Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh no, mass.

Options
  • 03-03-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

This morning while listening to todayfm, the reception went all fuzzy and gradually changed to a church bell, after that stopped I could hear shuffling and coughing which eventually broke out into a full blown mass.

Is some church around the north east Galway/Roscommon/Mayo broadcasting mass, I wouldn't have thought it was interference from the local church.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Maybe it was the much publicised 15 minute Lenten mass in Kilconly!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm not sure how long it was, I was on my way out the door at the time. I'm pretty sure I've heard of this somewhere before, but it killed the todayfm signal which was really strong before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shazfla

The church in Corofin broadcasts mass from a frequency very similar to todayfm (not sure what it is off hand). We figured this out a while ago after months of The sunday business show being interrupted by the priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is some church around the north east Galway/Roscommon/Mayo broadcasting mass, I wouldn't have thought it was interference from the local church.

Glenamaddy church does anyway - however it's normally newstalk that I lose and not today fm.

Isn't that illegal, I thought you'd have to have a license?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

Yeah I think it's a grey area - the purpose is to transmit Mass for people who can't make it to Mass (older people, the sick etc) so it's not like they are trying to hijack the airwaves.

At the same time if you're trying to listen to something on the radio and it gets over-ridden it can be frustrating. I guess it would only become a problem if people started to complain and personally it doesn't bother me that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm not sure how long it was, I was on my way out the door at the time. I'm pretty sure I've heard of this somewhere before, but it killed the todayfm signal which was really strong before hand.

Today FM eh, I prefer listening to mass than Dempsy/D'Arcy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

This would really piss me off it it happened. I doubt they have a licence to pollute the airwaves with religious stuff. Church Bells are bad enough but interrupting a broadcast of a radio station with a licence is not on. I can guarantee you that if this was a Muslim broadcast that there would be uproar. (FYI I was brought up Catholic but don't believe in god and don't see why the Catholic Church should get any special treatment)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

perhaps you have a direct link to God

Today FM eh, I prefer listening to mass than Dempsy/D'Arcy :)
    Which makes it perfect for making you leave the bedroom if it's on your alarm.

It is annoying, who does this Jesus guy think he is flaunting the law like that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement