Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spuds to go with Steak, help needed

Options
  • 03-03-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I have a fan oven, firstly. I read the thread on Steaks how to do them, what to do with them, and id like some advice if possible.

Below is what i have read and i am going to do. If i do the spuds for an hour in the oven with the heat dropping 40c after 30 mins, is an hour still a lot? Will my spuds burn, or do i need to just keep checking myself? I know the poster said that its very over-cook tolerant, still id like input and advice if possible.

"On the side I would do some Italian style roast potatoes: Cut the
    spuds up to bite sized chunks (roughly the same size now), and
    par-boil for 10-15 mins. Then put the spuds into a baking tray,
    sprinkle on some rosemary and pour a on little olive oil. Turn over
    with a spoon or somesuch so that the oil more or less coats the spuds,
    if the spud surface ruffles up a bit all the better. Roast in an oven
    at around 200c, for 30 mins lowering to ~160 for another 30 minutes.
    The good thing about this is that its very over-cook tolerant."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

One hour is wayyyy too long. Esp if they are par boiled! I'd say 20-30 mins max.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

thanks for the prompt response olaola :-)
    so 20-30 mins at 200c? that should do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

If they're par boiled for 10 mins - 30 mins at 220 would be more than enough. You'll easily see when they're done - nice and golden brown :D

thanks a million plates

thanks for the prompt response olaola :-)
    so 20-30 mins at 200c? that should do it?

Ah yeah - defo. Keep an eye on them and when they're golden as you want take them out. I'd say no longer than 30 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

A couple of peeled cloves of garlic mixed in with them would also go down a treat with the rosemary. Just remember to take them out when the spuds are cooked! Although - if you really like garlic - you could squash them up after they're cooked and mix in with the spuds. My mouth is watering just thinking about it :P

Was gorgeous with the garlic and rosemary, it really was. I think i could have left them in longer though. They weren't crispy or as crispy as id have liked. That was par boil 10 minutes and 30 minutes in at 220C.
    I think ill go for 40 minutes next time. Trial and error as they say. People's cookers are different etc
    Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Hope ye don't mind my asking- do you wrap tinfoil loosely over the potatoes before they go in the oven?

pog it wrote: »
    Hope ye don't mind my asking- do you wrap tinfoil loosely over the potatoes before they go in the oven?

If you want them to crisp, then don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This is a thing I often come across and it puzzles me how people can have good crispy roast potatoes in half an hour.

I always allow an hour @ 180 - 200 to make roast spuds nice and crispy and golden (I usually par boil them too) and people love my roast potatoes.

Do people really get good roasties in half an hour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This is a thing I often come across and it puzzles me how people can have good crispy roast potatoes in half an hour.

I always allow an hour @ 180 - 200 to make roast spuds nice and crispy and golden (I usually par boil them too) and people love my roast potatoes.

Do people really get good roasties in half an hour?
    They seem to be cutting the spuds into chunks. I'd give 'whole spud' roasties an hour at 200C to get them nice and crispy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

kylith wrote: »
    They seem to be cutting the spuds into chunks. I'd give 'whole spud' roasties an hour at 200C to get them nice and crispy.

yes but cutting them up will only make them cook through faster- it would make little difference to how quickly they would crisp and brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭KaiserMc

The method I find that works well for roast potatoes, is to halve the potatoes( cut them all roughly the same size) put in to boiling water and leave for ten minutes as your doing this heat the oil in the roasting pan in the oven at 200 c, after ten minutes take the potatoes off the heat,drain and with the lid on the pot shake them around a bit ( makes them fluffy looking).

Take the pan out of the oven roll the potatoes in the hot oil and season,put back in the oven ,reduce heat to 180 and leave for forty minutes,no need to turn the potatoes.

Advertisement