Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red light on boiler and no heat

• 03-03-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hey. I went home last night, and straight away turned on the boiler cause it was cold. The light flashed green for a while, and then turned red. There was then no heat in the house. Has anyone else seen this on their boiler before?

I assumed it was an outstanding bill from Bord Gais. I was livid, cause I thought it was too small a bill to cut someones gas off, as it turned out its not them, they say there should still be gas going to the house.

The recommended resetting it, if it still doesnt work they think there might not be a strong enough supply of gas to the house. Has anyone else seen this on their boiler before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

it could be anything from low water pressure to your pilot light not igniting. you have to post up make and model of the boiler before anyone can answer you with any degree of accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

crap, Im not at home Martron. Ill get the model make and number and post up later on.
    Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Take a picture of the display at the front I am guessing low water pressure.

no bother. you better off posting all the information you know here as the devil is always in the details.

I beat joey for once !!!!!!

Martron wrote: »
    no bother. you better off posting all the information you know here as the devil is always in the details.

I beat joey for once !!!!!!

Ill do that. It might be as you say the water pressure. It comes off the mains into the kitchen extension. Ill see if I have the mains water turned up to the max

• Advertisement

dont touch the water yet until you know what it is. you could over pressure the system then. post a picture of the front of you boiler as joey said.

If in fact that it is low water pressure and the boiler is fed from the mains. you will only need to fill the system up until the pressure required. usually on the front of the boiler somewhere.

dont just crank open the water. !!!!

Dont touch the water pressure.....

Martron wrote: »
    dont just crank open the water. !!!!
    Dont touch the water pressure.....

Soo....do, no wait, don't increase the water pressure. I'm kidding :D
    I will not touch the water pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Soo....do, no wait, don't increase the water pressure. I'm kidding :D
    I will not touch the water pressure.

Could also be the little fan located at the top of the boiler(behind cover), if this is sticking or not providing enough air you will get the same symptoms.

Its a Vokera mynute 24m boiler. Its a flashing red light. That ring any bells?

• Advertisement

Estimated at pressure or PCB

is there a pressure gauge on the front? can you here a pump or fan working when you reset it?

going through other forums they dont rate this boiler very highly. was there a flashing yellow light previously

basically reading from other forums there is a pressure gauge behind the front panel. the orange light lights up if the pressure drops below 1 bar. then red light show when lockout fault is activated.

so you need to remove the front cover to find the pressure gauge and read it.

only then can you say its low pressure or even rule it out.

if you dont feel comfortable with this. dont do it. get a pro in.

Theres a pressure guague on the front of the boiler. Its not even at 1. I feel a bit goofy for not noticing that before. Is that water pressure?

my boiler says that normal operating pressure is between 0.5 and 1.5 . so uless its at 0.2. i dont think its something to worry about. what is the exact reading?

Most boilers operate between 1 and 2 bar but I have seen them kick in at 0.5 bar. It all depends.

Sorry guys, I left the house to stay in my sisters. Cause of the cold. Ill check that tomorrow and let ye know, I think it was right down at the bottom tho

The gauge is right down below 0 guys. It either has no pressure or the gauge stoped working. And the light has now changed to a solid red light. It does the flashing green thing for a while, then turns into a solid red one.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

It sounds like you just need to bring the
    pressure up to 1 bar. 1 is perfect you
    don't need it any higher. Once you do this
    it should fire when you reset it. You don't
    need to remove the cover to see the gauge.

• Advertisement

well i am sure one of the more experienced plumber guys could talk you through it. if it was my own boiler i would give it a shiot but i dont want to miss a step and ultimately f-ing up your boiler

thanks guys. It was a recently enough installed boiler so I think the installer will be able to come back and do it. Is this work that needs to be done on the boiler only? Will he need to increase the water pressure from outside or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

No, it should be a case of just pressurizing the heating system.
    There should be some sort of filling loop fitted somewhere convenient.
    If its only recently installed it probably shouldn't have lost it's
    pressure already. But sure just see what the installer says.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭antopanto

Its a Vokera mynute 24m boiler. Its a flashing red light. That ring any bells?

I have no pressure in my system. As per the manual there should be a yoke under the boiler, but the pipes go straight into the wall. I have checked the attic and the airing cubboard, and there is no sign of a yoke for re pressurising the yoke to 1.5 bar.

any ideas?

Hey Anto. Im not sure what the name of the thing is, you turn clockwise to tighten it, and the water supply turns off, you turn it anticlockwise to loosen it, and the water supply turns on. nyways, Im going to call them valves for the minute.

In the end my brother found what was wrong with mine. There are a couple of valves beside the cylinder in the hot press upstairs. He just turned a couple of them, and now its fine. There were closed, they should have been open.

The only problem is now my pressure is up to 3.5, I need to figure out which valves to tighten to bring it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bobsduncle

hi,
    just read your post re vokera mynute 24m not working. i am now in same boat. and timing is wonderful! i think my problem could be water pressure, and i wonder if yours was the same.? but there a number a valves in hot press so not sure what to do. and if anyone has any ideas i would be very grateful. cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

With the Vokera, when it trips, you read the two digit error code on the front of the panel and then refer to the operating manual. This will give you some idea of what the problem is (rather that going off on a wild goose chace).

It's also worth re-setting the boiler to see if it clears the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bobsduncle

thanks for posting.
    cannot see any error code. the boiler works but very little heat going to rads. the pressure bar is at 0 so i need to get that back 1+, but no idea how.
    it's my brother's house and he is away. but it should be easy enough to get pressure back up to 1+. shouldn't it? lol!

Advertisement