Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on setting up a post production house

Options
  • 03-03-2010 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello,

I am thinking of setting up a new post (Audio & Video) house in dublin or maybe the west galway? I have recently returned from working in London for a top audio house.

Ideally it will consist of 2 video edit suites , 1 audio edit suite, 1 x 5.1 dolby cert audio room...running pro tools with ICOn control. FCP video.

It will be young creative ppl involved.

Any thoughts? Do you think its crazy in the current eco climate??

Any F/b greatly appreicated

thepostoffice;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

There's a lot of competition out there.
    http://www.4rfv.co.uk/brieflisting.asp?scategory=202&region=4&Submit.x=28&Submit.y=7

good luck anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Surly

Don't know about West Galway but several post houses in Dublin have closed down over the last year or so, and several others have had to make cuts in staff and pay. Long-established, reputable companies, one and all.

It seems to me that business is a little better for the audio guys; if you were to set up a new company you might fare better focusing there, especially considering your background. Having said that, it's obviously still going to be difficult to take any business away from the already-established houses.

Also, and it's just my own observation, there appears to be a decline in the demand for offline editing suites, as it's currently so affordable for production companies to set up their own. If you insist on having a couple of video editing suites it'd be worth your while to make sure they're online- and grading-capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Any F/b greatly appreicated

To be honest........
    I have recently returned from working in London for a top audio house.

I'd head back there if I were you:(.

The AV industry is just far too small in Ireland and right now there are loads of people clambering for the same work. To succeed in Ireland you will need to be ultra-competitive and have plenty of contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

It will be young creative ppl involved.

Any thoughts?

Young? Why? Do young people have the jump on older people when it comes to the experience of running a business in, let's face it, very tough times for the industry? Have you any clients, any jobs lined up? Any prospect of contracts either long or short term, any leads on productions that might be coming up? How many FCP suites are in the country? How many people produce their own stuff on, say, garageband and mix it at home? Does it get uploaded to the internet anyway?

Just a few Qs to prick your mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 cyberfitnessgur

I use Sony vegas on a home PC and make magic happen!

• Advertisement
Advertisement