Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weights

• 03-03-2010 4:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I am sure this has been thrashed out before but which do most people prefer? Integrated weights or a weight belt?
    I tried one of them cumerbunds with the leadshot packs and found it much more stable and comfortable than the standard weightbelt.
    I never tried a integrated weight BCD though. So the time has come to go BCD shopping and I need some advice from the exalted users of this forum.:D

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I've never dived with integrated weights but I'd say try borrow someone's integrated BCD and try it out for a dive or two first.

I find one of these weightbelts much more comfortable than the basic strap, cost €15 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Used both in the past. Personally not a fan of integrated. I have experienced too many divers loosing pouches in the middle of dives because they haven't correctly inserted their integrated weights. Whether that is the divers fault, their buddy or the design,I don't know, I just think they are problematic.
    Plus some of the "quick" release designs are not all together that quick at all really.

I think KISS (Keep it simple stupid). A bog standard weight belt, scubapro do a great one with a relatively narrow webbing which allows for easy weight manipulation also comes with a steel buckle, which is a must.

http://www.deepbluedive.com/department/weights-belts/scubapro/product/scubapro-weight-belt-metal-buckle/427383

What is the point of a plastic buckle when you drop your weight belt to the ground or leave it in the boat only to find that someone has thrown their scuba unit on top of it?

Plus a pack of weight retainers from beaver (3-4 euro and the only product I'd buy off them). Essential.

If you are considering integrated, make sure that check what is the max weight that each pouch will take. Some of the cheaper BCD's are designed for warmer waters, thus will hold less weight so you may have to buy a belt after all too....or worse find yourself loosing your pouch. You may also want to check the cost of replacing a pouch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Personally from my short diving career i prefer the belt to integrated. and really for 1 reason, at the end of dive i can drop my weight belt easily before i get out of the water and climb up the rocks to my exit point and collect it when i am ready,

but as i get more proficient that may change. Plus a belt and 4 5 weights is easier/cheaper/quicker to replace that the bcd pockets.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

If using a drysuit maybe an integrated but if using wetsuit get a rubber belt and wear it lower down on the hips. Wont budge/slip when your head down or deeper and suit is compressed and is very comfortable imho.

If using a drysuit maybe an integrated but if using wetsuit get a rubber belt and wear it lower down on the hips. Wont budge/slip when your head down or deeper and suit is compressed and is very comfortable imho.

Out of curiosity, why integrated with a dry suit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

loctite wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why integrated with a dry suit?

A tight wieght belt around the waist of a drysuit will prevent movement of air between legs and torso of the suit.

A tight wieght belt around the waist of a drysuit will prevent movement of air between legs and torso of the suit.

... I was thinking that maybe the reason for the post, but have never had that problem myself, was just asking if there was any other reason for it.....

I've also found a skin tight drysuit and a beer gut can also cause a squeeze around the backs of the legs too......

Advertisement