Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dundalk road rage

Options
  • 03-03-2010 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

posted this in ranting and raving but thought it belongs here too :

this is a garage on the castletown road beside some traffic lights:

late january/early febuary i pulled into a local garage on a sunday morning. it was raining heavily and i parked beside a pump with one other car facing me at the next pump. the attendant was kind enough to fill my tank while i popped in to get rolls. got back into the car with my 11 year old son. started the engine and turned on the fan to clear the window. steamed up from the rolls.the car in front started to reverse as i was getting in.

sitting there for a min while the windscreen cleared when all of a sudden the car in front,which had pulled back in,started beeping and flashing his lights. i look behind to see whats wrong but the forecourt is empty. i look ahead through the (by now) cleared windscreen and he is moving forward and revving like mad trying to get me to move.

I just sat there stunned. he finally gives up and starts to reverse again, then when he gets half way out he decides to pull back in at speed and stop inches from my bumper!

he again shakes his fist,gives the finger and i can see him mouthing curses.then he reverses out again and turns to go out on the road. he sits on the right hand side with his right indicator on but far enough back from the road so he is partly blocking my way out.

i turn to the left and go around the back of his car and indicate to go left on the road and he pulss out at the same time to the LEFT trying to beat me out of the garage. this leaves him driving on the wrong side of the road so he pulls behind me and follows me flashing his lights and beeping his horn. i drive up the road and after 5 turns with him still on my arse i filp out and pull over. i jumped out of the car and he s*** himself and pulled a fast u turn.

a few weeks later (about two weeks ago) i meet him in the shop of the same garage and have a go at him to find out why he did all that.

he said he did not want to reverse because it was raining and he thought i was taking the piss by not reversing out of his way so he could drive out straight. turned out that the attendant had called the gardi over it but they have not contacted me yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

*clap clap*. :confused:

I for one, fail to see how this belongs here, contributes positively to the forum or in anyway needs to exist as a thread. Lovely scéal though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

i thought it belongs here because it happened in DUNDALK which is in LOUTH.

sorry if i wasted 30 seconds of your time reading it. :mad:

I simply thought it might inspire some discussion about Dundalk driving, or driving in the north east in general. it would make a nice change from arguing about the rights and wrongs of cross border shopping. this section of boards has always seemed a bit slower so i did not think anyone would object.

sorry for intruding on your own little hangout.

/leaves thread

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Folks, if you've a problem with a post then report it and leave it for the mods to decide where it belongs.

This thread is fine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

i pulled out in front of a car while exiting the motorway a few years back, the guy blocked my car on the following 2 roundabouts so he could roar abuse at me, then blocked my car on the next road and got out came over to my car and started shouting in my window. Scary stuff, he rang the number on my van and gave out to my boss then as well lol

A few years back I had a fella come up to my car and threaten me with a steering wheel lock when I hit the horn after he cut across me on a roundabout. I got out and told him if he didn't fu*k off up the road I'd shove it up his hole. He left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 godspot

who cares dry your eyes

godspot wrote: »
    who cares dry your eyes

I don't know if you missed my comment above but this thread is fine here, if you've nothing to add then don't post.

If anyone would like to discuss this then PM me but don't drag the thread off topic please.

back on topic, i was driving around the rear exit from the long walk shopping centre yesterday. those familar with this area will know that there is a barrier which rasies to let cars through. there is then a stop sign and line on the road.
    traffic coming around the corner have right of way but yesterday a guy in a small white van almost took off the front of my car by driving straight out,through the stop sign,and on up the road.
    i warned about this junction on here before. too many people come out of the exit and think they have right of way when they dont. be careful if your driving round that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'll try and keep toi the topic. I'm afraid incidents like this happens all too requently all over the country. Indeed it happens all over the world. I wouldn't let it get to you so much if I were you. It happened. Carry on. Not all, indeed not many , drivers are like this. People can have an off day. They can have other things niggling at them and a small motoring incident can take them over the edge. When my mother was recently diagnosed with a fatal illness, with just days to live, I took it out on every car slow to pull away at a green light on the way home. I'm actually a very quiet person but not that day.
    Anyway, back to road rage in Dundalk. I'd say it's not unusual and it will not be the last time you come across it. It's really not a Garda matter based on what you describe.
    I hope the Mods don't think this wrong but you really need to forget about it and realise it's not unique to Dundalk. Maybe try the motoring forum but much as I want to see the Louth forum expand I can't really see what makes it specifically relevant to Louth.

