Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

• 03-03-2010 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭

Any know if Sky are planning on entering the irish market for broadband? Sure would be useful. Not only would you not have to deal with NTL but you could probably get it anywhere Sky Digital TV was available.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Thats not how Sky Broadband works in the UK. They are only another DSL provider.

Nothing to do with your Sat Dish.

From what I seen online (cant remember where) few people in UK can get high speed from Sky as Sky only have a few exchange set up??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They are not likely to enter our broadband market anytime soon. They dont need to, they are creaming it as it is without buying a provider and giving away free basic or discounted broadband.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

From what I seen online (cant remember where) few people in UK can get high speed from Sky as Sky only have a few exchange set up??

Sky in the UK supply ADSL Broadband via BT Wholesale resold ADSL, ADSL Max and ADSL2+, they also supply DSL via LLU or unbundled exchanges which offers ADSL Max and ADSL2+.

They have about 1,190 LLU enabled exchange in the UK which is a reasonable amount but not that much when you compare them to TalkTalk who have approx 4,500+ unbundled exchanges.

None the less Sky's number of exchanges is pretty good when compared to other LLU providers such as O2 who have about 1,200 unbundled.

To be honest the limitations of getting upto 24MB from Sky are no different to getting it from BT or TalkTalk or whoever.

As for Sky entering the Irish market, had LLU prices dropped like they did this year and had it happened 10 years ago then I would have said yes.

However given the small market in Ireland I'd imagine "if" Sky ever did enter the market they'd do so by buying an existing provider rather then start from nothing (thats what they did in the UK when they bought easynet).

"If" Sky did launch an LLU service then this would likely only benefit people in large towns and citys in the same way as any existing LLU provider does.

As such a service would likely be ADSL it would not be available anywhere you can get Sky via sat dish as the OP seems to mistakenly believe....this is certainly not who they operate in the UK.

Advertisement