Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moped Licence- help please

• 03-03-2010 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a moped and information regarding the license is a bit confusing. Does anybody know the steps i need to take? i have a full car license but i think this is irrelevant. From what i can see, i need to:

1. apply for theory test and pass it
    2. then send off for provisional license
    3. after 6 months i can apply for full license

i have seen something about CBT compulsory basic training and this http://www.msa-ireland.com/courses.htm. are they the same thing? If anyone knows about this would really appreciate some advice on this and any other moped tips for beginners! Cheers:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

you pretty much have it all :

Get provisional licence (by doing theory test and paying fee)....pay for insurance and drive with a big red "L" on yer back.... apply for test and wait.

NOTE: if you sit your test using a moped you will only be allowed to drive a moped and not a real bike.

I need to get off my ass and get myself a bike and learn how to drive a motorbike before my licence expires this year (I have a provisional and a 125cc moped - but moped is sitting idle as I dont have insurance on it and from the quotes dont think I'll get insurance ...30yrs old and 5yrs NCB on a car 1yrs ncb on a bike ...quotes of €800+)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

That's pretty much it
    1. apply for theory test and pass it
    2. then send off for provisional license
    3. after 6 months i can apply for full license sit a driving test and pass it
    4. apply for full licence.

I don't think you can just get the M licence any more. If you think you might want something bigger than 50cc in future your better off going for an A licence.
    You can still get the moped and borrow or rent something for the test.

CBT is supposed to be coming but i dint think their doing it yet, Training would be good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 monkey brain

Thanks for that! so apply for theory test then licence. only want one for up to 125cc.

I can believe quotes are so expensive..did you have moped insurance before? i got a provisional quote off quinn direct for me and my boyfriend for about 500, but i must recheck as cannot be right, if your getting those type of quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 monkey brain

Hi Evil Monkey,

Thanks for that info. what did you mean "You can still get the moped and borrow or rent something for the test"?
    can i not do test on whatever moped i get? so you think this complusary based training is not introduced yet? good idea but quite expensive.

Hi Evil Monkey,

Thanks for that info. what did you mean "You can still get the moped and borrow or rent something for the test"?
    can i not do test on whatever moped i get? so you think this complusary based training is not introduced yet? good idea but quite expensive.

Some of the tests have a resstriction on what you can use.

An M licence (Moped) only lets you drive a 50cc that's what i thought you were looking for.
    To do an A test you need to do the test on a bike/moped bigger than 125cc. When you pass you are restricted for 2 years then can drive any bike.
    To do the A1 test you need to do the test on a 125cc bike/moped. When you pass you can only drive 125cc or less forever.
    I would recommend doing the A test and if whatever moped you get isint suitable for the test you can get one. Its just less hassle if you ever want a moped/bike bigger than 125cc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Don't sit the test on a moped, get a few lessons on a proper bike and pass it. You never know, you might want a bike later in which case having a licence already will be very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

PCPhoto wrote: »
    ...30yrs old and 5yrs NCB on a car 1yrs ncb on a bike ...quotes of €800+)

:eek:
    There goes my dreams of getting a bike again for my "mid-life crisis"! :mad:

MoodeRator wrote: »

I'm 22, got insured on a CB400 with first time provisional and no NCB for €1000 fully comp. Dunno where they pulled €800 for a moped from, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

MoodeRator wrote: »

But if you start now, you might just have finished jumping through the hoops by the time you reach your 'mid-life'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Some of the tests have a resstriction on what you can use.

An M licence (Moped) only lets you drive a 50cc that's what i thought you were looking for.
    To do an A test you need to do the test on a 250cc bike/moped or bigger. When you pass you are restricted for 2 years then can drive any bike.
    To do the A1 test you need to do the test on a 125cc bike/moped. When you pass you can only drive 125cc or less forever.
    I would recommend doing the A test and if whatever moped you get isint suitable for the test you can get one. Its just less hassle if you ever want a moped/bike bigger than 125cc.

I got an A license on a 180cc moped. So I think the numbers are off a little there, or they've changed the conditions.

• Advertisement

I got an A license on a 180cc moped. So I think the numbers are off a little there, or they've changed the conditions.

+1

The CC limitation for the A test is > 125cc. That's why you can't sit the test on a NSR125 etc.

Your right as KamiKazi says its >125cc
    Ill edit it to avoid confusion

Advertisement