fair enough srameen, (constructive) cristism galdy accepted.I really did think it was relevant to Dundalk and had hoped others may point out junctions or areas where problems occur as a heads up/warning to drivers in the area.

i argee with your point that it is not limited to this town. its simply that i drive more here than anywhere :)

I am not upset about it,it was just annoying and very strange at the time and i wondered if anyone else had this sort of experiance in Dundalk.

thank you for your support Mr Magnolia but it seems that most posters do not feel this is the right forum. i will try to keep it more Dundalk focused if i post again.

sorry. ( no sarcasm intended )

• Advertisement

I'll try and keep toi the topic. I'm afraid incidents like this happens all too requently all over the country. Indeed it happens all over the world. I wouldn't let it get to you so much if I were you. It happened. Carry on. Not all, indeed not many , drivers are like this. People can have an off day. They can have other things niggling at them and a small motoring incident can take them over the edge. When my mother was recently diagnosed with a fatal illness, with just days to live, I took it out on every car slow to pull away at a green light on the way home. I'm actually a very quiet person but not that day.
    Anyway, back to road rage in Dundalk. I'd say it's not unusual and it will not be the last time you come across it. It's really not a Garda matter based on what you describe.
    I hope the Mods don't think this wrong but you really need to forget about it and realise it's not unique to Dundalk.

Sorry to hear about your mother and I totally agree with the points you've made.
    Maybe try the motoring forum but much as I want to see the Louth forum expand I can't really see what makes it specifically relevant to Louth.

I can't make myself any clearer and this is my third post on the matter. The thread is fine here. If you don't like that you can stop reading it or PM me with your concerns, if you're still unhappy you can contact the CMods.

Next person to post to complain about it in the thread instead of PMing me will have their access to the forum removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mr Magnola,
    Much as I hate to say this (and you'll certainly delete this post anyway) I can't understand your line on this matter. People made reasonable comment and you say you'll ban them. Worse things have appeared on this forum without censure. Many Fora on Boards.ie have posts suggesting the users think the subject might get better attention elsewhere. That is all I was doing.
    I'll tell you what, much as I have wanted the Louth thread to flourish, I don't think I can continue with this type of Moderation. I'm PMing nobody and I'm not contacting any CMODS about it but I'm finished with the Louth Forum.

Please remove my access to the North East forum it you feel you must. Your loss not mine.

Regretfully,
    Srameen.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

soups05 wrote: »
    I simply thought it might inspire some discussion about Dundalk driving, or driving in the north east in general. it would make a nice change from arguing about the rights and wrongs of cross border shopping.

Why didn't you say that in the first post then? Instead of some random story that happened in Dundalk. In fairness, you were just having a rant, and theres a forum for that already.

Mr Magnola,
    Much as I hate to say this (and you'll certainly delete this post anyway) I can't understand your line on this matter. People made reasonable comment and you say you'll ban them. Worse things have appeared on this forum without censure. Many Fora on Boards.ie have posts suggesting the users think the subject might get better attention elsewhere. That is all I was doing.
    I'll tell you what, much as I have wanted the Louth thread to flourish, I don't think I can continue with this type of Moderation. I'm PMing nobody and I'm not contacting any CMODS about it but I'm finished with the Louth Forum.

Please remove my access to the North East forum it you feel you must. Your loss not mine.

Regretfully,
    Rylie Loose Supper.

Firstly, feel free to PM with the 'Worse things have appeared on this forum without censure' and I'll look into them.

15 replies up until yours over half of them were about whether or not the thread should or shouldn't be in the Louth forum (several posters have deleted thier responses). This is not reasonable comment, it's unwelcoming and unfair to the OP. The report and the PM function are both there to draw a moderator's attention or get an opinion on something. Posting on the thread about the specific moderation isn't permitted anywhere on boards as it just serves to derail the thread.

I'd posted 3 warnings, now 4 asking people to PM me instead of dragging the thread off topic. Nobody banned, nobody infracted, I don't know how I could have dealt with it in a more reasonable manner. I'm not removing your access that's for you to manage.

soups05, sorry your thread was treated with such hostility.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement