Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up problem - help needed

Options
  • 03-03-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all. I just switched from eircom to digiweb. I was using Netgear DG834 along with WG602 as my setup (PC and xBox on LAN, second PC and laptop on wifi). Now, digiweb supplied me with Thomson THG520. And now a problem - instead of wireless access point and two LAN sockets I have one LAN socket and USB. I tried connecting first PC to USB, but it seems windows 7 needs some additional drivers for that. For wifi, I can always connect WG602 to spare LAN socket, but first I need to find a spare one. Anyway, it wouldn't resolve my problem, as I still need another LAN socket for xbox.

What I thought of: I can't use DG834 as hub, but I can do it with Netopia 2247 supplied by eircom (I have 2247NWG and 2247-62). I would connect it to Thomson and this way I would have 4 LANs and wifi instead of one LAN. Now the question - how to set up Netopia? I remember doing this with another Thomson, from Smart, some time ago. And it was very easy. Now, they changed these settings a little bit and I'm lost. What should I do? Help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

You can use your current setup, just change your internet username and password in the modem to what your new isp gave you.
    Not familiar with your modem, but if it's like the netopia I have it should be in advanced>wan.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tamlinek

Thx Nollog, but it won't work. DG834 is a DSL modem for phone line. Digiweb supplied me with metro service, which has a cable modem, THG520, without an option to log in. Therefore I need to use Thomson and have ethernet hub attached to it (and here I want to use Netopia).

Anybody?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

tamlinek wrote: »
    Thx Nollog, but it won't work. DG834 is a DSL modem for phone line. Digiweb supplied me with metro service, which has a cable modem, THG520, without an option to log in. Therefore I need to use Thomson and have ethernet hub attached to it (and here I want to use Netopia).

Anybody?

What you need to buy is a new wireless router without a dsl modem integrated. Linksys wrt54gl or one of the netgear ones should suit fine.

http://netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_cable_routers.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

tamlinek wrote: »

Anybody?

Ah, I see.
    If the usb modem they gave you doesn't get power from the usb port you could try a usb to ethernet adapter and plug it into your router where the netgear went, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tamlinek

Nollog wrote: »
    Ah, I see.
    If the usb modem they gave you doesn't get power from the usb port you could try a usb to ethernet adapter and plug it into your router where the netgear went, maybe.

It's not USB modem, it's normal cable modem with external power source, you can connect PC to it through LAN socket or USB. The problem is with setting up netopia (it doesn't matter if I connect it to LAN or USB-to-LAN adapter) to act as wifi router.

Here's what I have:

http://wpetrus.developpez.com/divers/thg520/
    dub45 wrote: »
    What you need to buy is a new wireless router without a dsl modem integrated. Linksys wrt54gl or one of the netgear ones should suit fine.

http://netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_cable_routers.php

Yeah, I know, that's the easiest way. I was just thinking that someone could help me with netopia settings, since I have two of them already. It should be possible, I just can't replicate the settings I used then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Forget the Netopia as it's a DSL modem, and not suited to what you want to do. You cannot set it up as a router on the Metro connection, it just won't work.

You need a proper router for this, there's no other choice.

Advertisement