Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ludicrous player behaviour and the clubs that allow it

• 03-03-2010 2:53pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just reading this morning about poor Mamadou Niang and his cold hands. This unmerciful ponce wears gloves every time he togs out for Olympique Marseille which on its own should be a sackable offence, but not only this, he insists on wearing a particular type of glove - a Nike branded glove.

OM are paid handsomely to wear Adidas kits, boots and accessories but rather than tell their chilly-fisted frontman to cop on and at least wear three stripes if he absolutely must swan about in gloves, they let him have his way, and pay Adidas 5,000 euros for each and every match that he takes to the pitch with the Nike gloves. That's about two hundred grand a year just so he can wear his favourite gloves.

Can anyone beat that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,467 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I was just reading this morning about poor Mamadou Niang and his cold hands. This unmerciful ponce wears gloves every time he togs out for Olympique Marseille which on its own should be a sackable offence, but not only this, he insists on wearing a particular type of glove - a Nike branded glove.

OM are paid handsomely to wear Adidas kits, boots and accessories but rather than tell their chilly-fisted frontman to cop on and at least wear three stripes if he absolutely must swan about in gloves, they let him have his way, and pay Adidas 5,000 euros for each and every match that he takes to the pitch with the Nike gloves. That's about two hundred grand a year just so he can wear his favourite gloves.

Can anyone beat that?

does he wear the cause they are 'his favourite pair of gloves' or because he has a sponsorship contract with Nike? Surprising that a club could get away with focing sponsorship contracts on the players for things like boots and gloves, I assume they were personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Should really be taken out of his wages. Let him decide which he'd prefer, his Nike gloves or €200k. That would sort things out fairly quickly.

Should really be taken out of his wages. Let him decide which he'd prefer, his Nike gloves or €200k. That would sort things out fairly quickly.

Nike may pay him 250k to wear their gear.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Actually, he probably will take them off some time around April so it may be 'only' about 100k a year, thinking about it. He doesn't have a contract with Nike - that would actually be worse, if he were being paid by Nike on top of costing the club that much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

"unmerciful ponce" - love it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

They look like Adidas to me......

Marseille+v+Ajax+UEFA+Cup+laR2h2iBpPKl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Are they the exact same pair everytime or just different pairs of the same type?

If they're the exact same pair maybe they were given to him as a present?

Anyway, Adidas should grow up and stop charging the club for him wearing a different brand, FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Right that's it, I have had enough of these players. The gloves are off....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The chap is nobody with absolutely no European/Global appeal.

Cant believe someone actually pays him €250,000 to wear gloves.

If you want to pay and outfield player to wear gloves then Rory Delap would be the only one I would even consider considering the exposure he is guaranteed to get.

redout wrote: »

If you want to pay and outfield player to wear gloves then Rory Delap would be the only one I would even consider considering the exposure he is guaranteed to get.

But wouldn't gloves completely fúck up the throw in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Could this have been a once off and caused abit a stir?

arton10233.jpg

......because he seems to wear Adidas gloves quite abit

img.409419_t.jpg

1.gif

Mamadou-Niang-edited1_2409513.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Somebody get the man a generic pair of gloves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Short sleeves and gloves? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Dancor wrote: »
    I never got this. Why not wear a long-sleeve jersey and your hands won't be as cold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Jeez,makes that €1 pair of "Thinsulates" I bought in Dunnes feel like even more of a bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

delap2.jpg

He might compromise his bath towel sponsorship then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Not much 'global appeal' but he's fairly popular in Africa and a big name in France. After all L'OM are a huge club there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I never got this. Why not wear a long-sleeve jersey and your hands won't be as cold

Why do people think your arms being warm is the same as your hands being warm :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

SickBoy wrote: »
    delap2.jpg

He might compromise his bath towel sponsorship then ;)

That looks like a Liverpool beach towel.

i don't really see what the issue is to be honest.

He is sponsored, seemingly, by Nike - check the boots, so i would say it is reasonable for Nike to expect him to wear Nike gear (when it is not directly club gear). Are gloves now part of the club kit? Does the keeper HAVE to wear Addidas gloves regardless of his sponsorship deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Dancor wrote: »

These lads (pro footballers) aren't well know for their intelligence in fairness. Still, you'd hope that the people who feed and cloth him would let him know he looks a bit daft.
    Football clubs let their players get away with close to murder to keep them on side. Theres a number of convicted criminals still plying their trade in the professional ranks and a large number of "not the nicest people to know but never been convicted of anything" there also.
    I'd be more worried about that behaviour than letting them wear gloves to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Why shouldnt' he wear gloves if he wants. As long as he's not breaking any law or hinders his play, then I have no issue with this at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

kippy wrote: »
    These lads (pro footballers) aren't well know for their intelligence in fairness. Still, you'd hope that the people who feed and cloth him would let him know he looks a bit daft.
    Football clubs let their players get away with close to murder to keep them on side. Theres a number of convicted criminals still plying their trade in the professional ranks and a large number of "not the nicest people to know but never been convicted of anything" there also.
    I'd be more worried about that behaviour than letting them wear gloves to be honest.

id imagine there are quite a few convicted criminals who work as mechanics, engineers, scientists, actors, binmen, pretty much most prefessions.

