Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Path in the Garden

Options
  • 03-03-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi guys,

because the grass and ground is very muddy in our garden I was wondering if there is a way of making a path. I was thinking from the house to the shed... But I dont know if it should ne wood or stone I think stone looks nicer. Is it easy? Because I would like to do it myself as I love doing DIY stuff and all that and what would be the easiest way to create little stairs to get to shed as it is a bit high up on blocks.

Thanks in advanced.

Janine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wildlandscape

hi Janine,

a gravel path would be the easiest option however stone would be the best for durability too. Wood becomes slippy over time and rots.

To create a path, dig away the grass along the route and level the ground using pegs. (place pegs - small wooden off cuts - into the ground along the edge of the path and place a plank over the tops of the pegs. Then find the level using the spirit level). Add sharp sand, level again and its ready for paving or stone. There are many sites that give excellent DIY advice on making paths and how much is dug away but this is short cut I use for small little paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Janine,
    I'm in the process of just getting ready to put paths down in my garden. If you search through some of my more recent mails, they might be some help.

Basically you don't just need a path, drainage seems to be an issue.

My garden is sloped so I'm going to rotivate and then put in a soak pit and three french drains running to that. Only then will I put my paths down.

I'm hoping to put down cobbles. Basically you dig 6" to 9" down. Then pack with hard core, then use a whacker plate to level that. Then pack with sand. then lay your cobbles. Then sweep a mixture of dry cement and sand in between the cobbles.

Good luck, maybe post a few pictures and let us know how you're going with it.

Advertisement