Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FoolProof Bernaise Sauce

Options
  • 03-03-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭

I'm after falling in love with Bernaise sauce after having it recently on holiday.:pac:

Could anyone suggest a tried and tested easy recipe please?

Also is it safe to keep in the fridge and for how long?:confused:

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I adore bernaise, could eat it till it comes out my ears.

This is the recipe I use, although I use freeze-tried tarragon, as I find the fresh tarragon too overpowering.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/steak-with-bernaise-recipe/index.html

It's never as nice the next day. I'd only make as much as you'll use in one sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

For the hollandaise - I but one egg yolk into a pot with a dash of water. Whisk up - now it's better if you have gas as it's much easier to control the heat. I chop up the butter into small squares and just add one square at a time. Wait until it has melted and add the next. Lemon to taste.

NOW! The most important thing, make sure the pot is always cool enough to put your hand on the outside. When you're finished - if it's too watery, you can turn the heat up and thicken it. Be careful while doing this bit though!

If I'm making bearnaise - I put white wine vinegar, tarragon & shallots in the pan first - cook and reduce down. And let cool before you add the egg yolk. (or you can pour it into a cool pot)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I use a slight variation of this recipe: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516212

2 tbsp tarragon vinegar or white wine vinegar
    1 small shallots, finely diced
    2 tsp tarragon, leaves chopped, stalks reserved
    2 egg yolks
    150g butter, melted
    1 pinch of salt & black pepper

1. In a small stainless steel pan, place the tarragon vinegar, diced shallots and the tarragon stalks.

2. Bring to the boil and cook off until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Strain and add to whisked egg yolks in a bowl.

3. Place bowl over steaming water and whisk until eggs start to change from clear to opaque. Remove from heat.

4. Very slowly, add the melted butter, mixing well as you do so and leaving behind any residue from the melted butter.

5. Mix in the freshly chopped tarragon. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and serve with steak cooked to taste.

I always remove the eggs from the heat when adding the butter, as the eggs have cooked off already you don't need the heat. If it's too thick when adding the butter add a tablespoon or 2 of water.

I had trouble trying to mix it over the heat due to it getting far too thick or splitting, the above method is a lot easier imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 goldfish6483

bearnaise is a difficult sauce to cook as it can "split" i know if you have kids or a husband its difficult to be in the kitchen without interuptions. i have found a great cheat though, the brand "erin" does them in the premade sauce pakets just popo in micro for 2 min transfer in serving dish and throw ou the package so know one knows u cheated. also, if possible in usa the made the powder packs of bearnaise, the knorr brand if u pop on amazon u find them all u do is add butter and milk, and most top resturants in usa use them, u cant get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Here's my super bearnaise cheat.

When I'm on my own I like Bearnaise with my steak, but being in a rush, I'v found the perfect cheat.

I use Knorr hollandaise sauce in a packet, add a little less liquid than recommended and then add frozen tarragon (or fresh if in polytunnel) and fresh parsley.

Stored tarragon loses it's flavour fast. Keep airtight and lightproof.
    I grow tarragon outdoors and in the polytunnel, it's also wonderful added to a summersalad, Make sure you use French tarragon rather than Russian. The Russian tarragon is more vigourous but has less taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Mine would be almost-identical to Mr. Magnolia's, except...

I add some cracked pepper-corns in with the shallot etc. at the start....and I use about a 50-50 mix of lemon and white wine vinegar.

Oh...it can also be quite nice to add a bit of chervil as well as tarragon...but not too much.

Advertisement