Does that mean their companys let them away with murder too?

Or is it a case that when a person has served their time, come clubs believ they should be given a second chance.

Or should they be cast out like a pariah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

event wrote: »
    id imagine there are quite a few convicted criminals who work as mechanics, engineers, scientists, actors, binmen, pretty much most prefessions.

Does that mean their companys let them away with murder too?

Or is it a case that when a person has served their time, come clubs believ they should be given a second chance.

Or should they be cast out like a pariah?

1. Theres a fairly small pool of full time professional footballers. Percentage wise (against the other professions you name, theres possibly a larger number of convicted criminals amoungst them.
    2. Theres a lot more who havent been convicted simply because of the position they hold.
    I may be over reacting, but Joey Barton to me epitomises how pro footballers get away with a hell of a lot:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Barton
    How many convictions/hot water can you get into before your club fires you and NO OTHER club takes you on?
    Theres giving chances and theres being daft about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    That looks like a Liverpool beach towel.

I could be wrong but there is no "ter" in liverpool try Manchester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

who sponsors Rooneys gloves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

mayordenis wrote: »

But there is in "Spanish Waiter".

It's a Rafa towel! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

It looks like "ver".. Who cares really I am fairly sure its a Stoke towel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Not much 'global appeal' but he's fairly popular in Africa and a big name in France. After all L'OM are a huge club there.

Just think of all those African kids rushing out to buy Nike gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Can anyone beat that?

I really don't get whats so wrong with wearing gloves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

A lad on RedCafe once argued that players wear gloves so they dont cut their hands when they fall on cold grass. He was serious too.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

keane2097 wrote: »
    Why do people think your arms being warm is the same as your hands being warm :confused:

It is in Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Just think of all those African kids rushing out to buy Nike gloves.

Not everyone in Africa's poor. Angola's minted for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

If he wants to wear gloves, let him. I seriously doubt he's losing anything close to €200,000 a year. And plus, i suffer serious pain in my hands when it cold outside, while my little sister would walk around oblivious. No, i may very well be a little ponce, but i'd rather be called that then have cold hands.

Side note, i don't wear gloves because i can never find a pair that have any effect.

Not everyone in Africa's poor. Angola's minted for one.

I'm fairly sure he was talking about the weather..

• Advertisement

Gerty wrote: »
    If he wants to wear gloves, let him. I seriously doubt he's losing anything close to €200,000 a year.

I don't really think he shouldn't be allowed wear gloves, the point is more that the club is haemmorhaging cash to fund his penchant for Nikes.

Again, he's not sponsored by Nike and the club have a contract with Adidas that players must wear their gear on the pitch - otherwise they would have no legal recourse to issue the weekly fines to Niang, which the club picks up.

He's a pretty big name, regularly at or near the top of the scorer's charts at the country's most popular club so the gloves, unlike his hands, get plenty of exposure.

Anyway, any more stories of players pulling the piss and clubs lapping it up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I for one would blame the club more so than the player.

How is Niang being stupid, for wearing something he wants to wear / is paid to wear, while Marseille aren't for signing a deal with Addidas that pretty much goes against the grain of what every other club has.

United/Liverpool/Real/Bayern etc don't have those kinds of deasl, cause they know that players all have thier individual clothing brand contracts.

If Marseille are stupid enough to sign a deal like that, then let them pay the fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

kippy wrote: »
    1. Theres a fairly small pool of full time professional footballers. Percentage wise (against the other professions you name, theres possibly a larger number of convicted criminals amoungst them.
    2. Theres a lot more who havent been convicted simply because of the position they hold.
    I may be over reacting, but Joey Barton to me epitomises how pro footballers get away with a hell of a lot:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Barton
    How many convictions/hot water can you get into before your club fires you and NO OTHER club takes you on?
    Theres giving chances and theres being daft about it.

if you say that there are around 25 players in most teams squads, that means there is 500 players in the premiership and around 1800 in the football leagues.

So in england, thats about 2300 full time footballers. how many are convicted criminals.

Can you name the players that have gotten away with criminal convictions just because they are footballers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'd say investment bankers and other white colar criminal types, have a much higher instance of criminal charges not being made due to ocupation than footballers.

Naomi Campbel on assault four or five times.
    Cheryl Cole on assault.
    Lyndsey Lohan on DUI.
    Paris Hilton on DUI.
    R Kelly pedophile.
    Kobe Brynt for rape.
    Lewis Libby on lying to the FBI.
    Michael Vick on animal cruelty.
    OJ Simpson, need I even say!

(all alegedy for legal purposes obviously.)

It's not footballers that get away with murder (pardon the pun), it's rich people and celebrities in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in some instances the opposite is almost true as well, ie. more of a big deal is made out of something because they are a footballer, eg. gerrard gets in a bar fight resulting in a court case over a few weeks, how many bar fights do you reckon there is in england every weekend? How many end up in court?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I was just reading this morning about poor Mamadou Niang and his cold hands.

Could you put up a link to where you read this? Thanks
    This unmerciful ponce wears gloves every time he togs out for Olympique Marseille which on its own should be a sackable offence,

It's his own business what he wears. Look at what soccer, rugby and GAA players are wering today in comparison to 10 or 20 years ago. Are they all ponces? Niang's scoring stats speak for themselves, a bargain in todays money at €7,000,000 IMO.

bijapos wrote: »

Could you put up a link to where you read this? Thanks

here

here

and

here
    It's his own business what he wears.

It's not though. It's quite clearly the business of the club, Adidas (R.L. Dreyfus used to own both OM and Adidas before his death) and by extension the fans whose cash is being wasted on these ridiculous fines.

Imagine if the blasphemy laws were upheld and each time a player swore at a ref or took the lord's name in vain his club was fined 25 grand. It would be ridiculous, but you'd expect to club to ask the player to rein himself in, no? Poor analogy granted, but I can't think of a better one right now.
    Look at what soccer, rugby and GAA players are wering today in comparison to 10 or 20 years ago. Are they all ponces?

Yes. I would have to say that Cristiano Ronaldo for one is, on the strength of the photos I've seen of him in public, an incandescent ponce. And he's not alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Maybe he has to wear them the whole time as he could be at stage 12:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQVVdwAx2GU

patmac wrote: »
    Maybe he has to wear them the whole time as he could be at stage 12:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQVVdwAx2GU

Video is blocked here. What is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Video is blocked here. What is it?
    Can't get it to embed. Father Ted clip about Father Jack who reached Stage 12 of that hairy hand thing. Their not gloves etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

It's not though. It's quite clearly the business of the club, Adidas (R.L. Dreyfus used to own both OM and Adidas before his death) and by extension the fans whose cash is being wasted on these ridiculous fines.

Ok, thanks for the links, bit of a misunderstanding here. When I say it's his business, I mean it's his business if he wears gloves to protect himself from the cold (or percieved cold).

On the other point of players of other codes I mean the amount of gear (undershirts etc) players today wear as against players a few years ago.

I understand where you're coming from with the ponciness, players are more in the celeb media today then before and they like to play up to that, it's something which annoys me, but what really takes the biscuit is the fake diving and rolling around that goes on at every half decent challenge and yes on this I agree with you that they are poncy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Or maybe The Potters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Potters...

stoke_city_crest.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Can anyone beat that?

Not beat it as such, but John Terry gets amazingly bad press for cheating on his wife with the girlfriend of a fellow professional. The club give him "Compassionate leave"

Ashley Cole does something very similar and he faces a big fine and possibly the sack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Not beat it as such, but John Terry gets amazingly bad press for cheating on his wife with the girlfriend of a fellow professional. The club give him "Compassionate leave"

Ashley Cole does something very similar and he faces a big fine and possibly the sack.
    Different kettle of fish though, Ashley directly involved the club in his indiscretions, as well as lying to them, and thats why he's getting fined, not the cheating in itself.

This is the most important bit;
    But Chelsea are taking an extremely dim view of the latest allegations, not least because of the embarrassment it has caused their highly regarded head of communications and public affairs, Steve Atkins.

Atkins, who was the deputy press secretary for the British Embassy in Washington DC prior to moving to Chelsea, became embroiled in the saga on last summer’s tour of the US when Cole solicited his help in keeping a report he feared would ruin his
    marriage out of the papers.

Cole is alleged to have smuggled American Ann Corbitt into his room in the team hotel in Seattle, and when a newspaper reporter later approached her, the England left back — currently sidelined by a serious ankle injury — turned to the unwitting Atkins in desperation.

Cole denied the allegations being made by the reporter were true, and in good faith Atkins offered advice to both Cole and Corbitt. Atkins kept the Chelsea hierarchy fully abreast of developments, which could leave Cole accused of misleading the board as well.

Yesterday the emails Atkins sent to Corbitt, based on the belief that the allegations were untrue and advising Corbitt to contact a law firm in London, were reproduced along with the American woman’s lurid account of her time with Cheryl Cole’s husband.
    Sportsmail understands that Cole has not yet apologised to Atkins, and yesterday there was no word from Cole’s advisers at the Stellar Group Limited.

• Advertisement
Advertisement