Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Still eligible for school place 2010 Greystones?

Options
  • 03-03-2010 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there,
    I've recently moved into the area and wondering what are my chances like of getting my daughter into a local school in September ? She'll be 5 in the summer.
    Are the schools really oversubscribed ?
    I was looking at St. Kevin's, St. Laurence's or St. Brigid's.

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

As far as I know and I do stand to be corrected on this but, if you are living in the catchment area you have to get a place. I think it is June when the Catholic schools take names, so I think you have enough time.

This might be a stupid question, but, have you rung the schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

MrsA wrote: »
    As far as I know and I do stand to be corrected on this but, if you are living in the catchment area you have to get a place. I think it is June when the Catholic schools take names, so I think you have enough time.

June enrollment to start in September? I hardly think so. AFAIK Laurences, Kevins and Bridgets (and St. Patricks though it's CofI) all operate a joint enrollment policy and take names the previous November.

There's also the Educate Together school and the Gaelscoil - as mentioned you'd probably want to ring them directly, you've left it very late for starting this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Free a Nipper

Hi thanks for the replies,

I sent in the applications last November and was told(verbally) I had a place last December. I have now moved into the area with my new address and now I've been told there is no place, but I should call back after Easter :confused:

I know the schools are prone to oversubsciption - has the opening of the 2 new schools appeased that some what ?
    Can children be offered places up until the summer ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

I don't think the 2 new schools have made much difference. The educate together school operates a different enrolment policy to the other schools-they put names on a list and it's first come first served. You can put your child's name down from birth. The Gaelscoil has been very popular, I heard that they had at least 2 applications for each place available in November when they took applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

I really thought that once you lived in the area one of the schools are obliged to give your child a place? Perhaps contact one of the school principals, as far as i know the 3 principals of st. Kevins, Brigids & Laurences are in touch all the time regarding numbers and placements?

Best of luck with it hope you get the outcome you hope for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the catholic schools operate an enrolment policy that gives priority to

1. Baptised members of the parish
    2. Other children in the catchment area
    3. Catholics from other areas
    4. Non-catholics from other areas.

actually, 2 and 3 may be the other way around, but if you're applying from outside the local area you will be quite far down the list. Might be worth contacting the Dept. of Education for some guidance as to what you can do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭sasmac

You may find that the reason that you got accepted and then refused was that your daughter is 5 in the summer and they will give preference to older children.
    As somebody said ring the school and confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Does St Patricks really have the same enrolment form as the other 3, I thought the Catholic ones were all one, and they themselves decided which one they could fit you into. How does the COI one fit in? Can you apply to the COI one on its own?

I think the state is "obliged" (God I hate that word) to provide an education once a child reaches the age of 6.

We have had our son's name down for the Educate Together since he was 3 weeks old, I have heard so many bad stories from there that I am not sure we will send him there anymore, I need to explore other options for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭neets

MrsA wrote: »
    Does St Patricks really have the same enrolment form as the other 3, I thought the Catholic ones were all one, and they themselves decided which one they could fit you into. How does the COI one fit in? Can you apply to the COI one on its own?

I think the state is "obliged" (God I hate that word) to provide an education once a child reaches the age of 6.

We have had our son's name down for the Educate Together since he was 3 weeks old, I have heard so many bad stories from there that I am not sure we will send him there anymore, I need to explore other options for him.

St Patricks and Delgany National School (COI) assess applications jointly but you apply separately. We applied for both and our son was given a place in Delgany National School as Charlesland is in the catchment area for this school. We were turned down for a place in St Patricks as we were outside their catchment area. Our son was christened in Greystones Presbyterian and so qualified for a place as he's Protestant. I'm not sure how difficult it is to get a place otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Greystones Educate together is having an Open Day on Saturday April 10th. It's from 1pm to 4pm and further info is on the school website: www.greystoneset.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement