Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday entitlements

Options
  • 03-03-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Firstly i will not be using any specific details.
    I've been working in this place for nearly 3 years now and we were told to hand in our holiday request forms way before xmas. Its a big company with maybe 350 people working there. Between them losing my request form and only giving back my holiday form there the other day its been a disaster.
    I am a student and i really only have a certain window when i can go. They have only given me one summer week off with the other 4 weeks scattered all over the year, all of them bar one il be in college for(the summer one).
    It was my understanding that you had to get two weeks put together in the either the june. july and august months.
    I am extremely angry because I have been there for a while now and they think because i am student they can throw me to the curb and give me the scraps. I am in the trade union and am going to give them a call once ive seen some of the comments.
    I want my holidays, i want something to look forward. Otherwise this year will turn out to be very depressing indeed.

Any suggestions on what i can do to get my hols????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Your holidays hours are to be taken at a time acceptable to your employer, subject to them giving you the statutory time off (think its 8% of hours worked), theres isnt any other restrictions AFAIK. Im open to correction though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Your holidays hours are to be taken at a time acceptable to your employer, subject to them giving you the statutory time off (think its 8% of hours worked), theres isnt any other restrictions AFAIK. Im open to correction though

Taken from http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/media/Holidays%20Txt.pdf

Must an employee take an unbroken 2 week’s holidays?

Following 8 months work, the employee is entitled to an unbroken period
    of 2 weeks which may include one or more public holidays. An
    employment regulation order, registered employment agreement,
    collective agreement or any other agreement between the employer and
    employee may stipulate an arrangement which varies this provision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

you are entitled to two weeks unbroken leave. However, this may be at any time of the year. For example, 21st December until 4th January is two weeks and meets the definition even though there are a lot of public holidays. It does mean you have more than two weeks left but you have got your unbroken two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kathy5w

Whu is the person a fool for asking a question, there is no need to be so agressive.
    You are entitled to 4 weeks holiday a year and you have to request these, if they suit the company then firn, if not you won't get them, but as far as I'm aware the company can not tell you when to take them, I would defo contact the trade union though. Good luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

kathy5w wrote: »
    but as far as I'm aware the company can not tell you when to take them,
    The company has the right to decide when every single day of vacation is taken but has to do so keeping the employees situation in mind (not the exact legal words but meaning) with suitable notification and the two week rule as noted above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement