its just so much easier.

I've said it before, i'll probably say it again. I love Valve/Steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

On the flip side you are paying an extra 25% for no discs or manual (which should mean its cheaper due to no manufacturing or shipping)

True, it should be cheaper.
    , you are limited to one PC (so you cant have it on multiple PC`s that you own),

Not True, you can have it on as many pcs as you like afaik, (I have TF2 installed on 3 anyways) you just cant be logged into to steam from two places at the one time though.
    you have to wait for it to download (sometimes with big releases you can be waiting up to 48hrs) and if steam goes belly up you will be stuck with nothing.

Not really True, the vast majority of big releases will let you pre-install it
    That does sound tempting alright.

It is :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I can then do whatever I want with them
    QFT. At least with physical media, you can play it and sell/pass it on. Whereas with Steam, the data is assigned to you alone.

Advertisement