Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much inflation is to much?

• 03-03-2010 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

This is a simple question, how much inflation is to much?
    I think any inflation over 0% is to much since I think the destruction of purchasing power never can be a good thing. The way I see it inflation also distorts behavior and it encourages borrowing and consumption over savings.

What do you guys think, how much inflation is to much and how much is "healthy"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

SLUSK wrote: »
    This is a simple question, how much inflation is to much?
    It's a simple question but, unfortunately, there isn't a simple answer.

As for what I think is healthy? Below, but close to, 2% ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

As for what I think is healthy? Below, but close to, 2% ;)

What inflation numbers do you prefer? "core CPI" where food and fuel has been excluded?

What inflation numbers do you prefer? "core CPI" where food and fuel has been excluded?

HICP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

oh for the good old days:D Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913 + 1828)

In*fla"tion (?), n. [L. inflatio: cf. F. inflation.
    1. The act or process of inflating, or the state of being inflated, as with air or gas; distention; expansion; enlargement. Boyle.
    2. The state of being puffed up, as with pride; conceit; vanity. B. Jonson.</I>
    3.Undue expansion or increase, from overissue; -- said of currency. [U.S.]

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

A great deal of debate has gone on for centuries as to what is the optimum rate of inflation that will keep an economy growing streadily over long periods of time. The consensus as far I can discern is that less than 1% is sub optimal and less than 0% is disastrous. More than 3% is also not sustainable over lengthy periods. The great debate rages on in the range 1% to 3%. If national and personal debt is high nearer to 3% makes some sense. If prudence rules then closer to 1% is the ticket. There is a concept called the natural non inflating rate of unemployment which can range from 3% to 9% and is related to benefits such as the amount and length of unemployment benefits. A complex issue with at least a dozen answers per country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Like all the great science questions.

The inflation question is so very key to our society yet is so ill-understood outside of academic economics. It's really one of those things that needs to be explained in school, at least at a basic level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Productivity growth is deflationary but would be classed as a positive in economic terms. One issue I have is that for example if you had a model economy where private prices are dropping at -2% re above , State prices/services are rising at +4% and asset prices are rising at 10% , no alarm bells seem to go off as the official print will be a moderate 1% to2%?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Why are asset prices excluded from inflation numbers? Rapidly rising asset prices is a sign of inflation to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

What exactly happens when an economy grows? Demand for goods and services rise, employment rises, incomes rise and therefore producers can charge higher prices for goods and services - is this the main cause of inflation in a steadily growing economy?

nesf wrote: »
    Like all the great science questions.

eThe inflation question is so very key to our society yet is so ill-understood outside of academic economics. It's really one of those things that needs to be explained in school, at least at a basic level.

Oh great economist guy. Do tell me how much destruction of purchasing power is needed to keep the economy healthy and why do they never seem to include asset prices when they calculate inflation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Oh great economist guy. Do tell me how much destruction of purchasing power is needed to keep the economy healthy and why do they never seem to include asset prices when they calculate inflation?

Oh great and mighty troll pick a different target.

nesf wrote: »
    Oh great and mighty troll pick a different target.
    Why can't you answer a simple question? Since inflation essentially means the destruction of purchasing power I want to know how much destruction of purchasing power is necessary.

Why should it be economic policy to favour borrowing over saving? Because it really does not make sense to save any money when you have inflation, just borrow as much as you possibly can and let inflation eat away your mortgage.

Why can't you answer a simple question?
    He can, he just won't. I'm not surprised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement