Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coughing.

Options
  • 03-03-2010 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

I've been off cigarettes for 2 full days now and today will be my 3rd day off them.

I've been feeling good and am taking the odd piece of nicorette gum but this afternoon I've just been constantly coughing and am just wondering if this is a normal part of giving up.

When I did smoke I'd cough the odd time but nothing as bad as I've been experiencing today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

Hi!

TBH i don't have any words of wisdom to offer other than I had my last smoke on Sunday night too, so i'll be off them 3 days at the end of today. I'm coughing a bit but not that much. I was in a room full off smokers last night though and it was horrible being a non-smoker. The smoke just caught in my throat and i wasn't tempted at all to have one!

Anyway, best of luck. I feel quite strong at the moment and am trying to think as myself as non smoker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

That_Guy wrote: »
    I've been feeling good and am taking the odd piece of nicorette gum but this afternoon I've just been constantly coughing and am just wondering if this is a normal part of giving up.

Same as myself. I've been off 11days 16hours and the cough is gettings worse. The doc says it's normal, and can last a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Donny5 wrote: »
    Same as myself. I've been off 11days 16hours and the cough is gettings worse. The doc says it's normal, and can last a few weeks.

Appreciate that. Thanks. Was just a bit worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Off them now since the 2nd and yes, also coughing! And a dry scrapy throat!

So we're all quitting, how's it going? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Yeah a bad cough is perfectly normal for the first few weeks after giving up, it's basically your body getting rid of some of the crap in your lungs and throat. Some of the stuff I coughed up shortly after stopping was truly revolting!

Keep it up everyone, every day gets easier and easier and it's definitely worth it in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

My coughing kept going for 4 weeks. Granted it did ease up.

But just letting you know to expect that....

I'm off them over two months now. No coughing. Keep it up. It is so definitely worth it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'm on day 68 off the smokes - and the coughing is still there. It was worst in month 2 - felt like I was coughing up my lungs sometimes. And I still get fits of coughing - sometimes I get light-headed as a result. They're not as frequent now thankfully.

It's a good thing. It's your body rejecting all the crap that's built up inside it. Depending on how long you've smoked and how many (I was 40/day and smoking for 25+years) the coughing could last from 4 weeks to 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 PaddyW

I feel kinda worried now. I'm off 4 weeks and haven't coughed once! Uh oh

Just wondering how you're getting on ThatGuy? Seeing as if your still off them, your off them 10 days like myself!

I'm still not coughing much though i did cough up some crap earlier today. Feeling pretty good. I still have my moments of blind rage but i'm not taking them out on anyone and they are passing pretty quickly.

Generally, I just have this overwhelming feeling of missing my best friend a few times a day but i suppose that will pass too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

normal yeah.
    I think it's because smoking dries up your mucus membranes or something. When you stop smoking you start clearing the crap out. This is just my speculation - not something I know to be fact. I seem to get a runny nose too.

• Advertisement

pwd wrote: »
    normal yeah.
    I think it's because smoking dries up your mucus membranes or something. When you stop smoking you start clearing the crap out. This is just my speculation - not something I know to be fact. I seem to get a runny nose too.

I am sneezing, blowing my nose constantly too! Good to hear a similiar story from someone else!

Advertisement