Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volunteering in Africa

• 03-03-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey,
    I'm a student who is considering volunteering in Africa over the summer for about a month or so. I was wondering if anyone knows any projects that are relatively inexpensive to do (around €2000 all in -flights, food, accomm etc) and are non profit, I know i-to-i try and make a profit off you and I really want to avoid those types of companies.

Also, if anyone could let me know of projects that are popular with other Irish students that would be great cos I dont want to go somewhere completely on my own. I'm unskilled but would be more than happy to teach english or get involved in community projects.

My initial impulse is to go to South Africa but if other countries are better to go to please let me know! thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

If you're in Dublin drop in to Irish Aid's center on O'Connell street and they'll give you most of the information you'll need. They'll (probably) ask what you're interested in doing, for how long, and if you have any kind of experience/qualifications, and then point you in the direction of an organization.

And you could also check out these three: EIL, Camara, and the VSO. I'm pretty sure EIL and Camara are looking for people for the summer at the moment.

EDIT: Oh! Do this! with EIL. I love this, it's a really good volunteering program, and I want to do it, but I can't, so...you do it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I volunteered for 8 weeks in Ethiopia with VLM last summer. The group I went with were building houses but teaching is also an option. VLM's website is http://www.vlm.ie If you've any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them for ya. Oh, and it cost €3000 - but that inc. flights, accommodation, meals, vaccinations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 john374

Hi there,

When I finished my undergrad a couple of years back myself and a friend went to this school in Tanzania www.edmundricesinon.com. We didn't go through a company, just found them on the web and flew out after some mailing back and forth. Since we were finance graduates we taught math, economics and accounting. I'm also music orientated so brought out over 100 recorders and set up a music programme of sorts. I really couldn't recommend going here enough; a real experience. We lived in a traditional Massai Boma not far from the school (it's one of the schools houses). I think they look for people for no less than about 3 months - extremely rewarding when you can add back to the local community in some way. Local kids loved rugby balls and the randomness of the bounce it can take - simple fun. Was really had good banter at the same time; you can enjoy yourself when you're there - just never know what the next day will bring!! Good times! I know i to i and the likes give a supposed experience but I don't think that can compare to, for example, buy milk from one of the neighbours, eggs from another and just integrate yourself into local society for the time that you're there.

If you have subjects that you can use in a secondary school I reckon you'd be more than welcome if they have space in one of the school houses. It's a pretty malaria prone area (guy I went over with got a dose of it) but it's pretty safe also; the Massai tribe will really look out for the mzungu (white people) volunteers.

Hope this gives you a helpful idea. (Also - Can fly Virgin Airways from London for about £500 to Nairobi and get a bus to Arusha).

Any other questions just shout,

JD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

John, can I ask, how did you organise your visa? Did you require a visa for Tanzania?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 john374

Hi, we got tourist visas when we went - as it was volunteering and we didn't get any payment it was the way to go. At the airport they won't question it. As the school isn't very far from Kenya a border hop to Nairobi can easily be done in a day if staying for over three months to renew the tourist visa. Nobody at the school had working visas, they weren't necessary.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I volunteered for 8 weeks in Ethiopia with VLM last summer. The group I went with were building houses but teaching is also an option. VLM's website is http://www.vlm.ie If you've any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them for ya. Oh, and it cost €3000 - but that inc. flights, accommodation, meals, vaccinations etc.

I volunteered with VLM also for the past two summers, I was only in secondary school when I went and I was only there for two weeks both times. I would highly recommend it, very well run. I was teaching English and I found it to be one of the best experiences of my life. VLM do training weekends before you go which cover health, insurance, and advice for the area you will be working in. VLM is a religious organisation so you will most likely be stayin with Daughters of Charity or Vincentian Priests over in Ethiopia. If your not religious do not let this put you off, their is no emphasis on religion, you just have to be respectful of the religion of your hosts. I would really recommend VLM, professionally run both here and in Ethiopia. You will have a great experience, the Ethiopian people are amongst the friendliest in the world. I never once felt under threat or uneasy around them. VLM is definetly worth a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cclittlec

Thanks for all the info guys! VLM sounds good but there is no way i could raise 3000e at the moment cos Im busy studying for finals. Im sure ill figure something out, thanks so much for all your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bco

cclittlec wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm a student who is considering volunteering in Africa over the summer for about a month or so. I was wondering if anyone knows any projects that are relatively inexpensive to do (around €2000 all in -flights, food, accomm etc) and are non profit, I know i-to-i try and make a profit off you and I really want to avoid those types of companies.

Also, if anyone could let me know of projects that are popular with other Irish students that would be great cos I dont want to go somewhere completely on my own. I'm unskilled but would be more than happy to teach english or get involved in community projects.

My initial impulse is to go to South Africa but if other countries are better to go to please let me know! thanks.

Why don't you do the 'tvp'. they were recruiting around various colleges recently!! and it is also in Africa !! you should look into it, i'm going to do it for 3 weeks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 voltaaid

Hi,

My name is Ashley Bulgarelli and I was a volunteer in Ghana until I discovered the illegitimacy of the organization I was working for was, which, unfortunately, is not a rare occasion. So, after assessing the situation I established my own volunteer organization that is real, transparent, and does actually help the community.

The name of this organization is Volta Aid Foundation (VAF) and you can take a look at the website here: www.voltaaidfoundation.org

I set up VAF built around the fundamental belief that each and every person, in each and every corner of the globe, has the right to social advancement through education, knowledge and empowerment and believes this is a service owed to humanity.

We do not charge unnecessary amounts of money and you will find these projects extremely cheap and affordable. VAF is a real organization with experience and understanding and we are not looking for a large profit or bank balance, we are looking for sustainability and development.

Please take the time to look at VAF's site, I can assure you if you come, you will have the experience of a lifetime, and you might find, just like me, you never want to leave.

Thanks

Volta Aid Foundation
    www.voltaaidfoundation.org
    voltaaidfoundation@yahoo.com

“Never before has man had such a great capacity to control his own environment, to end hunger, poverty and disease, to banish illiteracy and human misery. We have the power to make the best generation of mankind in the history of the world.” – John F. Kennedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Does your cost include travel? What was the name of your previous volunteer organization, its useful for other people to know which ones to look out for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

voltaaid wrote: »
    Hi,

My name is Ashley Bulgarelli and I was a volunteer in Ghana until I discovered the illegitimacy of the organization I was working for was, which, unfortunately, is not a rare occasion. So, after assessing the situation I established my own volunteer organization that is real, transparent, and does actually help the community.

The name of this organization is Volta Aid Foundation (VAF) and you can take a look at the website here: www.voltaaidfoundation.org

I set up VAF built around the fundamental belief that each and every person, in each and every corner of the globe, has the right to social advancement through education, knowledge and empowerment and believes this is a service owed to humanity.

We do not charge unnecessary amounts of money and you will find these projects extremely cheap and affordable. VAF is a real organization with experience and understanding and we are not looking for a large profit or bank balance, we are looking for sustainability and development.

Please take the time to look at VAF's site, I can assure you if you come, you will have the experience of a lifetime, and you might find, just like me, you never want to leave.

Thanks

Volta Aid Foundation
    www.voltaaidfoundation.org
    voltaaidfoundation@yahoo.com

“Never before has man had such a great capacity to control his own environment, to end hunger, poverty and disease, to banish illiteracy and human misery. We have the power to make the best generation of mankind in the history of the world.” – John F. Kennedy

First of all I have to acknowledge your website, it is highly informative. Normally when I am looking at volunteering website they can be quite vague and light on info, which usually lead me not to trust them. I admit I was dubious reading your post because these forums are used by for profit organisations to dupe people into paying exuberant fees, obviously what happened to you. I am a lot more trustworthy of you and your organisation after reading all about your work.
    Just one question. As you are only a new organisation have any volunteers actually gone over to the Volta region yet? Thought this aspect was missing from the website. You described previous projects but none seemed to involve volunteers.
    Good luck with your work, sounds fascinating

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Does your cost include travel? What was the name of your previous volunteer organization, its useful for other people to know which ones to look out for.

What exactly do you mean by travel? We transport volunteers from the airport in Accra to Ho (approx. 3 hours). Once in Ho, the home stays and program location are all within walking distance. If you did want to catch a shared taxi around Ho, it will cost you the equivalent of 30 US cents. As per extra travel, volunteers obviously have to fund this themselves and they are free to travel on the weekends and can arrange other days off to travel to further afield places.

Does this help?

I don't like spreading dirt on my previous organization but the name was Dream Africa Volunteer Service.

Thanks Kiwi_knock

I tried to make the website simple, informative and not full of misleading facts. I know what you mean about the big organizations posting on these sites, I've seen it everywhere, but I think once people see my site they will realize there are other options than with those big organizations.

Yes we are young and we have our fifth volunteer arriving soon. We have received extremely positive feedback from our first volunteers and have gained two international partners who, after hearing my story, wanted to align themselves with a real local organization.

Those projects were completed thanks to donations from my family and friends and in part to the first volunteers' contributions. Right now we have a fund in place for the orphanage we are working tightly with. This fund is aimed at raising money to help them build a new room. Currently people are sleeping outside as it is too cramped inside........

And those first aid workshops should be running by the end of May thanks to two Australian girls. I'm really excited about this!!!

Thanks for the encouragement

Advertisement