Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are a Bar/Late Night Venue/Night Club Owner

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Live music simply doesn't work in pubs.. the most popular pubs (Kasbar, Geoffs, Masons (once) & Harveys) do not have live music.

Also a decent band costs in the region of €500 per night so you would need to increase turnover by €750 to break even, excluding additional salaries for staff and security to cover the additional numbers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

the Kazbar and Mason's have live music every weekend.. The Straw Dogs & Blue Print in the kazbar this weekend and Revolver in mason's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

mozattack wrote: »
    Live music simply doesn't work in pubs.. the most popular pubs (Kasbar, Geoffs, Masons (once) & Harveys) do not have live music.

Also a decent band costs in the region of €500 per night so you would need to increase turnover by €750 to break even, excluding additional salaries for staff and security to cover the additional numbers etc.
    Ruby lounge do ok out of it by the look of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

no i disagree, if the music is good and appeals to most tastes and is not too loud then it csn have a positive effect on business.

Ledger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kitty_kilkenny

Great thread

My fantasy pub - no TV, music not too loud. comfy seats, card nights, clean toilets.
    I shouldn't be let out really...I sound like my granny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 citylad

ill take the rugby club on Parnell st
    Sould buy it for less than 700,000
    design & fit out at about 400,000
    loan of 1.2m (start up stock etc of 100,000)

design brief -
    sort of church like, keeping the essence of the building ,
    accentuate this with lots of couches (ones you can sink into)
    low lighting at night with candles around the place

Music policy
    easy listening jazz during the day
    funky house music at night time, audible but not too loud
    let the building echo peoeples voices.

Food Service,
    light brunch, bacon & eggs, scrambled eggs benedict,
    open sandwiches, range of soups, seafood chowder, veggie type and meat type like goulash soup of something, good comfort food

beer prices to reflect the inner city set up with larger on draught for €4.50 etc

good range of nice wines by the glass or bottle
    choice of world beers, made to order cocktails (€7-€10)

regualar opening hours from 10.30am - 11.30pm
    late opening on fri & sat night

Bar is Called "The Church",
    tagline
    "a place to water the body and nourish the Soul"

i'll add to the concept as i get more time

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

kryogen wrote: »
    isnt there some sort of market research forum elsewhere on this site?

Probably, but I think the topic has its fun side even if its going to be partly used for research. On that basis, I think its fine anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Unless one of us wins the lotto I don't think it will be used for research here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'd turn back time and **** Penneys out of it and open up Egans again. That place was making more money than any other pub in Waterford at the time it closed but when you're offered a substantial 7-8 figure sum, I think you'd be pretty quick to sell!

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'd turn back time and **** Penneys out of it and open up Egans again. That place was making more money than any other pub in Waterford at the time it closed but when you're offered a substantial 7-8 figure sum, I think you'd be pretty quick to sell!

Egans was dying on its arse at the time it was closed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

its funny how people on this make Waterford out to be so crap... as someone involved in nitelife in the town(albeit at a dance level) instead of coming up with fantasy idea's that will never happen, why not start supporting whats left of the local scene.... who knows if the town's pubs n clubs start returning to decent numbers, maybe the said pubs and clubs would start listening to the punters more and more... and these ideas may not be so fantasy afterall....

lets face it Waterford is really small locality in terms of pub these days, but each weekend, there are DJs playing techno/house for the dance crowd, there are plenty of quiet pubs for the people want it, there is Harveys/rubys lounge for the commercial side of things... EA/Rubys lounge has decent live acts week in week out.... Revolution/Escape has a very modern venue with different things on nightly and a new clubspace out the back for dance music in a modern comfy venue which the town has been craving for years.... there isnt a whole lot left to be on offer in terms of late night spots anyway.. i think one or two more decent pubs with no late licences are whats needed close to town, but the ones that were there closed down for a reason.

Egans was dying on its arse at the time it was closed...

I agree it was, we were delivering the beer in there and what they were doing was not enough to break even imho, they got out at the right time when penny offered.

Anywho, the reids still have the belfry which gets a lot of bus tours and tourists and then Eddie Reid has Bothar Buidhe in cleaboy, which is doing a steady trade.

Ledger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,638 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I will take the Old Cinema on Patrick Street.
    Buy it for 800,000
    Knock it down and build from Strach. 1.4 Million
    Stock Cost loan of 400.000

Have 5 Areas

Downstairs Area 1- Open at 12 O Clock. Would be a Pub/restraut area which would serve food and drinks till about 9pm at night and from 9pm would be a normal hours pub which would play no music be a place for a chat. would fit aprox 340 people.

Downstairs Area 2- Would open from 7pm to 3am. This would be a place where local rock bands, and tribute bands would play. It would fit aprox 500 people and would also contain an outside smoking area. Would be Nightclub Hours and would contain 2 bars.

Upstairs Area 3- Would open from 10.30pm till 3am at night and would be the nightclub area and would fit aprox 1000 people which would also include a dancefloor and a special chill out room. This area would include 4 bars and a small bar outside in the chill out room. Also there would be a smoking area outside. This place will contain Djs.

Upstairs Area 4- Would be the Sports Area. It would be a place where football rugby and Gaa matches would be on the big screens. This area would contain 2 big screens and 4 small screens. There would be a spcial divide in there for events that fall on the same day ie if a rugby and football match were on the same day. This place would conatain 2 bars and a smoking area. This area would be only open on days when matches are on and would be open from 12 o clock to 11.30pm. It would fit aprox 1000 people.

