Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meat tenderiser?

Options
  • 03-03-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm looking for meat tenderiser. The actual tenderiser with enzymes and whatnot in it, not just some "tenderising marinade". It's not actually just for cooking purposes, hence why I'm being so specific.

If anyone could tell me where to go for some, especially in a bricks-and-mortar place within Dublin, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks for reading:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Sorry, not a response, just a question. Would pineapple or papaya juice be suitable for your purposes. Both contain enzymes that will tenderise meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Most Asian shops in Dublin sell this stuff in a packet. Asia Market on Drury St. will definitely have it, on the northside the Oriental Emporium at the Jervis St. LUAS stop would have it too.

I just looked up that Rajah Meat tenderiser - ingredients are listed as salt, modified starch and papain. Papain is a cysteine protease enzyme present in papaya (Who knew!)(Thanks wiki) Anyway the point is, I found papaya used in a Galouti Kebab recipe - used to tenderise the minced lamb in the recipe.

Pineapple contains a proteolytic enzyme bromelain, which breaks down protein (thanks again, wiki). I've used pineapple juice to try and tenderise steak - result is simple, buy a better steak. The juice doesn't penetrate the meat enough to make a difference. Probably why the papain in the minced lamb works - greater surface area; and doesn't work on the beef.

So grated pineapple or papaya added to minced meat changes the texture making the cooked meat feel softer in the mouth.

Ramble over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Kiwifruit has the same enzyme in it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Fantastic ... I came here to ask this very question and it's the first post on the board :)

I'm looking for any tips I can get on tenderising.

I've tried pounding and braising but I can't get the meat as tender as, for example, the beef in a chinese meal ... I guess the enzyme is what I'm missing.

I'll try the Rajah mix ... anyone have any advice on using this?

As regards the pineapple or papaya juice option ... has anyone tried this? How long would it take? How does the meat taste afterwards?

All hints gratefully accepted :)

• Advertisement

Grated unripe papaya is mixed with minced lamb and a dozen other ingredients in the Galouti kebab recipe I mentioned. It's left to develop for 30 minutes before cooking. Taste is fine, mouth feel is much softer than a regular meat rissole.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Minder wrote: »
    I've used pineapple juice to try and tenderise steak - result is simple, buy a better steak.
    Was that juice you made yourself? cause on wiki it says.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromelain#Meat_tenderizing
    Cooked or canned pineapple does not have a tenderizing effect, as the enzymes are heat labile.
    I expect that would include juices, M&S do (or used to do) a 48hr old pineapple juice, I think it is pasteurised though, so still might be no use.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It has to be fresh pineapple. From a juice bar that uses fresh pineapple.

On a related note, you can't make pineapple jelly from fresh pineapple for the same reason

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I'd be interested to hear how you all get on with this stuff. I bought a similar product in the US and it made little or no difference to the meat I cooked.

OK so I finally got around to tracking down the Rajah meat tenderiser product but there's no instructions.

Do I throw a couple of teaspoons into a stew/casserole pot? Or do I put it directly on the meat? Can it be used for steaks? i.e. should I put it on the meat, leave it for a bit, then take it off?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

LittleBook wrote: »
    OK so I finally got around to tracking down the Rajah meat tenderiser product but there's no instructions.

Do I throw a couple of teaspoons into a stew/casserole pot? Or do I put it directly on the meat? Can it be used for steaks? i.e. should I put it on the meat, leave it for a bit, then take it off?

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Rajah-Meat-Tenderiser.html#aISG081

This would suggest you use it as an ingredient for a (dry?) marinade, but I suppose you could just use it on its own as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

LittleBook wrote: »

Where did you end up getting it out of interest?

These kind of products do need to be rubbed directly onto the meat. The product I had made little or no difference. I gave up chasing the easy fix.

Alun wrote: »
    http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Rajah-Meat-Tenderiser.html#aISG081

This would suggest you use it as an ingredient for a (dry?) marinade, but I suppose you could just use it on its own as well.
    These kind of products do need to be rubbed directly onto the meat. The product I had made little or no difference. I gave up chasing the easy fix.

Thanks. That looks like the recipe on the actual packet, I guess I'll just have to taste the stuff and experiment a bit.
    Where did you end up getting it out of interest?

Afraid I can't remember the name but it's the Asian foodstore right beside the Luas stop for Jervis Street in Dublin city centre.

Advertisement