Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for fruit and veg around the city

Options
  • 03-03-2010 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭

I purchased alot of stuff from the fruit and veg store in terryland at the weekend. Was good quality and decent price. Does anyone know how they compare to ,say, the one at the shopping center beside kozzys or the one in ballybane beside the supervalu. Any good bargins in either of these?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The guy beside kozzys is great help.

When I;m making a ragu I go to him a few days before and tell him I'll need about 4-5 kg of tomatoes, type not important as long as they aren't too small.

He says "come back thursday" I go back thursday and he will have picked out all the over ripe/soft ones nobody will buy, all the ones that are slightly bruised or have marks on the skin and any that just look weird so people won't take them.

normally if i was for 4-5kg I end up with a fair bit over that, and he charged me about half his normal price, he gets rid of stock he wouldnt sell otherwise and I don't care what they look like as they are going to be peeled, seeded, chopped and cooked for 14 hours so it doesnt matter to me.

Terrible nice fella.

The place down around the corner from the blue note is good too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

LowOdour wrote: »
    I purchased alot of stuff from the fruit and veg store in terryland at the weekend. Was good quality and decent price. Does anyone know how they compare to ,say, the one at the shopping center beside kozzys or the one in ballybane beside the supervalu. Any good bargins in either of these?

Go to both of those this weekend and let us know how they compare.
    I tend to get my greens at Terryland after I check the weekly specials at Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

hey Seaneh. Would you care to pm me your recipe for that ragu. Got a relative that gives me loads of tomatoes that he grows himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

The veg shop at the Sally Longs corner - opposite LaSalsa is very good and much much cheaper than Dunnes or Tesco. I find Lidl very good for veg too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I like JohnO next to Kozzy's at the shopping centre, sound bloke and good veg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

foto joe wrote: »
    The veg shop at the Sally Longs corner - opposite LaSalsa is very good and much much cheaper than Dunnes or Tesco.

My experience there was that quality is ok (and only ok), and prices are steep. Obviously you've had better experiences than me.

Ernie on Sea Rd, and his cousin (or whatever) on Shop St: quality is high, prices are steep. ('tis bugging me that I can't remember their name right now!)

Haven't found anywhere that mates Terryland on the quality X price combination. But Lidl does beat them on price on enough things that I don't go anywhere else these days :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I saw a Dispatches programme in 2009 called something like Eating Through The Recession. They checked the quality of fruit and veg amongst other things like pre packed chicken, etc., but the quality of the tomatoes from Aldi were the lowest in antioxidants & nutrients. Apparently, the likes of Aldi can sell fruit and veg. cheap as they enhance the ripening process to the detriment of the nutrients in the food.

So basically, the fruit & veg. may look ripe on the outside but haven't developed properly in relation to nutrients. IMO I would rather pay the bit extra and get proper fruit & veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The markets is best for it imo, you can speak to the producer etc.
    Mind, the Terryland one is good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Anyone order the organic veg boxes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

Have to say that I find Lidl fruit and veg very good quality. A German friend says that they place very high standards on their suppliers, and they're out if they don't meet these.

• Advertisement

Magnus wrote: »
    The markets is best for it imo, you can speak to the producer etc.

Call me a cynic, but I'm guessing that the lads selling oranges, bananas etc at the market didn't grow 'em.

Another contender is Mr Beans: he was in the market that Eyre Square Centre set up in that space beside the old wall, but got moved into a shop on the down-ramp near the Eyre Square entrance when the giant angels were around. I looks like he's making himself pretty comfortable in there now.

Not sure about price or quality, but surely he'll be better than Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

unJustMary wrote: »
    My experience there was that quality is ok (and only ok), and prices are steep. Obviously you've had better experiences than me.

Ernie on Sea Rd, and his cousin (or whatever) on Shop St: quality is high, prices are steep. ('tis bugging me that I can't remember their name right now!)

Haven't found anywhere that mates Terryland on the quality X price combination. But Lidl does beat them on price on enough things that I don't go anywhere else these days :-(

I used to shop there very regularly when I lived in that part of town... I think it was Tuesdays they used to get the veg in fresh... next time you're in just ask because they don't get daily deliveries so if you get the end of a batch the quality will have dropped.

At least it's good to see the veg does go off - unlike some of the Lidl/Aldi veg! Forgot about an Aldi loaf of white bread in a press for nearly a month before... it was grand!!

I found that veg shop very cheap for loose items (onions, peppers, mushrooms, broc etc), and pricey for prepacked stuff (mini sweetcorn etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

unJustMary wrote: »
    Call me a cynic, but I'm guessing that the lads selling oranges, bananas etc at the market didn't grow 'em.

Obviously ...

There are a few stalls towards the Deelys side of the market that are local produce. The problem with fruit and veg is it varies so much from week to week actually more like day to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Wait til Saturdays and buy local fresh veg (soil still on) off a couple of the venders in the market in town (they sell out fast though so not sure if they're there on Sundays or not).

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

The vege folks aren't in the market on Sundays. I also kinda like my veggie sellers to display prices and use scales: got sick of being ripped off 'cos I have the wrong accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Does anyone know what happened to the lad beside aldi in westside?

I found him cheap and good quality, especially for eggs. He also had a €5 student deal going as well for a mixture of stuff.

Now he seems to have shut up shop!

Advertisement