Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature students with small kids

Options
  • 03-03-2010 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,everyone!!!Just wondering if there many mature students doing full time degree courses while trying to look after kids,having family commitments etc.Iam thinking of starting uni next year degree full time study.Is this possible?How hard is(was it) it for you? Maby any special advise or tips on how manage family and study ?Or is it just too much stress to do both at the same time?I love stydying,have a good memory and a quick learner,but i still dont want my family to suffer because of me putting too much time and energy into stydy.
    PS i read somebodys post about studying and having 4 kids-totally inspirational,but not sure if i would be able to cope as well though

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Natallia wrote: »
    PS i read somebodys post about studying and having 4 kids-totally inspirational,but not sure if i would be able to cope as well though

you wont know until you try, everyones different what one person can put up with makes another scream with stress, ask your self how much you NEED to do it, then ask yourself how much you WANT to do it, and if there is a big difference then reconsider, otherwise give it a go!

there was another mature student in my class, and they put the rest of us to shame with the commitments they had, and I can tell you my course is very demanding and time consuming.

Also you didnt bring the kids to work, and uni usually finishes before work hours or so, only thing is weekends to think of, is your course likely to be end of term tests, or have a BIG part of it as continious assesment requiring hours and hours on the weekends too, weigh it all up and then just go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Natallia wrote: »
    Hi,everyone!!!Just wondering if there many mature students doing full time degree courses while trying to look after kids,having family commitments etc.Iam thinking of starting uni next year degree full time study.Is this possible?How hard is(was it) it for you? Maby any special advise or tips on how manage family and study ?Or is it just too much stress to do both at the same time?I love stydying,have a good memory and a quick learner,but i still dont want my family to suffer because of me putting too much time and energy into stydy.

Hi Natallia,
    I think I'm the mature student you have referred to. I'm in my 2nd year studying science. My 4 kids are aged between 8 and 16 and yes it can be tough at times but I'm managing well. Got A's in 2 exams at christmas and a B in another.
    For myself it has been made easier by the fact that my husband is at home full time and is wonderful about the house. I will PM you as I don't want to get into too much detail here!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Natallia

Thank you for your replies guys:)And especially you fluffy-would be looking forward for your reply in my PM:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Hi natalia,
    I'm just starting out. I'm doing a full time 9-4 fetac course at the moment. Hoping to go to Trinity in September.
    I went back to school last september 09. I had preciously been at home with my four children until then. Hadn't worked for 11 years.
    I haven't regretted a day. You know the hardest part for me to get used to was letting the house work go. Even at weekends I can sometimes see that the stair carpet is going to get up and go out the back to shake itself off for lack of hoovering, but I just have learned to ignore it and I've realised that a spotless house isn't going to get me my grade. If you can work through letting the chores go then I think it is doable for us women with kids.
    The fetac course was great for me to put my toe in the water , so to speak, and see can I meet deadlines etc. My kids are still happy, oh theyre getting more excercise now as my 10 and 11 year olds have to walk to school now. If I can't make a school meeting etc I just reschedule. All in all I find once you tell people what youre doing they can , in the majority, be very supportive. Except in my case, my mam thinks I should be at home with my kids, but she's old school. I've learned to ignore her snide remarks. Also My husband is 110% behind me and he helps out a lot more and he works full time.
    Go for it girl if you have the support of a good partner who will help you out at weekends, you're halfway there.
    I find too my kids are getting more and more independent too.
    :):):) Best Of Luck:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Natallia

Ell,thank you very much for your support and fair play to you for getting back to education!!!!Would be a bit hard for me to let the house go though:):)but i will manage iam sure-will let my husband to hoover:)Its nice to know though that iam not crazy with my idea of going to uni while having family and commitments etc.Well done guyes!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Hi Natallia,

I am a first year university student with two young children of six and three. Everything is going extremely well for me so far, but in oder for this to happen a couple of things have slipped. Housework and catching up with friends will have to wait till June. My friends all understand and myself and my husband keep the house ticking over but it will be blitzed in June!

I would also say that the timing has to be right for you. This was the perfect year for me to start in terms of having all the support I needed in place, feeling my children were well settled in school and at home, and feeling completely motivated myself.

Many of the things you are worrying about you just can't figure out till it is all happening. I honestly can't believe how smoothly it has all gone as my course (Music) is quite demanding time wise, with one night a week and two weekends away taken up with ensemble rehearsals, on top of course work. I really worried about the home-logistics for those weekends away, and guess what...it all just happened. There is always a solution.

I'm not saying it's always easy but it is 100% worth it and provides great inspiration for your children also.

Best of luck!

Advertisement