Upstairs Area 5- Would be a small Auditorium/ Private Room that would play host to Comedians, Fashion Shows and Private Partys. These area will contain a revolving stage that could be used as a dancefloor when there are private partys on. Also a long bar would be avilable. It would fit aprox 800 people and 1000 for partys.

I would charge 4.00 a pint and have a lot of special offers. It would cost 10 euro to go into the nightclub.

@PTH2009

So i take it this is after you win the lotto yea? :confused:

:rolleyes:

Ledger

Bloody good idea for a bar though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Have agree, top place for a club, and I dont think you would have to knock the building , just gutt it out and good refit, but would it be to far to walk for the sheep of Waterford:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I will take the Old Cinema on Patrick Street.
    Buy it for 800,000
    Knock it down and build from Strach. 1.4 Million
    Stock Cost loan of 400.000

Have 5 Areas

Downstairs Area 1- Open at 12 O Clock. Would be a Pub/restraut area which would serve food and drinks till about 9pm at night and from 9pm would be a normal hours pub which would play no music be a place for a chat. would fit aprox 340 people.

Downstairs Area 2- Would open from 7pm to 3am. This would be a place where local rock bands, and tribute bands would play. It would fit aprox 500 people and would also contain an outside smoking area. Would be Nightclub Hours and would contain 2 bars.

Upstairs Area 3- Would open from 10.30pm till 3am at night and would be the nightclub area and would fit aprox 1000 people which would also include a dancefloor and a special chill out room. This area would include 4 bars and a small bar outside in the chill out room. Also there would be a smoking area outside. This place will contain Djs.

Upstairs Area 4- Would be the Sports Area. It would be a place where football rugby and Gaa matches would be on the big screens. This area would contain 2 big screens and 4 small screens. There would be a spcial divide in there for events that fall on the same day ie if a rugby and football match were on the same day. This place would conatain 2 bars and a smoking area. This area would be only open on days when matches are on and would be open from 12 o clock to 11.30pm. It would fit aprox 1000 people.

Upstairs Area 5- Would be a small Auditorium/ Private Room that would play host to Comedians, Fashion Shows and Private Partys. These area will contain a revolving stage that could be used as a dancefloor when there are private partys on. Also a long bar would be avilable. It would fit aprox 800 people and 1000 for partys.

I would charge 4.00 a pint and have a lot of special offers. It would cost 10 euro to go into the nightclub.

sounds like a bloody good plan
    WHEN I win the euro millions tonight, I will put up thecapital for that:D

But seriously sounds cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Ziedth. wrote: »
    My theory:

Building: The Old Stand

Has the ground work already, nicely spaced, upstairs area, IIRC there is a yard at the back that could be converted into a smoking area.

Style: Mixed

First floor, Cross between hotel lobby and sports bar. IE comfy seats few plasma screens dotted around and a projector.

I would have a rectangular bar in an island like harveys front bar and here is the hook on one side i'd have it traditional but on the other i'd have a system of constanly moving (kinda like in a concert) for when it gets busy.

Upstairs, I'd cater for live discos. this wold have a simialr style to ruby lounge. I'd limit the seating as much as possible and keep it to vsrious standing areas and stools.

Running the place:

I would undercut all nightclubs by at least .20c if not .50c a drink and encourage buying rounds kinda like that promotion red bull were doing with the weel for €20. I would keep downstairs free of loud music but still a decent vibe and have it somewhat relaxed while upstairs basically everything I hate about harveys on a sat night(to bring in the money).

On a friday I would have a live band. The best pub band I could get at the time Play them dowstairs in the evening and same setup as saturday night later on.

For student nights I would operate the strictest door policy known to man.

Always let in the attractive (thats right I said it) ladies but not all men if they are in anyway messy. this would hopefully give the place a classy look on a student night and word would quickly spread that this is where all the fit wans go.

I would have a zero scumbag policy all nights, you know the kind.

What I would hope to get out of this is people to have the option to have a quiet pint downstairs but still keep everyone else happy going to their harveys clone upstairs.

I wouldn't bother with food, to much competition. Maybe for matches downstairs I would do sausages and goujons to order at a crazy high markup.

think youve just described the kazbah there...

I don't think so man,

Maybe in seating yes. But apart from that not so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭daisy1984

I was in a club in ennis in clare I think last year and it was fab, it was like a converted old liberary but it was a nightclub and it had weird sayings and such but was like a liberary its hard to explain but it was a great place for a laugh and it was packed! It had 3 levels I think into different themes of music. Ya had the oldies but goodies, dance, and the lastest music from the charts! And it was free to get in!

Also I think promo nights are great such as miller and tia maria etc Iv been to a few of those in Tipp ah few years back they were brilliant, breathing fire, dancers, illusionists it was fab. Its not only bout music and drinking its bout entertainment aswell! :)

• Advertisement

Would I be right in saying though that drinks promotions are very closely monitored now?

Being the PC mad world we live in, I remember back in 2002 when I started college you could get destroyed on like €30 without drinking in a house first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭daisy1984

To be honest I actually dont no lol! Im still in college Iv not been to drinks promo in years

Advertisement