Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does RAM improve the speed of ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

more ram will make it quicker.

The NC10 has a much better camera. Thats about it.
    Notebook Camera - Integrated - 1.3 Megapixel
    versus
    Notebook Camera - Integrated - 0.3 Megapixel

depending on your self esteem, maybe a lower pixel count might suite better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

more ram will make it quicker.

The NC10 has a much better camera. Thats about it.
    Notebook Camera - Integrated - 1.3 Megapixel
    versus
    Notebook Camera - Integrated - 0.3 Megapixel

depending on your self esteem, maybe a lower pixel count might suite better!

actually i told lies there.
    the NC10 doesnt seem to have wireless ?? burn that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

actually i told lies there.
    the NC10 doesnt seem to have wireless ?? burn that.

The NC10 has wireless.

And yes, more RAM generally shows results. Definitely if you feel like running Vista or WIndows 7 on your machine but you'll see a speed increase from 1 to 2 with Windows XP as well (aside, a 2GB stick of RAM from the likes of crucial will cost you about 30 euros).

Realistically though, both netbooks listed above come with the N270 chip rather than the newer N450 chip, which is likely to be faster (1.66Ghz or 1.83Ghz depending on which you get as opposed to the N270s which top out at 1.6Ghz) as well as significantly lower on power use (about 44% lower) which may give you an extra few hours of battery. The newer ones should be in the same price bracket as the ones you've listed so I'd check that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Every netbook has wireless internet. And yes in this case more RAM will give some increase in speed when running more apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

sceptre wrote: »
    The NC10 has wireless.

What are you gentleman referring to when you are speaking of 'wireless'? Are you speaking of the computers ability to pick up wireless internet? Sure i presume every computer/netbook on the market has the ability to pick up wireless internet.

So really in summary the NC10 is slightly better, but because the white is a bit sexier they are charging more for that?

• Advertisement

The NC10 has wireless.

And yes, more RAM generally shows results. Definitely if you feel like running Vista or WIndows 7 on your machine but you'll see a speed increase from 1 to 2 with Windows XP as well (aside, a 2GB stick of RAM from the likes of crucial will cost you about 30 euros).

Realistically though, both netbooks listed above come with the N270 chip rather than the newer N450 chip, which is likely to be faster (1.66Ghz or 1.83Ghz depending on which you get as opposed to the N270s which top out at 1.6Ghz) as well as significantly lower on power use (about 44% lower) which may give you an extra few hours of battery. The newer ones should be in the same price bracket as the ones you've listed so I'd check that out.

You've lost me there pal! Should i be getting a newer brand of netbook is it? Or are you saying that they are screwing me by selling me a netbook with a slow chip? Where as tis standard now to have a N450 chip?

macca1983 wrote: »
    You've lost me there pal! Should i be getting a newer brand of netbook is it? Or are you saying that they are screwing me by selling me a netbook with a slow chip? Where as tis standard now to have a N450 chip?
    They're not screwing you but yes, newer ones are available. I don't know what your last sentence means but the chip, which was released a few weeks ago, is already available in a number of netbooks, including some from Samsung (notably the Samsung N150 netbook, which should in the same price range, though laptopsdirect don't seem to have it). I'd get the newer one given that it shouldn't cost any more or much more.
    What are you gentleman referring to when you are speaking of 'wireless'? Are you speaking of the computers ability to pick up wireless internet?
    Yes. Well, access a wireless network to be precise.
    Sure i presume every computer/netbook on the market has the ability to pick up wireless internet.
    Most of them do. Not necessarily all. But all the netbooks would come with it.

They're not screwing you but yes, newer ones are available. I don't know what your last sentence means but the chip, which was released a few weeks ago, is already available in a number of netbooks, including some from Samsung (notably the Samsung N150 netbook, which should in the same price range, though laptopsdirect don't seem to have it). I'd get the newer one given that it shouldn't cost any more or much more.

Yes. Well, access a wireless network to be precise.

Most of them do. Not necessarily all. But all the netbooks would come with it.

Thank you for all the answers!

So i see the NC150 for €329 on Pixmania.

Would i better off getting the NC10 and upgrade to 2GB, or would i better off with the NC150 altogether?

Thank you for all the answers!

So i see the NC150 for €329 on Pixmania.

Would i better off getting the NC10 and upgrade to 2GB, or would i better off with the NC150 altogether?
    Personally I'd go for the N150 (which is available in white for a tenner cheaper (@ €319) on pixmania as well if you like the white).

Advertisement