Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm going to order arcade stick parts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Cheers for that PPC, was going to have to ask that question myself when my TE arrives next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Sairus wrote: »
    Cheers for that PPC, was going to have to ask that question myself when my TE arrives next week.
    Heres the guide for soldering it up http://img263.yfrog.com/img263/7899/chimpmadcatz.png

Full Chimp thread here http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=162026

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

yeah theres no way in hell I'm gonna be soldering stuff ,:o why I went with Terrys method.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dear PPC,

please don't replace the stock parts of a Namco stick.
    But if you do.
    Give them to me.

Regards,
    Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

Sisko wrote: »
    yeah theres no way in hell I'm gonna be soldering stuff ,:o why I went with Terrys method.

Where did you get your PS1 controller from? I haven't been able to find the correct one yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Ah right.
    I checked that link for a 360 to ps3 converter but no joy. Maybe the best thing would be goin down that ps1 pcb route, especially if there's gonna b lag in a converter which is what a quick search on google is tellin me about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

PPC wrote: »
    I've just finished adding one of these to my TE
    http://www.gamingnow.net/diy-circuit-boards-c-81_83/chimp

Works well, it auto detects if i'm plugging it into an xbox or PS3.

It goes require a bit of soldering to setup, but its worth it.

Now to do my SE and some namco sticks :)

Ah cool, thanks for that man. I think I'm gonna purchase one now and use that for my se to play on ps3. Good stuff.

Theres a stick out that has built in support for both 360 and ps3. The guy on this site sells the PCB also:

http://www.etokki.com/Joytron%20Paewang%20Revolution%20PCB%20Only

Red350 wrote: »
    Where did you get your PS1 controller from? I haven't been able to find the correct one yet.

Correct one? I've not modded mine yet , waiting for the parts to arrive. But I've a ps1 pad since I still have my ps1 from years ago. Although I think a mate of mine as a broken ps2 pad , so I might use that instead since it has a black wire (will match my stick :p) and doesn't work so he'll never use it.

Theres a stick out that has built in support for both 360 and ps3. The guy on this site sells the PCB also:

http://www.etokki.com/Joytron%20Paewang%20Revolution%20PCB%20Only

I think I might just go for this instead, seems a lot less messy than dealing with a ps1 pad and converters.

Laugh has a tutorial on modding it for anyone else who's interested
    http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=222925

Well the cool thing about the ps1 way is that you don't need to solder. & I only had to buy converters so it worked out cheaper too. So its actually less messy and cheaper. Unless I'm mistaken.

However it does mean having to haul converters everywhere. The 360 one needing a wired 360 pad also.

So for that reason having a pcb that does both no hassle is better alright.

• Advertisement

Having it plug and play without converters would be pretty sweet, though the soldering part will be a fun learning experience :P

Can anyone recommend a non expensive, but decent quality soldering iron?

Well the cool thing about the ps1 way is that you don't need to solder. & I only had to buy converters so it worked out cheaper too. So its actually less messy and cheaper. Unless I'm mistaken.

However it does mean having to haul converters everywhere. The 360 one needing a wired 360 pad also.

So for that reason having a pcb that does both no hassle is better alright.

You'll still need to solder the buttons to the PS1 pad, but it should be simple enough to do.

Thats not too bad, you'll still need to connect the joystick to those cables, you could probably just use a screw terminal or heatshrink to join them. You'll also need some .110 quick disconnects and a pliers/crimper to attatch them.

Spiffyshoes' DS1 hack is the most awesome ghetto method in existence.

Thats not too bad, you'll still need to connect the joystick to those cables, you could probably just use a screw terminal or heatshrink to join them. You'll also need some .110 quick disconnects and a pliers/crimper to attatch them.

ah wha? I thought I could just plug the existing wires on the stick right into the pcb and hey presto. I'm starting to foresee my head being massively wrecked with this stuff when I get down to it, god damn it.

Terrrryyyyyyyyyyyy since you've done this already can you clear up what exactly I'm in for when I get to doing this?

Also looking for any/all advice on printing off my own artwork and where to buy vinyl dye , I'm painting my stick black.

I have been reading the treads on SRK but I need to know where to get this stuff over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Also looking for any/all advice on printing off my own artwork and where to buy vinyl dye , I'm painting my stick black.

I have been reading the treads on SRK but I need to know where to get this stuff over here.

I think someone said on here you can get it in halfords.

Yup, Halfords was the only place I could find it in (so far).

Sisko, if you have the PS1 PCB & stick ready, I can do the wiring for you if you want (should have enough QDs left over).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Halfords this is the stuff I used, worked a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

ah wha? I thought I could just plug the existing wires on the stick right into the pcb and hey presto. I'm starting to foresee my head being massively wrecked with this stuff when I get down to it, god damn it.

