Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veal?

Options
  • 03-03-2010 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Ok, so I know it's "ethically wrong," and I don't want to offend any veggies/ animal rights people out there, but does anyone know where I can get hold of veal fillets in Galway for Friday?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Call in to a couple of butchers?

I'm sure most could get it for you if they don't have it in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

Tried the butcher's downstairs in the Eyre Square shopping centre (who are usually very good!) They said they didn't have it, couldn't order it, and don't know where in Galway has any... I don't have the car today, but will tomorrow, so will pop around to a few more butchers with fingers crossed... but if anyone can point me in the right direction in the mean time, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Ethically wrong?

More like ethically delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Try Artisan.
    They'll even cook it for you, serve it & wash up after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Ethically wrong?

Ethically delicious?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ethically delicious?

Probably meant ethnically delicious. ;)

Ethically wrong?

yum, I know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

aldi does it , frozen veal steaks. divilly on westside does it as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Any butcher can get you and meat you are looking for, they just might need a few days notice.

Weather it be osterich, crocodile, veal or venison, they can all get them.

Divileys out west side are handy for ordering in specialty meats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd check the butchers in some of the smaller towns, there's one in Dunmore that slaughters it's own cattle so you may be able to get it from someone like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

This reminds me... I haven't made Wiener Schnitzel in aaages...

Seaneh wrote: »
    Any butcher can get you and meat you are looking for, they just might need a few days notice.

Weather it be osterich, crocodile, veal or venison, they can all get them.

Divileys out west side are handy for ordering in specialty meats.

Omg didn't know that. Will have to ask them for something special, once I figure out what I want to try!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I love veal

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Morton's in Lower Salthill.

BTW the veal you can buy here is raised differently to the ethically dubious variety AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Why is Veal not ethically good? Im not up on all my ethics!

On the continent they keep the calves in crates instead of out in the fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

waiting on the "the poor baby calf :(". always get that reaction whenever i order it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Bambi ....

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

unJustMary wrote: »
    Bambi ....

:rolleyes:

....is a dear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Yup, but it's what I've heard an incredible number of people say when veal is mentioned. Finer details don't matter to some!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

"The poor baby calf". I feel just as guilty eating veal as I do when I eat a lamb chop. Which means, I dont feel guilty at all.

I dont see the problem with eating veal, its the same as eating lamb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LYNX2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'll see your....
    LYNX2000 wrote: »

and raise you.....
    veal-chop-recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

LYNX2000 wrote: »

That made me hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

cooperguy wrote: »
    Why is Veal not ethically good? Im not up on all my ethics!

Some veal is raised in crates in inhumane conditions. According to Wikipedia: "Criticism with veal crates revolves around the facts that the veal calves are highly restricted in movement, have unsuitable flooring, spend their entire lives indoors, experience prolonged sensory, social, and exploratory deprivation, and are more susceptible to high amounts of stress and disease."

However, although this practice continues in the USA, it has been banned in the EU since 2007. Veal is an inevitable by-product of dairy farming, buy and eat it with a clear conscience and a nice drop of vino. :)

thanks everyone! Mortons of Galway had it! €14 for just over a lb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I've eaten Irish, French & German veal, and I gotta say Irish veal is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

padraig71 wrote: »
    Some veal is raised in crates in inhumane conditions. According to Wikipedia: "Criticism with veal crates revolves around the facts that the veal calves are highly restricted in movement, have unsuitable flooring, spend their entire lives indoors, experience prolonged sensory, social, and exploratory deprivation, and are more susceptible to high amounts of stress and disease."

Replace the word veal with chicken and you have the exact same story. I'm not saying its right (food chicken raising is an absolute disgrace) but I just cant understand why its so terribly wrong to eat veal when eating any type of meat can be described under the exact same headings.

Advertisement