Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3rd party vs fully comp

• 03-03-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi

Not sure if this is the correct forum but what are peoples opinion on choosing 3rd party insurance over fully comprehensive when insuring a car about 10 years old? These days alot of the insurance companies are lowering the difference in price between 3rd party and fully comp to make it more tempting to justify the fully comp price. For a 10 year old car in good condition only worth a few thousand euros is it work going with fully comp? Do the extra perks you get pay off if you have a knock and have to repair the car for example, is it not easier to replace rather than repair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Stiffs

A few thousand euro's you say your 10 yr old car is worth verses say an extra 50-100 euro as fully comp. Unless the car is worth less than 100euro i don't see why you'd go 3rd pft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The way I see it that if the car is worth less than X euro it's not worth having fully comp, I can just buy repair the car myself or continue driving it with dents.
    What's important then is that the other driver is covered in case I hit them *touch wood*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Stiffs wrote: »
    A few thousand euro's you say your 10 yr old car is worth verses say an extra 50-100 euro as fully comp. Unless the car is worth less than 100euro i don't see why you'd go 3rd pft?

That's not really the point. The point is if you put a claim in to repair your car, your premium is going to increase and you'll possibly lose all or part of your no claims bonus. It's not really worth it on your average 10 year old car IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Stiffs

<Ollie> wrote: »
    That's not really the point. The point is if you put a claim in to repair your car, your premium is going to increase and you'll possibly lose all or part of your no claims bonus. It's not really worth it on your average 10 year old car IMO.

If you hit a 3rd party your gonna loose your no claims anyway and possibly increase your premium so why not cover your own car? Unless its a case of driving it into a hedge by your own accord without any 3rd party involved - thats a case of how much your prepared to loose verses effect your insurance premium. If the difference is 100 to go fully comp (Most policies insure your no claims also when you go fully comp... ) and even if the car is worth 500 then surely 500 claimed back is better than nothing.

I believe that for the sake of 70euro (Thats figure between full comp and 3rpft for one of my own policies) its worth it.

I have 3 polices only one of which is 3rd pft. Which i now regret as i don't have a spare 6k if i drive it off the road into a wall..

Advertisement