Terrrryyyyyyyyyyyy since you've done this already can you clear up what exactly I'm in for when I get to doing this?

Sorry man, I wasn't subscribed to this thread so didn't see the updates.

You should call over to me next time you're in DCU and we'll open it up and have a look. Also, are you 100% sure that your ps1 pad is the one that allows the spiffyshoes hack? Only a certain model will work.

I have wires coming out of the ps1 pad (as in the diagram in the spiffyshoes tutorial) and those wires have to be connected to the corresponding wires in the SE stick. This can be done in a number of ways (one of which was mentioned by PPC). You could use the actual wires from the SE stick and insert them directly into the ps1 pcb although there might be issues regarding wire length and wire guage (width). What I did was stick the wires from the ps1 pcb into the little white terminals that were originally attached to the SE pcb. You'll see it clearly if you call over! I don't have a good camera so can't take pics.

Having said that, the joytron pcb does look appealing to me. I would have considered that back when i was doing my mod but it wasn't on the market then. Of course I would have had to get kiki to solder it for me ;)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Sisko, if you have the PS1 PCB & stick ready, I can do the wiring for you if you want (should have enough QDs left over).

Cheers kiki.

My plan is/was to do everything in one go. That is, paint the stick, add the art work, insert the PCB , insert all the new sanwa parts after modding the sanwa stick to have less of a deadzone like in that vid sagat06 posted. And adding the octo gate redman gave me.

My Sanwa parts have yet to arrive and I have yet to buy the dye and print off my artwork so I'm not at the stage where I'll be hooking up the ps1 pcb yet.

Sagat06 wrote: »
    Halfords this is the stuff I used, worked a treat.

Was this for your blanka stick? Or did you paint another one too?
    animaX wrote: »

You should call over to me next time you're in DCU and we'll open it up and have a look. Also, are you 100% sure that your ps1 pad is the one that allows the spiffyshoes hack?

Cheers yeah when I get the thing painted and artwork on I'll bring it up to yea with the ps1/2 pad I'm gonna use. I'm not 100% sure yet no, I've a couple of ps1 pads here and a m8 of mine has a broken ps2 pad which I'm gonna look at 1st.

Having said that, the joytron pcb does look appealing to me. I would have considered that back when i was doing my mod but it wasn't on the market then. Of course I would have had to get kiki to solder it for me ;)

Yeah, I already have a 360 converter so I figured I was half way there, may as well order a ps3 one and do the ps1 pad method.

Btw if for somereason anyone is looking for an arcade stick shell. Since laugh takes out the PCBs from those sticks to sell, from what I read he has loads of empty shells from those sticks and he mentioned he's sell them for 5 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Was this for your blanka stick? Or did you paint another one too?

I painted the bezel on the blanka stick and it showed up great imo, I tried it on a ex2 aswell but that whole thing did not go well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Cheers yeah when I get the thing painted and artwork on I'll bring it up to yea with the ps1/2 pad I'm gonna use. I'm not 100% sure yet no, I've a couple of ps1 pads here and a m8 of mine has a broken ps2 pad which I'm gonna look at 1st.

I meant to open up my one and have a look at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Reanimemmett

Did you get a fully assembled Chimp with screw in terminals? If so, does that mean that you just screw a length of wire into the Chimp and solder the other end to the appropriate point on the 360 PCB?

Quick question for anyone who's ordered from akihabara shop, did you have to pay tax when it was delivered?

Red350 wrote: »
    Quick question for anyone who's ordered from akihabara shop, did you have to pay tax when it was delivered?
    Haven't been caught by the taxman yet.
    Wish I could say the same for Play-Asia...

Ah I don't think I'll take the chance, I seem to get caught everytime I order from the states.

I'm going to pick up some stuff from arcadeshop.de, and a couple of the pcbs from laugh's website, does anybody else want to piggyback on the order? I'll be putting it through in a few hours so respond asap.

I meant to open up my one and have a look at that!

Cool yeah that'll be a good help .

• Advertisement

Did you get a fully assembled Chimp with screw in terminals? If so, does that mean that you just screw a length of wire into the Chimp and solder the other end to the appropriate point on the 360 PCB?
    I went with a terminaless unassembled Chimp. Its dead easy to put together. Before i used a Cthulhu with screw in terminals, theres no real advantage to it, you'll solder the wires in the same amount of time. But yeah, basically just solder it to the point on the xbox pcb then screw/solder it into the Chimp. I went with 20awg single core on the chimp, bit easier to solder, but if you move the board it can pop right off :/

Advertisement